Background Image

Scars, Burns, Armor Chips, and Other Damage Customization

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by Poked, Dec 20, 2015.

?

How many trains are?

1. Yes.

2. No.

3. B100d

4. It's a mystery *_*

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ohyoupokedme Poked First Blood!

A lot of us probably think scars and stuff are pretty badass, and it shows that you've had experience in battle.

If that is the case, such things should be pretty hard to unlock as a customization, to show that you didn't just put a scar there to feel cool. In Skyrim, there are all these scars but I don't have any meaning or story behind them. It's for looks. What if there is a story behind it? What if unlocking damage customization required an experience that almost led to your own death?

Here is what I had in mind: Scars and stuff can be unlocked through certain achievements, but can also be unlocked by having "close calls" with enemy encounters. If you and a Chaos Boy go at it, and the battle leave you severely wounded by still standing, you unlock one scar that you can place somewhere on your armor (the kind of scar depends on the weapon used, which I will get to in a sec). You can unlock one scar every five or ten levels gained, so that you can't just get a hundred scars early on in progression. Same goes with burns or other armor damage.

You unlock certain scars depending on what weapon is used. A Deep Gash scar, which is deeper and kinda jagged, can be unlocked by having a close encounter with one with a power axe. Or a Clean Slash can be unlocked by one with a power sword. So on and so forth, use the imagination.

The scars can be customized (to a reasonable extent) to determine how wide or long it can be, and you can place the scar anywhere on the body. Think of it like making a line in a photoshop program or paint; you click the point you want the scar to start and move it around in any direction you want it to be. If you wanna scar across a Space Marine's body armor, you click at one end of the armor, move it to the ending point, and click again. Then, you can manipulate the scar as you wish. The scar will be modified depending on what surface it goes over. So, if you want five scars going every which direction on your body armor, you can do that. If you want a scar on your face, you can do that. If you want a scar on your head, you can do that. Foot? Yes. Back? Yes. Legs? Yes. Wanna scar that transitions from your cheek down to your chest armor? Sure.

I don't know if this kind of thing has been implemented in other games, but I think this should be taken into consideration.
  2. Have a scar that stretches across your mouth.
    Become Ork Joker.

"Itz simpul. Kill da Nite Lord".
    ComradeHavoc, Poked and Jochon like this.
  3. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

It would be cool for sure, but considering that on the last Twitch when asked about faces (Space Wolves were the topic) i do recall them saying its going to be a set of faces and that there wont be a face creator as such. So going from that, i doubt customizable scars would make an appearance.

Even more than that id like to see worn, scratched and damaged armor decals, so you can feel like a warrior of ten thousands years of war.
    Sangvinivs likes this.
  4. Marcvs Sangvinivs Arkhona Vanguard

I fully agree
    Cloud and Djemo-SRB like this.
  5. That's a shame, a full slider Fallout 4 setup would be a bit much to hope for, but I'd hope they can at least have it so you can mix and match. So something like 5 sets of eyes, 5 sets of chins, etc to give a bit more customization than presets.
  6. Ohyoupokedme Poked First Blood!

I'm okay with presets, as long as there is a large variety other than bare minimum.

-Race: Causation (do Blacks, Asians, and/or any other human 'races' exist in 40K?)
    -Eyes: Bluuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuue (everybody picks bluuuuuuuuuuuuuue)
    -Body: Muscular (fat space marines lol)

Done.

Planetside's customization was basically that. A shameful dispray.
  7. Nicodemus_I Nicodemus_I Subordinate

Yes, other races do exist in 40k. Usually faction-specific. White Scars being Mongols in space.

And I never pick blue eyes. I always pick brown eyes.

So take that.
  8. Wulfburk Wulfburk Steam Early Access

Other skin colours and different traits obviously exist in w40k. The Salamanders are all blacks. The White Scars have an asian look. The variety in normal humans are just the same as real life (plus 40.000 years of advancement)
  9. Lamby Lamby New Member

has anyone said anything about cybernetic prosthetics? (in space marines, if you down 3 people after you die you unlock a sweet robotic arm for your toon) I would pay money/grind forever to get something like that.
  10. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

I'd imagine this is something the devs are already considering for the full game, I'd hope that I can add battle-damage to my armour's appearance down the line.