Background Image

Spatial OS

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Synaptic, Dec 12, 2018.

1. Kasper Synaptic Cipher

I have no hope left for Eternal Crusade. It failed for a lot of reasons, but one of them was it's reliance on unproven tech to facilitate the scope they needed. By the time Piko Server turned out to be so much snake oil, it was too late. Miguel and friends had already sold everyone on the idea of Planetside 2: Warhammer 40k edition, and the subsequent disappointment and mass exodus was entirely unavoidable.

Our best bet at this point would be an entirely new project, but I don't see that happening any time soon. The most frustrating part is that we know the style of game that EC planned to be is entirely within the realms of possibility -- it wasn't some impossible pipe dream. The aforementioned Planetside 2 pulled if off in 2012, as did its predecessor in 2003. The team behind EC just didn't have the means to make it happen.

Now, I'm not holding my breath for a miraculous resurrection, and I'm sure the 2 people left on EC's dev team have heard of this, but on the off chance that they haven't: Spatial OS is a server meshing solution that's supposed to allow a butt load of players to occupy any given instance, only really restricted by rendering constraints. It can plug into UE4 and a hand full of games are already being developed with it.

https://improbable.io/games

Sounds familiar, right? I can't say if this is Piko Server 2.0 or not, but we actually have a few videos of it working:

Obviously there's still a massive list of things keeping this game in the grave, and even if Spatial OS is everything the marketing blurbs claim, the time and resources required to completely restructure the game's netcode are most likely out of the question with the size of the current dev team and their proportionately minuscule funding. Even so, some naively optimistic part of me thinks EC could turn around and actually get close to what it was originally intended to be if given the right tools.
    LOBOTRONUS and RustyRake like this.
  2. Teef Trooper909 Recruit

I can't see this ever working.Unreal or at least every single game I have ever seen on that engine is poorly optimized and alot of people can barely run games at 15v15 on it.Let alone how poorly optimized EC is.

This is a moot subject for EC anyway since we have no devs and never will have.
    LOBOTRONUS likes this.