Background Image

The hunt for the clothless Ranger

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by The-Forge-Dragon, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Shiani Brujah Preacher

If it's not an immense pain, could we get a screenshot from UE4 like the one you did previously so we can compare the higher poly cloak against your modified one?

It seems fine from the wiremesh, but that's often hard to extrapolate to the solid-state model version.
    The-Forge-Dragon likes this.
  2. Techpriest ImperatorTitanV Steam Early Access

Left is the old less optimized mesh, right is the new more optimized mesh.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Back: (on left is new mesh here, right is old mesh)

[​IMG]

The old cloak was 26k, this new one is now 13k (I slightly increased it from 12k to detail some of the folds more well). The backpack was previously 6.5kish, now it's about 4k.

I'm still internally debating whether that 2.5k reduction in the backpack was worth it, and I have some nagging thoughts about adding more detail to some of the folds that don't come out as well on the new model. I should probably say screw it and try to get this model out as soon as possible, but the perfectionist in me is troublesome... regardless, after a few more hours of work today, the retopology stage is now done. :)

So, in a few days from now, you will see it in the texturing stage, and then onto EC. :D

Hmm. Contact between me and Nathan, although positive, has been pretty intermittent and so I don't think he is waiting for this model. Otherwise, there would be more constant communication and guidelines set to me I think. At this stage he probably sees me as an unknown variable and is waiting for me to finish the model before making any decisions.

Also, @The-Forge-Dragon, I noticed I missed something you wrote in your post a while ago, my apologies about that. Yes, the Eldar Ranger will be fully Craftworld-coloured, including the armour. And I could see a lot of variant skins for the cloak especially.
  3. Asyran Eldritch Arkhona Vanguard

Don't worry about the Campaign... it won't arrive before 2018 at this rate :p.
  4. Contacted with Nathan? Wow. It brings little hope to me.
    Keep doing it dude. This ranger is amazing. You have a talent.
  5. Anvil The-Forge-Dragon Arkhona Vanguard

Honestly I think the robes look a little smoother and nicer like this, and the backpack looks good too in my opinion though it looks like the center flap on it is melting slightly on the right side. It could just be an effect of the lighting though.

Hearing that communication with Nathan is intermittent is a little worrisome, but I'm gonna be an optimist here and hope that it's as you say.

I can't wait to see the mad rangers of Altansar!

But it does raise a question about voice lines. I'm guessing the likelihood of voicing him to be pretty low as it stands right now but if so do you know of any generic voice lines he could use?
    Sily likes this.
  6. Dorfus Dorfus Steam Early Access

quote me on this and I dont tend to encourage people commonly but I believe you might be a spark of hope for both EC and the Eldar faction if you join the team.

also being a modeller as well may I ask, did you build this model from scratch or did you use any models extracted from EC? because having some modeller experience as well, I'd like to see what I can do with certain stuff. if I can extract models from the game that is. and if you built it from scratch then I must congratulate you because I honestly have no idea of how to make it so similar to an Eldar model from the game starting from scratch.
  7. Anvil The-Forge-Dragon Arkhona Vanguard

If memory serves he used the already existing dire avenger body and mixed it with elements of the striking scorpion before crafting the cloak, gloves, backpack, and other bits.
  8. If the git'z wearin' purple, good zoggin' luck findin' him
    Thana likes this.
  9. Techpriest ImperatorTitanV Steam Early Access

Sorry about the long pause in communication, I have been pretty busy, but I've been able to do more work on the model. The UV-mapping phase was highly time-consuming due to the double-sided nature of the robe, but it's done and I'm now about to start texturing, hopefully the texturing thread will be up by tomorrow or the day after if all goes well.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ignore the colours, they're WIP as I haven't started texturing it yet. I'm still not fully satisfied with the amount of detail in some of the normal maps, so I'm going to go back and redo those to squeeze as much detail as I can out of them. And of course some slight model editing is still required in certain parts.

The actual texturing phase should be very quick as seeing from the miniatures, there's not much additional detail to add for the default model. When the texturing phase is completed, the final product is showcased to
    Nathan and we'll see what happens... fingers crossed. ;)

Whatever the case, thank you all again for the support, and you have my profound gratitude for the interest you've shown in this.

Thanks for pointing it out, I'll take a look at the flap and see if it needs adjusting.

Regarding Nathan, yeah, it's worrisome for me as well. I've invested over 100 hours by now into this model, and so the idea of it all going down the drain is... nerve-wracking. I wish I could give you guys a solid promise on whether it'll work out, but as it is now I have no idea, and I don't think Nathan has much idea either as he said it's up to the higher-ups in bE.

As for voicelines, not sure, I would have to consult with the team. However, I do have plans on how to get some voice acting by professionals done cheaply, and I can edit the voices afterwards as I've worked a lot with audio before.

The Eldar base body and head is from EC (with some minor modifications done by me). Everything else, the robe, backpack, gloves, accessories, shoulderpads, etc, was done by me from scratch.

10. Looks awesome. The robe looks like it has some weight to it the way it sags where you'd expect it to.

Eldar models in EC look notoriously "naked" without ammo pouches, daggers on the belt, grenades and various other types of items on the models like you see in the artwork and on the miniatures. I really like the backpack and the other various items/gear adorning the model. These types of items are noticeably missing from EC.
    [​IMG]

BHVR could take some notes on how you modeled the point atop the hood. That look implies some stiffness and thickness to the material. Plus a nice pointy, deep looking hood just looks damned good.

The hoods and robes on the Dark Angel Veterans in EC are more like worn out paper thin rags draped over the model. TBH the DA "robe" and hood in EC is more of a super thin rag and honestly look atrocious and quite heretical. It would be really nice to see more stiffness and thickness to the DA robes as well as a nice pointy hood.
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG]