Background Image

Ranged Weapons Should Require First Person View For Accurate Fire

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by Psychopski, May 23, 2014.

1. Aritol Aritol Prefectus

A scope on a Flamer? That...sound funny :D
    But on a heavy bolter? Heavy Bolters arent held like normal Bolters.

But well, they could use the Space Marines Helmed, with some interface upgrade.
    But what about other Races? Orks often dont wear helmets...we are luky they wear atleast some clothes..
  2. Bladerunner Bladerunner777 Well-Known Member

I didn't mention flamers...actually, there were no flamers in that mod.

Helmets can be easily used for zoom, orks however didn't have any in that mod, you know - inferior race :D.
  3. Aritol Aritol Prefectus

You said all weapons :D
    I dont know the mod, so i have no idea what weapons there are.

Even if they Helmets can be used as a way to introduce the 1st person view.
    I dont think its necessary, except for Las Canons, Stalker Bolter and such long range precise Weapons. But not for Plasma Guns, Bolters, these are Medium Range weapons, and certainly not for Heaby Weapons like Heavy Bolters and Plasma Guns, we Devastators are slowed down with the weigt already.
  4. Bladerunner Bladerunner777 Well-Known Member

Well, heavy bolter and plasma cannon have a pretty long range, according to TT it's: lascannon - 48, plasma cannon -36, h.bolter - 36 and bolter -24. I don't see any reason why they couldn't have a scope, they even should as like you said they are heavy weapons requiring a stance, so not so useful in short range. Bolters are a different story, you can use them easily in short range without serious limitations and be very mobile at the same time, however they could have scopes as upgrades later along the way as well.
  5. Revenlear Revenlear Subordinate

Lascannons will require a scope, otherwise you would constantly waste shots over a long distance (which they are intended to be used at). Heavy Bolters are gigantic pieces of metal, holding them at face level over a period of time to use a (old fashioned) scope or iron sight should be too hard, even for Space Marines. Plasma Cannons, idk about them. If they are gonna be like in Space Marine, I doubt we will need a scope for them. In lore though, I think they are used for medium-long distance firefights against groups of heavy infantry or armored vehicles (basically a bigger Plasma Gun), A scope could be addable (?) using upgrades, but I don't think one is needed.
    "Helmet-Scopes" are a whole different thing though. I assume these would require huge amounts of work to be implemented, as you'd need a third-person, a "first-person"-scope and a "gunpoint"-scope view.
  6. Luciasar Luciasar Well-Known Member

I might be undermining myself by saying this, because it's the perfect example of a casual arcade hitscan shooter, but Loadout might be the best example for how scopes will be used in this game. Most weapons have an iron sight by default that can be aimed down and results in a zoom over the shoulder with the player model still visible. Aiming down the sights results in lower bullet spread and a tighter aiming reticule, but does restrict your field of vision and ability to turn. Firing hipfire while running and jumping is doable and common, but has terrible bullet spread and is only effective within a very short range (which is usually when you need to dodge around anyway.)

A lot of weapons in that game also have full scopes, ranging from specialized scanners that give X ray or heat maps, remote control of rockets, or traditional 9x sniper scopes that severely impact motion and turning speed in favor of the ranged advantage. These are obviously implemented in first person, and have all the traditional first person disadvantages.

What this allows for in loadout is better situational awareness when using close ranged guns and jump packs (or boots in that case) but also accurate ranged fire for weapons that have been built for it. While I don't want or think EC will be anything like Loadout, this model is probably similar to the one we're going to see in game.
    Revenlear likes this.
  7. Destabilizator Destabilizator Nickname Change

Can't help it, but it's funny when Ork OP speaks of accuracy :D
  8. intense intents Capital_G Active Member

he was speaking of psychic accuracy. i think that was implied. :D
  9. Demetri Dominov Demetri_Dominov Arkhona Vanguard

I'm comfortable with how SM was handled. I would enjoy the aiming mechanics even if they were 1:1. Sometimes I don't always get why my bolter seems more reliably accurate in 3rd person than in my aimed view in a lascannon, but really I think it's easier for me to lead targets in 3rd person view than in first for some reason.
  10. Basically they can balance it for 3rd person or 1st person. Weapons in 1st person would have to be less powerful to make up for the accuracy and bit more powerful in 3rd. Which means that it doesn't matter either way really.