Background Image

Rick Priestley's Thoughts On The Current State Of Gw

Discussion in 'Table Top' started by Dark-Knight, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Dark Knight Dark-Knight Nickname Change

Something I found fairly interesting on Spikeybits

http://spikeybitsblog.com/2015/03/g...n=Feed:+SpikeyBitsFeed+(Spikey+Bits+Original)
  2. Tarl68 TARL68 Arkhona Vanguard

the bit I found most interesting was ...

always nice to see a successful GAMING company turn its back on the people and the product who made them successful in the first place,

long live Forge World .... and may Games "Model" Workshop burn in hell
    E-50_Panzer likes this.
  3. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

forge world IS games workshop.
    Dark-Knight likes this.
  4. Dark Knight Dark-Knight Nickname Change

That it is, Grig. That it is.
  5. Jorimel Jorimel Well-Known Member

Good to see Mr Priestly voicing his views with grace and tact, though, even where he might disagree.
  6. Tarl68 TARL68 Arkhona Vanguard

it doesnt hurt to praise the arm of a giant that still provides, even if the rest of the giant is off playing with itself
    Jorimel likes this.
  7. What I'd like to see from GW to become profitable and bring them into the 21st Century:

1. Close all physical stores and become online-only and support local retailers instead. The overhead for all your rental space and labour has to be millions upon millions of dollars per year. Let the local retailers do it for you.

2. Stop being wankers with your legal team vs. your fans.

3. Create a "living" edition rulebook online that fans can access 24/7, for a reasonable monthly subscription that is constantly updated. No more edition after edition after edition after edition. You can still make killer $$ off physical copies of the beautiful limited edition codexes that pretty much instantly sell out in a day or three.

4. Retain some of your highest performing star managers/staff after said shut downs, and re-designate them as GW Outriders - one or two per province/state/region who travel to local retailers with exclusive miniatures, products, tournament rewards and hobby rumours/news/advice. Charge a small fee for the events they put on at each local retailer. Make it a big deal when these guys show up in a town. Like you have to be there, like a good concert.

5. Kill the Hobbit/LoTR crap.

6. Design and sell swag. Why can't I have an Imperial Fists hoodie? I already ordered a beautiful bright yellow Imperial Fists, fan-made smartphone case. Thankfully your wanker legal team hadn't found him yet.

Hoping to enjoy your products and IP and GAMES for another 17 years and more. Sincerely,

Yishai, Imperial Fists Librarian extraordinaire.
    KillboFraggins and Ashgarm like this.
  8. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

the hobbit/lotr is already "dead" no more movies no more reason to produce more stuff.
  9. Then how are they going to get new players?
    They make money from them by enticing new customers and offering demo's of the TT game (though maybe not for much longer as they sell collector's models)

I agree.
    They've made some boneheaded mistakes on this recently. Though I do think the Chapterhouse case was the right move.

No.
    I do want a physical basic rulebook. Just rules, no background (I'm a HH player now).
    But I think you should be able to pay a little extra and get both the physical and digital edition together.

Definitely No!
    Most Indies do stuff like this, usually for free or for a small nominal sum for a period of membership.

Haven't you heard!?
    Rumour has it the LoTR/Hobbit range is going Direct Only, with some interesting stuff rumoured to be taking its place on the shelves.

FW does some of this stuff, but it's Event Only items.
    http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Events

Is 17 years the amount of time you've been in the hobby?
  10. Now that I think of it, actually doing the math, it will be 20 years this year.