Background Image

Tactic Altering Environments

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by Wolffe, May 17, 2014.

1. Wolffe Wolffe Subordinate

In the recent Chicago speaking engagement, Miguel Caron said the team was fast at work creating vastly different biomes & environments to allow for different strategies and tactics. He even mentioned some caves with many entrances and heavy brush near the entrances allowing for lightning fast geurilla tactics on unsuspecting enemies passing by.

I sincerely hope the team is creating even more juicy bits like this. One of the things that annoyed me about Planetside was how bland the environments were. Since all outposts & bases were layed out exactly the same (and in a way that doesn't make sense in a war), It didn't feel like a new battle or area you had to adapt to. It was rinse and repeat for every single base fight with very few exceptions.

I hope there is enough environmental variety to keep us all on our toes at nearly all times, so "cookie cutter" strategies don't emerge thus making the game boring.
  2. Revenlear Revenlear Subordinate

I agree with you. At least the bases have to be build individually, I'd be totally fine with a system using the same rooms, but the layouts are what is important. I think they said that the environment is generated, but they will do a good amount of handwork to make it play and look good.
    larrence83 and Luthor Wolffe like this.
  3. I would love some difficult terrain to work with, like swamps and jungles that force you to change your tactic to take that fort!
    larrence83 and Bjorn Hardrada like this.
  4. Wolffe Wolffe Subordinate

If the screenshots/artwork from the most recent Newsletter are any indication, we may be getting spoiled. Since Humans once inhabited the land but were decimated, apparently many abandoned structures exist but also many new ones built by the arriving forces.

Then again until we see in-game screenshots of the different types of areas & environments we can't be sure. I'm too jaded to allow myself to be too hyped for anything anymore no matter what anyone says, and perhaps that is healthy.
    larrence83 and Thunderfury 2575 like this.
  5. Kenairyan Anvael Well-Known Member

I don't think we have to worry too much about that: in the same interview Miguel said that he (as other member of the team, if I recall correctly) had studied military strategy in the past and actually plans to build a game that will feature a wide variety of terrain - with relatively plausible military infrastructure, I guess -, each requiring real organization of the troops and rethought tactics to gain advantage over a more reckless enemy.
  6. KillSlim KillSlim Prefectus

I'd like to see some vast differences in the environments we will see. For example, the standard desert, Arctic, jungle, and so on are fairly common in many of the games we see today which boast varied environments in their description. PlanetSide 2's environments were created with variation in mind, but ultimately they're dull and far from extraordinary. 40K has a lot of environments pushed to the ragged edge as a result of different catastrophes, like extreme centuries-long pollution, past orbital bombardments, re-emergence from the warp, and so on, there are far more interesting environments in 40K than the norm.
    Thunderfury 2575 likes this.
  7. Arkdawn Arkdawn Curator

Just got a idea of having area's that have low or no gravity, A area of distorted reality, Not large area's not whole zone's just like different sized pocket's, They could have huge rock's, large piece's of building's flying around, Forcing player's to make a whole new tactic for fighting in the pocket.

Just a idea, In my mind i can see this could be a lot of fun, And it would add to the game variety of terrain and maybe it can be a Chaos space marine WC power...world stop a Zerg attack force died in it's track's:D
    Thunderfury 2575 and Revenlear like this.
  8. They are working on the bases alot, every fortress is hand made with some similarities. It is confirmed there will be some destroyable doors/gates in fortresses and more.
    I'm just wondering if any of this will work with Tyranids.
  9. Wilkil New Member

From the screenshots we've gotten so far, it seems to me that there will be a variety of environments to contend with. Plus in an interview (I forgot which one) there was mention on how each continent will have different biomes/weather patterns.
    cupcakeunleashed likes this.
  10. Wolffe Wolffe Subordinate

That sounds nice. I hope we get some nice rain on the jungle biome. Rain could wonderfully change up the game. Class combinations, strategy, level design & environmental effects all impact the funness and re playability.
    cupcakeunleashed likes this.