Background Image

The Descent To Arkhona Contest Winners!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by KatieFleming, Oct 31, 2014.

1. https://drive.google.com/drive/#my-drive

I assume you're referring to my statement earlier. The truth is... it's all a matter of opinion. Because reading and what people like is a matter of opinion. But I've read the majority of the stories I could stomach to read. Truth be told I couldn't even make it through a lot of the stories people posted because they irked me too much to even proceed. Personally... I think my story is better than a couple of the top 20's I've read... I'm just going to move forward with the opinion that either GM didn't like where my plot was going because it messed with current plans.. or that there is a serious lack of taste in the judges office... And for the record.... I think GM's stories were less than fabulous... they are amateur in my opinion... no real depth. No "Wow Factor" from the judge himself. Does that make me freak'n arrogant? perhaps. But I KNOW a good story when I read one.
    Wraithmaster likes this.
  2. I really do not understand the logic of "why didn't a [insert race or faction here] win?"

The subject matter chosen has no bearing on the quality of the work.

Just because you believe your piece is wonderfully creative is no excuse to belittle the works of others. It seems to me that while you are spending so much time picking at the flaws and transgressions of others you ought to examine yourself a little more critically.
    FattestMarine and Infernal-xDAx like this.
  3. Frinn Frinn Arkhona Vanguard

Is there a place where we can read other 17 entries that I'm missing? Would love to read them.

Also those people that 'know the truth' and claim their story was much better, could you share those with us? I suspect you might be just a tiny little bit biased there.
    FattestMarine and Infernal-xDAx like this.
  4. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

Lol this reminds me of those cooking shows which Gordon Ramsay judges, everyone thinks their dish is awesome and super special and how they shouldnt be eliminated.

There is a judge in place for a reason (Graham) and he chose them after quite some time of pondering on the subject, dont be a sourpuss.
    Personally i enjoyed the first two winners, the third was okay-ish.
  5. Excuse me, but are you Graham McNeill? No? Then I don't think it's you that gets to decide which stories deserved to be in the top 20 or not. He read all of close to 400 entries, not you. This isn't a competition to get your short-story published, so it doesn't matter whether you had/didn't have an editor, or if your story had a 'Wow Factor' or not. These are Graham's personal favorites, end of story, get over it.
  6. Ivan Mulkeen ScorpioSymbol Well-Known Member

Just a head's up... your link doesn't work--it takes someone to their own google drive, not yours. You need to choose the item or folder and "share" the link, I think.
  7. Ivan Mulkeen ScorpioSymbol Well-Known Member

Actually, I'm the one who read all the stories and ranked them. Graham had the unenviable task of choosing the winners from the 20 I picked as the best; something, mum's knitting groups aside, I'm more than qualified to do ;)

Speaking of asides, if this thread continues with any more disparaging remarks directed at contestants, their stories, or any of the judges, I'm going to close it down and reprimand the offender(s).

Let's keep things civil and constructive, yeah? And congrats to the winners; I look forward to killing you filthy Ork lovers and Chaos worshipers soon.

Cheers :)

-Sym
  8. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

Thats how I feel as well. It seems they just came for the competition and nothing else ^^
  9. Oh please, what do you expect?

You are the one who is immature and rude. You come onto the forums and you talk derisively about everyone and everything else. You attack my work and the work of the other contestants. You deserve every bit of the disrespect that comes your way.

If you would like to post your work, we would all be happy to read it, I am sure it is a decent story. However, for whatever reason, it lost the contest. That does not mean you get to be insensitive and unkind to the people that placed. Learn some basic decency and have respect for your fellow fans and writers.

Until you can do that I suggest that you take a break from the forums. Nobody wants to listen to your selfish and venomous rants.
  10. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

It's a shame that Ivan gotta close this down because the three of you. (Gaahtred, Wraithmaster and CptRedbeard). But oh well - we can't have nice things. Someone always gotta rant.

To give this thread at least a bit dignity back. I appreciated personally the most that Ivan and Katie stood around with us during the competition instead of just leaving us in the dark. There were some issues with rule updates, but I am sure Katie will improve that over the next contests.

It's just a shame that it's over, because now all the excitement is kinda over. Hope the artists will have a similar experience like us writers with the current contest of making some artwork.