Background Image

[SHOWCASE] Eldar Ranger Model by Techpriest

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ImperatorTitanV, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Techpriest ImperatorTitanV Steam Early Access

Hello everyone!

For the last two months, I have been working on an Eldar Ranger model to be integrated into Eternal Crusade as part of an internship program - some of you will know this already, having tracked my progress in the Eldar forum thread. (https://forum.eternalcrusade.com/threads/the-hunt-for-the-clothless-ranger.65975/page-19) I have already spoken to Nathan about this, and his reaction has been very positive, but there has been no official agreement yet. Since the model is so close to completion, I decided to open up a thread in the general discussion for greater exposure, and for more people to weigh in. Anyway, without further ado, here are the pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Additional details and shots in this Imgur album as the forums restrict me from posting more:

http://imgur.com/a/MLQvK

Aside from the Eldar body armour and helmet, everything you see has been modelled from scratch by me, and all of this content is game-ready and good to go. This is all with minimal lighting and no post-processing, so you are seeing the model and textures raw - to make the design process easier. Later, in-engine, you will see it with all the additional lightning, post-processing, ambient occlusion, etc.
    So, what is left to do? The model is in its final stage, which is texturing. The texturing phase will be divided into three stages:

Material Painting
    Pattern Painting
    Detail Painting

We are in the first stage, which is material painting. Don't worry, these stages will not take very long to get through - this entire process should be done in 2-3 days from now. For material painting, I'd like to ask all of you what kind of material - giving surface detail - should the remaining pieces of the Eldar Ranger's kit have? As you can see, the robe, leg-guards and gloves are already done - the robe has a textile fabric feel to it, and the leg-guards and gloves have a leathery feel to them, for that more rustic and worn feel to the Ranger.
    So my question to you, how should the pieces which haven't received their material texture look like? This is the backpack, pouches, trinkets, etc. I will post some more pictures of the pieces in question and the reference miniatures I used in the next post, as this post is restricted to 6 images.

If everything goes to plan, and Nathan accepts my internship, then there will be more of these community-participation threads as I work on pumping out future content (e.g new classes like LSM Scouts, Chaos Warpsmiths, Ork Weirdboyz and of course TEQs, new weapons, new maps, etc). I intend to let all of you have a voice at every stage of the design process, so that the Eternal Crusade that you play would be one that truly bears your own hallmark - and if you're happy with it, I'm happy with it.

Feel free to ask any questions, add suggestions or criticism below. I'm open to all and any feedback. Thank you all for your interest, and thanks again to everyone who encouraged and followed me in the previous thread. :) Also, sorry if I don't reply back in these first few hours of posting, it's 4:30AM here and I'm about to pass out. :D
  2. Techpriest ImperatorTitanV Steam Early Access

Undetailed pieces and reference images in this follow-up post:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Don't worry about any jaggedy edges or clipping, there will be further refinement of those areas. Also, don't worry about the base colouring, it's just being inspired by the miniature below. In the actual game, the Eldar Ranger will be coloured after your Craftworld. After the material painting is done, there will be further work in fleshing out the textures, adding the patterns from the miniature (e.g the zig-zag lines), and just more polish in general, adding dirt, dust and other minor details.

Front of official GW miniature I used as reference for modelling the Ranger (on the right):
    [​IMG]
    Back of unofficially painted miniature
    [​IMG]
  3. Karandras Codex33 Drill Abbott

4. MungFuSensei MungFuSensei Steam Early Access

I love it, but no matter what, do not do shiny materials on the cloth sections. I feel like I'm wearing a rubber suit when I play warlock. Or hell, it can be a little shiny, but in the way that silk can be shiny. You have to find the middle ground between exotic alien materials and stealthy. The leather backpack material you have on their now is a good start, but the cloak could be toned down in shininess just a tad.
    JojoKasei and Alb like this.
  5. Caentyr Caentyr Subordinate

Wasn't the idea for this scrapped in favor of the Autarch? Also, Wasn't it said by nathen that cloth animations would not be possible (or extremely hard) in this game?

Not being a dick or anything, just saying.
  6. Techpriest ImperatorTitanV Steam Early Access

Yeah, in-game it will not be reactive to lighting in this way (as per fitting for a textile cloak). I only added the lighting here so that some of the more intricate details can be more readily apparent.

It was scrapped because they had no assets for it and to make the Ranger would have been more expensive and time-consuming than to make the Autarch, since both would rely on cloth physics (seeing as the Autarch is using the Warlock body). However, as for the Ranger, I'm going to hand-animate it where I need to and avoid any usage of cloth physics given how badly it tends to distorts.

We've seen Eldar Rangers done this way before by other games, such as Dawn of War, so I feel this approach would be, although much more time-consuming, a sure-fire way to work. I've discussed that bit with Nathan and he agreed with it.

In any case though, I am intending this to be a basic class (although Nathan would have the final say in that department) rather than an RTC elite, so the Eldar Autarch elite would go ahead either way. Later on, I'll do an entirely separate new body, head and accessories for the RTC Eldar Ranger, this time with a face of course as per with the artwork.
    Brujah, Sily and Talron like this.
  7. Horus Firskon Subordinate

[​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG]
    Iyan, Sily, Noromiz and 1 other person like this.
  8. Razmirth Sneaky-krumpin Subordinate

You have my vote for president. Unfortunately I don't think much will come of it, and even if it does it may not be enough to bring numbers back up to what we all hope for. But good work, honestly it's good to see someone with some skill. Maybe they should give u a job...if you give a shit this much about the game, they could use you.
    Drakonite likes this.
  9. Techpriest ImperatorTitanV Steam Early Access

That's what I'm hoping for (internship, not the Presidency) :p. If they do accept me to work with them, I can dedicate a lot more time and pump content out. I'm planning to release the Ranger with a bunch of other content (so that LSM, Chaos and Orks are not left out), and to keep doing "content updates" like this, alongside cosmetics and general polishing of existing EC assets, until eventually it culminates in the free expansions that were promised (with Terminators, equivalents and Warlords et al).
  10. -WCA-Vola Talron Moderator

Where have you been all this time? If this goes through this may be a turning point for EC and granted it is only one class but this is the first of many ripples to form in the pond. Thank you for your work on this project. You have my vote.
    Sily likes this.