Background Image

The Challenge Of Running A Lot Of Animations In Modern Engines

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by PatrickBalthazar, Jan 27, 2014.

1. I was asked this on my profile page, and because it is something that cannot be answered with one sentence I moved this here:

First of all - rendering is not the bottleneck of modern engines when we talk about animations. Now there is a part of the translation and rotation calculations (skinning) that is done on the GPU in modern engines, but there is a lot more to it than just those calculations.

One important thing to know is, that like many other things, animations should be reduced in quality when done in a distance - this is called lodding, and is most commonly used for the 3d meshes in most engines.
    The same thing needs to be done for rigs/skeletons of characters. basically reducing movement and animations to only a few bones, because it's almost impossible to see on a 5-10 pixel large character anyway.

so to answer the question - there are certain ways to make any engine render a lot of animations, Mecanim (animation system of Unity) is there no exception.

just by googleing i have found this little video

this is certainly comparable to what we have in mind of how many players can be seen, but this is low poly and no lodding as far as i can tell :)

But as soon we can announce our engine and what we are doing I will for sure let you guys know on how we are making this possible with our tech!

Cheers!
  2. all hail the mighty balthazar :)
    the vid is intrissting ^^

but why deutsch rap? :D
  3. Brother Bardiel Brother-Bardiel Well-Known Member

I shall pray to the Omnissiah that your technical progress goes well Lead programmer.
  4. Domlink Serbo Member

I will also pray to the omnisiah, maybe you will be blessed with a few trusty servitors.
  5. Nostramo Born NostramoBorn Forum Beta Tester

All I see in that video is Dark Eldar. ;)
    That's impressive, if that is your goal!
    Vintage likes this.
  6. It will all work
  7. Mngwa Mngwa Well-Known Member

o_O

Hehe, I guess they do. Bald (although there are a lot of hairy DE too), skinny and dressed in black.
  8. Strange, uses unity to show this. *knows that unity is the game engine even though devs can't say it is
  9. It just shows how that engine uses it well, I'm certain that they have tried alot of engines and have narrowed it down.