Background Image

So...what Happened To Miguel...?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Corphy, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Jericho Jericho Forum Beta Tester

I wonder if his policy of transparency ran into the wall of no live footage and things became untenable.
    I'm still not quite up to speed on the whole no live footage embargo, have we received any word on what the issue is or where it emanates from.
  2. I imagine it had something to do with despite them explaining that the footage was pre-Alpha in every episode there would still always be people in the Youtube comment section yelling, "Dez grafics look like shit!!" There was even a guy who was adamant that pre-Alpha footage doesn't exist.
    Corphy likes this.
  3. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

Ironically whilst a stupid reason to stop, i can very well see some bE shareholder going all "omg PONYFONDLER95 told us the video sucks! shut down everything!".
  4. Galen Galen Arkhona Vanguard

Can i have the adress of "ponyfondler95" i would like to..."talk" with him.
    Djemo-SRB likes this.
  5. I had a captain once on a naval vessel who informed the navy that our ship could stay on mission in 18 foot seas, and that the navy didn't have to worry about getting us out of the way of the storm. The navy said ok, but stay within this area and don't go on mission. Upon getting this message the captain said "fuck the navy, this is my ship." And promptly took the ship to the mission area. The ship got roughed up pretty good along with everyone else on board. We were taking water on where we didn't even know water could come through. The navy sent a message out to us asking what the hell we were doing some 200 miles or something from where we were supposed to be. Captain basically said this is my ship, I'm taking her to the mission area. Navy basically replied with an "oh no, this is OUR ship, and your last mistake," and promptly relieved him when we got back into port.

Now we are contractors, and were not privy to the whole story at the time, so when we (the crew) asked the company what happened to the captain, we were told he decided to retire. It wasn't until we got the real story from some other comtractors onboard handling comms that we found out why we were in that shitty storm.

That is a sea story, and the moral is just because you get put in charge of something don't mean it's yours to do as you like all the time. Of Course that's just speculation on my part, could have just been an impersonal corporate restructure.
  6. From what we've heard it is some sort of NDA with another party, guessed to be the engine contract.
    TheEasterplatypus and Vaanes like this.
  7. Fenris Fenris Cipher

It be wonderful if at some point these executives of these gaming companies were actually gamers themselves and got involved in the development and/or community interaction, instead of just being blind number crunchers and CYA execs.
    Galen and Vaanes like this.
  8. Raghnall Wonderboy2402 First Blood!

Miguel has dropped hints that he will be working on a new project, perhaps in a studio of his creation... Maybe even a kickstarter?
  9. Unahim Unahim Curator

Why all the conspiracy theories? They restructured the company, which means that instead of having a lead designer on each team and then a Head of Studio above that, they decided that the latter job was not needed, so scrapped it. Nothing to do with Miguel's personal performance or policies ('his' policies are alive to this day). This was probably not the only job they cut, either.

I miss Miguel too, but if they had to cut costs in the personnel department I can see how his job could be considered an unnecessary luxury.
    Grall_Stonefist likes this.
  10. Fenris Fenris Cipher

The thought that such a significant person to this game was let go simply to save on his salary seems unrealistic. And let's not forget that they brought in someone else as soon as they let Miguel go, so they still are paying someone for what Miguel did.

The community loved Miguel and cheered his vision and ideals. That alone should more than justify his salary.

When a company lays off 75% of their workforce, that indicates it was a cost saving measure. When you only hear about 1 key person being let go, that usually indicates a difference in opinions on some level.

Obviously there will be no way to tell if having Miguel or not having him would make the game more successful, but I guarantee if for some terrible reason the game does not become everything we want it to be, people will blame the studio for letting Miguel go.
    Galen and Vaanes like this.