Background Image

Smart pistols

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Safreadis, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:45 PM.

?

Would smart pistols' removal increase game's health?

1. Definitly yes, remove auto-aim.

2. No, that's not a problem.

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Safreadis Safreadis Arkhona Vanguard

Greetings people.

I would like to have your opinion on these things.

What is the purpose of a smart pistol?
    Is it to give an option to a completely brain-dead zombie to play the game? (why would zombie be rewarded for being zombies?)
    Is it because shooting is hard? (then why the heck is range "dominating" the battlefield, according to many melee activists?)
    Is it because the devs haven't removed it yet for they wait for a good rant? (that would be the first or last time)

What is the reason this thing still exists or existed in the first place?

And more importantly, would you like it to be removed?

(side note: I am aware this is likely the 514th thread about this, but the "smart" weapons should have been deleted a long time ago, alongside the autoaim of the stormbolters [which was removed].)

I mean, if I get killed by a bolter, a Shuriken Catapult, or a Shoota, I can pester all I want, it actually took some skill from my opponent to aim at me, follow my movements, ACTUALLY AIM and pull the trigger.
    Smart pistols are literally "I iz push lock on and tap LMB lulz". That is the depiction some melee activists are trying to make of range. Well that is the only case where it is right. Now do your part, melee activists, you've got the chance to get rid of the worst part of range combat.
  2. Judasilfarion Silfarion Drill Abbott

Tired of getting shot down too often? :D

I think getting rid of them would be fair, not sure about for controller users though since this game is supposed to also be for console eventually
  3. RageScreama RageScreama Well-Known Member

It is needed in some scenarios buuuuut...I don't really think the smart pistols should be capable of dropping people on their own in one clip. Maybe cut their clip capacity so that they are just harass/finishers instead of being able to 100% people on their own.
    Choure likes this.
  4. Aceryl Aceryl Menial

They do less dmg. It's a drawback on its own.

I personally don't use them...because i prefer the dmg, aiming when i want to, and that the aim consistency after an enemy roll is just better with the non smart one.

They are far from beeing a problem though.
    NinjaPlays, Idaeus, Ilseum and 2 others like this.
  5. Targeting cogitators. Lore friendly.

Next.
    rhoomba, Plongo, NinjaPlays and 3 others like this.
  6. Safreadis Safreadis Arkhona Vanguard

My problem is not the fact that they can 100->0 people (although they can do that to half Eldar classes), but the simple fact it doesn't take the slightest amount of skill to use. Range combat is supposed to be about aiming. Close range combat still respects that rule. Why would a smart pistol be an exception to the rule?

To answer you @Silfarion , Yes, I'm a bit tired of getting shot out of the sky on EVERY SINGLE FACTION, because I do play LSM, Orks and CSM from time to time.
    Actually, it's less a bother on my hawk than on any other class, but it's still absolutely stupid as a weapon.

They technically aren't a problem. It's just... "I haz auto aim!!!" doesn't feel legit to me. For melee... why not. Lock on for melee, okay.
  7. FreeMek Gortflagg Nexle09 Arkhona Vanguard

Literal aimbot. Not balance friendly

NEXT!
    Balance>Lore anyday
    Reede, Aislinn, kharnzor and 4 others like this.
  8. Lynata Lynata Active Member

Is this actually an issue? Melee lock (which afaik also means the pistol lock) only establishes in only melee-range, at which point you might just as well stab them with whatever weapon you swing.

From how I perceive it, you'd only give off one or two shots with the pistol until one of the combatants closes in for a melee attack, at which point trying to continue shooting just won't end well. The only situation in which the lock might actually confer some sort of advantage is when you'd actually dance around an opponent squeezing off shots ... and the opponent doesn't challenge you. But if you habitually do this, why not just take an automatic weapon for even more damage? Why pick a melee class when you don't actually intend to go into melee?

Swapping the auto-lock pistol for its basic equivalent was among the first changes in my Loadouts. More damage > auto-aim.
    NinjaPlays and Dharchaon81 like this.
  9. DongSlayer DongSlayer Steam Early Access

Smart bolt pistols need a buff .
    @Safreadis come at me bro :p
    Safreadis and Cegorach like this.
  10. Deathwish Deathwish Subordinate

I'm probably one of the players pissing him off. Melee class + Smart pistol = dead target. It's quite effective and it's really funny actually. I only seem to have issues with the smart hitting orks given that the smart aims for the head and orks have no neck.

On a side note, I got the Assassin com as Raptor earlier tonight. To be fair the game started off 1v7ish and didnt load in more players til about 3 mins left on the clock which left the Eldar panicked to cap a point.