Background Image

Post Your Favourite Eldar Quote(s)

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by SonOfKeuartoc, Jan 9, 2014.

1. winbringer windbringer Active Member

The mind of the Farseer is utterly inhuman in its depth and complexity. Without mercy or moral feeling, his consciousness stands upon the edge of spiritual destruction. That he does not fall must be a result of constraints and balances that only an Eldar could understand. To a mere Human it is yet another reminder that we are but children in comparison to that ancient and powerful race.

Feel the rush of the wind against your skin and hear her keening cry in your ears. Listen to her call well, for are we not the Wild Riders, the children of the storm?

The time for using the knife to remove this cancer is long gone. Bring forth the torch.
  2. "This dance will be your last, so make it your finest."

"Like Cegorach, I Laugh at fear and pain."
    -Harlequin, DoW
  3. Mngwa Mngwa Well-Known Member

Hm, I just remembered one of the DE-sayings in Commorragh.

Lith'antu Khlavh, "the knife that stays the blade."
    Commonly used by archons.
    Any guess on what on earth do they mean by that?
  4. Perhaps it is in reference to assassinations and subterfuge being preferred over war. The knife in this case could represent the Dark Kin's preference for the former over the sword, which represents the latter.
  5. Mngwa Mngwa Well-Known Member

Is a good guess, but the reason is surprisingly economical.
    Lith'antu Khlavh refers on how the wych cult-arenas are the one thing keeping Commorragh from sinking to a city of anarchy (even more than what it is now). Simply because they offer the people bloodshed they need to feel reinvigorated and alive. If there weren't any bloody battles in them, regular citizens would start looking them elsewhere... and it is bad for any city if all the people are out there killing themselves instead of doing an honest trade, right? ;)

It was somewhere in the first few pages of the codex this concept was mentioned, and I found it funny.
    "The Knife that stays the Blade", loosely translated "We give the people some gory gladiators so they wont revolt and start internal wars".
    Now there is just the question that aren't there internal wars in Commorragh regardless?
    Fool of Blades likes this.
  6. Yes. I would say it isn't working so well.
  7. Pm713 Pm713 Subordinate

But aren't they more like Cold Wars? Unless there's a Dysjunction in which case everyone kills Daemons or dies....
  8. War is war. Unless you're a Harlequin, and then it's a dance.
  9. Fishnchipz Fishnchipz Subordinate

Personally, I think that preferring assassinations over warfare is the perfect explanation to the quote. Yes, Dark Eldar love a show of wanton murder, but that's not what gets them to the top. The saying is used frequently by Archons, who are very much like politicians as well as generals. Vect rose to the top through political power and assassinating those who would stand in his way.

"Vect began life as a low-class underling sold into slavery as a child. He has never been truly accepted by the high-born of the Dark Eldar. This perhaps goes some way to explaining his razor sharp mind and boundless ambition to conquer, for Vect's intrigues have always had to be even sharper than those of his privileged 'betters'. Rung by tortuous rung, Vect climbed up the hierarchical structure that lies within the Dark City. He left behind him a trail of corpses, though it was never his own blade that bore the bloodstains - Vect was far to prudent for such direct measures. For much of his early life Vect thrived on being underestimated; by the aristocracy of Commorragh, by his rivals, even by his own warriors. Under the cover of his lowly birth he gathered more and more power, founding the Kabal of the Black Heart- an organization that began as a flickering flame, but has since been fanned into a searing firestorm."
    Mngwa and Fool of Blades like this.
  10. Mngwa Mngwa Well-Known Member

I really wish there was more fluff to Vect... and other characters too.
    I think Lady Malys has the most story behind her, in the codex alone, but I would want to know so much more about people like Vect, Sliscus, Sathonyx, or even Kheradruakh!