Background Image

Skulls for the Skull Throne! Free Skull cosmetics (this weekend only) and new patch!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by KatieFleming, Jul 20, 2017.

1. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

Plasma pistols are awful sidearms, bolt pistol > plasma pistol in literally every way that matters. Only thing plasma pistol has is more damage per shot.

[​IMG]

Chart's calculations imply 100% accuracy by the way.
  2. I really, REALLY hope that the Eldar cosmetic for their campaign makes up for this helmet. The fact that their cosmetic for this event is class locked when the others are general use is very disappointing, and that's even leaving aside that it's a recolour.
    ProteusVM and 0strum like this.
  3. Utherix Utherix Firebrand

:EldarWarlock::EldarWarlock::EldarWarlock::EldarWarlock:

The Gellar Field has failed! Navigator, initiate emergency warp exit!
    NostramoBorn likes this.
  4. Utherix Utherix Firebrand

You must have missed the part where it STUNS PEOPLE after a VERY short charge. Also, its headshot has incredible burst potential, good for finishing off foes. Additionally, it has extra penetration for icing on the cake. Your own chart even shows it has almost double the damage potential, which if you know anything about EC min/maxing, is amazingly useful.

In conclusion, you're wrong that DPS is always best, but ESPECIALLY in this case.
  5. yeah im so sorry for Elves get trolled so hard
  6. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

Wrong thread for balance discussion/argument but eh, it's not being used for much else anyway.

That stun requires you to directly hit someone with the plasma projectile, a slow traveling projectile with drop off that basically only works at point blank and even then, requires a brief pause after firing in order to start firing regular pistol shots again.

The damage potential for 100 LP is only really worth it on a veteran build, if you're taking it on a regular build - you're gimping your own loadout. It provides no significant advantages outside of headshot alpha damage, the only class it might be viable on is a melee class but even then, I'd rather spend 100LP on extra stamina than a pistol that barely increases my lethality at range.

Hell, I'd even take a mercury/cythii(chaos burst pistol) pattern pistol over a plasma pistol because of that headshot damage in rapid succession with high accuracy and quick reload speed.

You're more than welcome to pop into game and show me how much better the plasma pistol is against a bolt pistol mind you.
  7. Utherix Utherix Firebrand

Haha, no. I already correctly pointed out how you're wrong. No, your personal preferences don't change the utility of increased headshot burst damage or the math of doubled damage potential, or how 20 pen makes their DPS almost equal in some circumstances.

And 100 LP is notoriously worthless by itself, so I don't know what you're going on about.
  8. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

100 LP is enough to fully mod a ranged weapon such as a bolter, so it's a fairly significant cost implication.

The stun charged shot is pointless outside of point blank. At which point you're wasting time that you could be using to deal more damage by not making use of the stun shot especially if it (likely) misses, in that time a bolt pistol can fire approx 4 - 5 shots.

RPM & DPS are the only factors that affect the ability of a sidearm to provide its primary function - close quarters defense.

Relying purely on the maths is faulty too mind you, which is why I mentioned that these imply an accuracy rating of 100%, it doesn't factor in the spread or potential misses. A bolt pistol will always be more forgiving and, with a higher rate of fire and comparable reload speed, will usually come out on top especially if you land headshots, at which point the plasma pistol only really has that extra 5 damage to crutch on.

20 pen also has zero impact on shots to kill, unless your opponent has 160 toughness and EHP of over 340. Then it's one shot less.

You can find the calculator here, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...iODauq4siW8kxIdpa4HngSLVGQ/edit#gid=785184240 it is a little outdated thanks to the new update messing with the armour/hp values but other than that, up to date.
  9. Dragon Dracon Arkhona Vanguard

Thank you for the presents
    NostramoBorn likes this.
  10. Bob Mr_Bob Member

For Gork and Mork, how am I supposed to have a proper scrap now?
    0strum and ProteusVM like this.