Background Image

Suspension and Ban Policy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by KatieFleming, Mar 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Whitefox550 Whitefox550 Well-Known Member

I assume anyone who doesn't understand their terms and services will also misuse their tenses.

And I see nothing here to dissuade me from that notion.
  2. Alright guys chill out. Either keep it civil or you will lose the ability to post here.
    Whitefox550 likes this.
  3. Whitefox550 Whitefox550 Well-Known Member

Is it still offensive if it goes over their head?

*And this is how @Asheru becomes the new Visarch, by skinning a fox and wearing its pelt as a cape*
  4. Forgrim Forj Battle-Skald

That's actually hacking, though not actually cheating per se. You're not allowed to modify game files, it's proprietary software, you don't need to read the TOS to know this. Blizzard uses a tool to detect such tampering by third party software.
    Whitefox550 and DrDooManiC like this.
  5. I've read about someone who got Vac-Banned at Counterstrike, just because he implemented a plugin for easier streaming. He complained of course, no advantage for him ingame, but he tempered with gamefiles, and thus got banned. If that's right or wrong, not on my end to decide. but when it's about things like aimbots or unlimited veterans, i think common sense should tell you if that's okay or not
    Whitefox550 and Forj like this.
  6. IshanDeston Ecaja Steam Early Access

Exactly... and you signed that with a click saying "I have read these"... so you then turning around and saying "i have not read these" is a little strange. Basically what you are saying you lied on your contract...

Now if that contract holds up in court is an entirely different debate, but you did sign that you READ the contract.
    Whitefox550 likes this.
  7. Pouncey Pouncey Subordinate

It did not go over my head.
  8. Pouncey Pouncey Subordinate

You know, I did figure that out like 3 years ago.

When they said I was hacking and told me to go read the Terms of Service, I did. I looked for the part that described hacking. And I read the part where it talked about modifying the game files. And I remembered that voice mod, and I went immediately and deleted it and never reinstalled it.

I wasn't trying to say that what I did didn't qualify as hacking. I said it did qualify, repeatedly. I was very emphatic about that.

I was saying that it seemed okay to me, because all it did was change my character's voice. That's not cheating. I don't gain any advantage from that. No one's hurt by that. So my common sense said, "This is not wrong, because this is just customizing my personal copy of the game to something I like better, not cheating."

And I had assumed that the rules about hacking I'd heard about were intended to stop people from cheating. Because I don't cheat, I was really oblivious to the rules around cheating, so I didn't know that creating new files in the game folder was wrong, in part because that's also how the game's permitted addons work - you add the files to a specific folder.

And this is my point. Common sense will not always help you avoid getting banned.
  9. Pouncey Pouncey Subordinate

Yup.

Every time I install a piece of software or sign up for an account, I lie on the contract.

And I do it because the terms are enormously long and written in a language I don't understand properly.

You guys saw a page or two back when I started quoting parts of the Terms of Service?

I wasn't trying to twist the meaning.

My descriptions were literally how I interpreted it.

Because it's a legal document. And I've never learned how to read legal documents, because I really had no reason to.

It may as well be written in Wingdings for all the good it will do me, because legal terminology is so different from conversational terminology that I'd basically need a translator to understand the Terms of Service.

And then if I just never sign any of them... well, I can't do anything on my computer anymore. I can't install any software. I can't create accounts anywhere, because everything has one of these things. I can't even install Windows.
  10. Katie Fleming KatieFleming Community Manager

Closing this thread
    Jorimel and DongSlayer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.