Background Image

The Absence Of Ability Bars

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lord-Templar, Nov 21, 2013.

1. Jaccx023 Subordinate

Mmmmmm do you mean TERA online urian? because it sounds like it.
  2. Uriel1339 Uriel1339 Lord of Posts

Never touched that one..... So I do not mean that but could be they have a similar system.
  3. Ravion LordRavion Subordinate

Ive never even heard of that lol so im sorry I dont :(
    Urian Velos likes this.
  4. Jaccx023 Subordinate

All good bros but if your curious go look it up its a game where you have to aim to hit your enemy, worth watching for the mechanics and gameplay.....and other things.
  5. Frank FrankM Curator

<----loved terra online. loved how it's more of an action rpg and not a click, stand still, and pressing hot keys mmorpg. i also loved the alien world, not something you see in many games. something like xenoblade. and has imaginative races to play as
  6. Ryan Gosling RyanG Steam Early Access

if combat is gear based you can kiss balance goodbye.

anyone here play dc universe online when it first came out? level 10's could be level 30's if you played smart and they didn't. now thats not possible if the gear difference is too great.

gear ladders ruin the competitiveness of any game, which is why i liked shadowbane so much. it was easy to get good gear and start fighting, it was only hard to make a min/max character because you had to hunt down runes and even then you could just buy the materials you needed and run them through a forge and bam, 50% legendary long knives of the Vampyre (unless you could get a good t2 proc prefix) for your int based dodge thief, that also has undead hunter, and likes to run around half naked in windlord leather boots, and a jester hat, trolling warriors and templars to death with the fastest knives in the game, almost 200% dodge, and a name like candlejack or meatpacker.

long knives were some of if not the fastest daggers in the game(speed of 20.3 - lower is better) , the fact they didn't need much training to get to was even better . people would see me and think i was a joke, until after about 20 seconds of him not hitting me and me doing about 40 dps with a flurry of 1's, I suddenly truck him for 8000 hitpoints because my health and holy procs decide to rapid fire in a group and he falls over.

the trick however, was knowing how to pick your battles. dodge didn't mean for crap against ranged and spells, but if you did it right, like say catch a server reknown deflar all alone, what you would do is first steal is scrolls and potions, then you would stamina stab him and run for it. he would cast his bird thingy, fly up into the air, run out of stamina, then come back down. then you would hit him with the mana stab and run for it, and by whether he sat down and accepted defeat or not he was dead upon my return. to which i would teabag his corpse and say ";)" before the death tunnel took him.

I really miss that game. I even used to run around with obsidian and bloodstone in my inventory to punish me for screwing up, and to reward them for killing me.

oh and the chicken breasts. hue hue.
    ulfhednir and Ahremer like this.
  7. Frank FrankM Curator

good news, this isn't gear based
    ulfhednir and Urian Velos like this.
  8. Ryan Gosling RyanG Steam Early Access

they always start out that way.

but then it becomes "whats a good way to keep making money on this?" which inevitably falls on a gear ladder system, which then in turn boosts a sense of elitism and other forms of community trash. Ideally with such a system you want to introduce a gear score and then piece meal content so that you are effectively pay gated from large portions of the game, not to mention the trend of "oh if you're not massively overgeared for this we're not bringing you" further contributing to a "need the gear to play but have to play to get the gear" cycle. Sound familiar? Hilariously its the same "need experience to get job need job to get experience" mentality in current culture, which is why its so adaptable and profitable.
  9. Red_Shoehart Member

Well, there's no subscription, no instanced PvP, PvE is a small portion of the game and the battles are massive in scale. So it's pretty safe to say it won't be gear based and it will stay that way. It doesn't make sense otherwise.
  10. FarseerDaneel FarseerDaneel Well-Known Member

One of the things that always bugged the hell out of me in WoW as a hunter was having to watch the bars; so much that I couldn't watch the battle or such that much even with a crapload of keybinds to the keyboard and mouse. I quit at MoP but went back a for a little while a couple of months ago and the situation had grown even worse, with no real rotation rhythm to be had and random procs popping off constantly. I quit playing immediately after a couple of instances.

The secret world had it ok with about seven abilities to keep track of and usually seven anyone can keybind and just have to glance at the cooldowns and such... although it lacked some flavor I think. Guild Wars 2 massive pvp was a blast and pretty much hit the mark on being able to bind and needing a bit of clicking as well for specials. That said, the world didn't change much and it got a little stale after a while... it was a lot of fun though with explorable areas where the pvp world was happening.
    Urian Velos likes this.