Background Image

The Possessed shown on todays livestream

Discussion in 'Chaos Space Marines' started by Djemo-SRB, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Seranov Seranov Confessor

I don't see the problem, here. They're giving us a reason not to drop 25 dollars.

The special ability will almost certainly be available in the advancement tree, and you can just tack that on to a normal Traitor Assault.
  2. Ultima75000 Ultima75000 First Blood!

With power fist as it is and the meta gear towards firearms and swing speeds the possessed marines are even more useless than their TT counterparts. No new mechanics, no wings, no or special dual wielding claws or a decent melee option. Just a glued on ugly power fist and a uglier look. News flash devs... 'Obliterators' haves Power Fists glued to their arms! (Or if you want the melee variants, 'Mutilators')
    XRuinX and CyberneticSaturn like this.
  3. Mhorge Mhorge Curator

You mean Obliterators? Or is it translated differently in your language? (because if English isn't your first, you're fantastic with it regardless, better than many actual English speakers).

Be nice if the devs actually made Marks somewhat *good* too. The mechanic of paying LP for something that nerfs you in some way and for marginal benefit is pretty stupid imo. I do it because I'm a fluffy player (even on TT; I can't bring myself to bring proper deathstars, as it's neither fun to play or play against) and this way I get to live vicariously as that Slaanesh Chaos Space marine I've always wanted too.
  4. Brosephelon Recruit

So after watching the live stream I wanted to compare what I could get a current Vet TA to be like compared to the showed Possessed.

What we know of the possessed.
    300 health, 300 armor, 150 toughness.
    Powerfist
    Slaanesh speed, no gun.
    Not sure about armor regen speed, stamina regen speed, or how much stamina they have.

What I was able to get with a current Vet TA.
    226 health, 350 armor, 150 toughness.
    Powerfist + Bolt Pistol
    No speed boost, nurgle stamina penalty, no extra stamina.

So the Possessed is effectively trading in its bolt pistol for 24 health and Slaanesh speed.

Visually the Possessed looks to have a Deathlock Cestus so master crafted stats on the power fist. Presumably it doesn't have the nurgle stamina penalties, possibly doesn't have the Slaanesh armor penalties.
    Overall I'm finding it really difficult to find a reason why I'd want to take a power fist only class with no shield, no pistol, no jet pack... literally just run fast while being nurgle style durable.

I don't even think power fists are bad, I have lots of fun with my stormboy power klaw build. Though thats a non-vet build so I can run it a lot and if it dies no worries I just spawn another one. Lets also be realistic here a melee build, especially a power fist melee build is going to die A LOT even if you inflated his durability. The fact he doesn't have a gun is also a huge issue. Most power fist/klaw fights in my experience come down to two things clanging until you break their weapon or getting a single hit in then gunning them down... with option two taken away this really REALLY hurts the general playstyle of using a power fist in combat.

The twitch stream also said that there were no real plans for a free advancement option for a "super mark" that was a hybrid of Nurgle and Slaanesh to get a free option. While I don't consider this a big loss by any means, the overall results and presentation just seems insanely lacking. I can't think of any situation I would want a Possessed over a Vet TA because atleast they still have a pistol even if they don't have the speed or durability... Hell I'm not even sure why I would want a power fist vet as often the power fist play style is VERY suicidal by nature in terms of punching gates, punching tanks, and getting into melee fights its probably just going to get shot from behind and die during.

Overall this is just becoming more of a let down than I would have considered possible before the reveal.
    CyberneticSaturn likes this.
  5. SmurfKun Tamu Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that's part of the point to avoid p2w hassle they made it possible for free players to get effecting same effect without having to buy
    Brujah likes this.
  6. There's no way to win using powerfist against anyone remotely competent if you don't have a gun. I actually don't understand how the vet class is expected to kill anything aside from sneak attacks with a power attack.
  7. Moria LordFranko Preacher

8. Viktor Aramorae TheWarpsmith Well-Known Member

I think the helmet is a little plain but other than that I like it, really digging the Gal Vorbak vibe so glad they went with WB's scheme. Increased speed likely won't be enough to justify it being melee only. They could add a good self-heal and/or a leap of some kind to make up for that
  9. I really like the overall look, though the helmet could use some work. Maybe if they gave it some life steal, or some kind of delayed passive health regen, it would make up for the lack of a ranged weapon.

Edit
    Actually I think it would be interesting to give some kind of bonus in relation to all the marks, it already has high toughness (Nurgle) and speed (Slaanesh) so maybe also give it some life steal (Khorne) and armor regen (Tzeentch). These values don't have to be as high as the marks as they don't come with the marks' downsides.
    Cegorach and Brujah like this.
  10. RuntKikka RuntKikka Well-Known Member

If they fix melee it will make up for the lack of pistol. :CSMWord:

Honestly I think the possessed is terrible all around in it's current state.

Looks bad, sounds bad, and has zero functional use.

25 bucks to gimp yourself it seems.
    XRuinX likes this.