Background Image

So About That Outcast Ranger...

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by BrentEllison, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Zavalus Zavalus Well-Known Member

First of all, thanks Brent for explaining how the Ranger class will be implemented. This really shows that you devs have respect for the community. At this point, I must say, I'm really glad that BE is developing the game. Keep it up!

As for the Ranger class itself, I'd like some clarification.

As I understand Founders will be able to buy early access to the Ranger. Am I right? If so, I think it's a good idea and you can go all the way with this. It will allow you to beta-test upcoming classes and balance them for future implementation.

Another thing - from what you're saying, I understand that the Ranger will be able to fullfill a sniping role only if given a proper loadout. Am I right? If so, again, it's a good idea and it actually goes along with the lore, since actuallynot all Rangers are snipers.

And lastly - if Rangers will not have a unique gameplay, will there be any other Eldar classes that will be able to fullfill a sniping role with a proper loadout?
    Carontehell2 likes this.
  2. Brent Ellison BrentEllison Former Lead Game Designer

I should clarify that when I say sniper role, I mean the guy that uses a zoom mode to pick off infantry at a longer range than anyone else in their faction. So yeah, it can take a variety of forms, and even the Orks can get in on the party, although it might not be quite like the precision shots that others have (if you ever played Serious Sam back in the day, that's what we're going to prototype first) . In the game right now, the Stalker Bolter can be fired in either burst or single mode and it still feels like a heavy soldier's weapon.

This also means that we'll be adding more of the sniper class-style gameplay in the future when we expand the role (hiding while staying still, scouting, long-range status effect application, etc). It's just that at launch we're focusing on the more grimdark & personal forms of warfare before pushing out in that direction.
    Red Death, Asurael, Avatos and 3 others like this.
  3. xDAx Dragon Seccy Subordinate

40K doesn;t really do bolt-action. Technology has far surpassed such primitive designs.
  4. FabricatorGeneral Unbihexium Forum Beta Tester

I did say functionally like bolt actions/ semi autos. I know you can't really apply such terms to half the weapons that will feature in this game. That said, Vindicares are pretty much classic bolt babies. I can just imagine those guys camping a hill miles away from the front and mildly frustrating the troops with their plinking.
  5. Brent Ellison BrentEllison Former Lead Game Designer

• Founders can buy an Outcast Ranger with a limited loadout. This character has his own flavor (he's particularly spec'd for sniping), but he's not the only way to fill the sniper role at launch.
    • Yeah, roles are actually based on loadouts (and in particular, weapons), not classes. There are multiple roles in any given class based on how you equip them. Therefore hero/elite characters are mostly limited to a single role.
    • Dire Avengers are able to spec out into a role more like a sniper if you upgrade your weapons and outfit yourself in that direction.
    Oh yeah, note that when I say "buy", even the cheapest pre-order in the Founder's Program comes with enough points to buy a hero/elite character.
  6. Bob Well-Known Member

I was always under the impression that Ork snipers worked at close range, and with shotguns.
  7. FabricatorGeneral Unbihexium Forum Beta Tester

Can you by any chance give at least some kind of relative figure on the cost of these unique units? I know this diverges from the topic but I recently saw 25k points being used as an example and that number made me scream internally at the realization of how little my founder pack would get me in such a situation.
  8. Brent Ellison BrentEllison Former Lead Game Designer

Miguel's really your man for this so you should send him a poke, but you get 40k points in your $40 Founder Pack.
    Red Death, larrence83, Alchir and 2 others like this.
  9. FabricatorGeneral Unbihexium Forum Beta Tester

Thanks, will do. Also isnt it late in Montreal? Do you people ever sleep or is posting here the only rest Miguel allows you guys?
  10. Brent Ellison BrentEllison Former Lead Game Designer

Heh, actually I am starting to crash so this will probably be my last post for tonight. Gonna watch some Netflix and then get some sleep!