Background Image

Stat-based Alternative rules?

Discussion in 'Table Top' started by Traum, Jan 19, 2016.

1. Traumkampfer Traum Active Member

Been watching battle reports and getting interested in becoming a tabletop player, but as I come from a card game background, I was wondering if some fans ever came up with an alternative rules system that uses stats instead of dice rolls to determine things?
    Like "Space Wolf Lightning Claw Termie: 80atk 50def 100hp 6inch move"?

Mostly asking out of curiosity, as I personally find stats preferable to dice rolls. I know stats exist in Tabletop, but the default rules leave most things up to random chance (Dice rolls) :)
    I hope asking something like this isnt double heresy or something xD
  2. E-50_Panzer E-50_Panzer Well-Known Member

It may be possible, but I think there is a reason the thousands of tabletop miniature games use dice and not stats.

But reasons I would choose dice rolling over stats are: A. It's more realistic, you can't expect your troops or anything to go a certain way every time on the battlefield, you have to add give and take into your decisions in real life. B. Who doesn't love rolling all 1s?

Not to say I wouldn't play any stat based conversion though.
  3. I think there was a 40K TCG that was around for a brief period of time. Might be a place to start.
  4. E-50_Panzer E-50_Panzer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I have it, but FFG also has one of their own, and it seems heavily inspired from that older card game. Don't forget about the horus heresy one they had for a time either.