Background Image

The Descent To Arkhona Fan Fiction Competition

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by KatieFleming, Jul 25, 2014.

1. Vulkan Battleborn Curator

Curious that so many lament the very restrictions that encourage creativity. For it is not within freedom that creativity flows; nay, that way lies stagnation.

For my part, the only thing that the prescribed introductions take away is active voice; the rest is up to me.

Into the fire of battle, brothers. Unto the anvil of war!
  2. Quick thought, does it need to involve the playable factions of Eternal Crusade? Could we write, say... Imperial Guard? Or Tau? Or Squa-*HERE-BLAMMED*
  3. VM-Floofus Floofus Forum Beta Tester

I guess I could do something
  4. ...and we have our winner...
  5. Warsmith Matt Warsmith_Matt Well-Known Member

Nay, is thoust retarded? mayhapse ye can'st live in mine indentured servitude and live off scraps of food stuff whilst mine steel toed boots kicks thou'st peasant ribs.
  6. Ganelon Ganelon Well-Known Member

Pre-defined intros and a maximum word limit?

These stories are going to have the literary complexity of a children's novel.
  7. Vulkan Battleborn Curator

Brother, you mistake me. There's no feud to be gotten amongst ourselves. Let us show the fire in our hearts in the stories we craft, not in petty bickering.
    deathincarnate1337 likes this.
  8. Shadhunter Shadhunter Well-Known Member

Of course, that's all there's room for... Either that or you can't shoot anyone. And we all know you only win with violence. :p
  9. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

I think you are taking it too far Matt & Ganelon, just like most who feel 'intimidated' by the restrictions. It gives you a challenge. It pushes you further. Let's say you allow a short story to be up to 200 pages - that is not well. A short story has to be well... Short. And there are amazing, life-bending short stories of only 1-2 pages that can change your entire view on some topics.

A good, creative story is not about how wild and about you can go - But about how you deliver the core of your story. How you present it, the characters how they are and to show that through the writing.

I.E. Good Authors match the writing style to their characters. A less intelligent character most likely would have shorter sentences and be not very deep in his choice of words as well as the way PoV descriptions of his surrounding. Whereas a well educated character probably would notice and describe details in his mind through a monologue. Also the sentences would be longer and more complex to mirror his intelligence.

Good stories are not about how long they are - but how they are delivered.
  10. Shadhunter Shadhunter Well-Known Member

You mean pushes you to stop sooner and rush characters, rush plot? Fast action scenes, bland, generic characters. Should we even name them? A good story takes time to develop. How about that pre-define intro? You know how cheesy that will sound when paired with certain races. It'll sound SO forced it could break the whole thing.