Background Image

Post Your Favourite Eldar Quote(s)

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by SonOfKeuartoc, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Excactly as the title says.
    Post your favourite phrases, quotes and other such things that speak of are spoken by the Eldar. Your quote does not need to be talking about Craftworlders, the Eldar of the Stars: Commorrite cousins and Exodites are welcome also.

Please refrain from posting more than one quote per subfaction. (So three quotes max per post.) And only quote official sources! (Novels, Codexes, GW-published materials, etc). As in, no fanfictions or anything of the like.

I shall begin.

My first one is one I have posted in a few other threads, and for good reason. It's excellent and I think it does a perfect job of explaining the race as a whole. A pretty damn impressive feat considering how relatively short it is.

As such, here it is:

"It is too easy for an Eldar to embrace the obscene virtues of Chaos, for Slaanesh is nothing more than a manifestation of the Eldar mind in its most wild and unconstrained form.
    Human morality is meaningless to the Eldar, and to the dark side of the Eldar mind all live is to be expended at a whim. Cruelty and generosity are but the impulse of a moment. Beauty and sensuality are virtues that can be expressed in bloodshed just as easily as in song.

To an unfettered Eldar mind there is neither sanity nor madness, but merely a wave of perfect existence fulfilled by its own savage momentum."

-Inquisitor Ralamine Mung
    Ordo Xenos

And this other one concerns the Eternal City and it's lowest depths. It's from the excellent Dark Eldar series of books by Andy Chambers.

"By crooked paths he went down into the most ancient pits beneath the city where the haemonculi covens had dwelt for countless centuries. Through a maze of cells and oubliettes he followed chalk marks and fetishes made in the spiralling circle that marked the seal of the Black Descent, passing along razor-edged walkways and iron bridges as he went down, always down into the depths where his coven masters dwelt. He passed into regions where light was a defeated foe and age-long pain and misery accreted on the walls like dark clay."

-Path of the Renegade
    Chapter 7
    pg. 178-179

Anthony Schaff-Ili likes this.
  2. Smaug Smaug Well-Known Member

"The Craftworld sings to me and I respond in kind".
    - Bonesinger, from DOW

"We are shaped by fate just as we shape it".
    - Bonesinger, from DOW
  3. "We learnt long ago that the inscrutable universe turns upon an axis of suffering, because pain is inevitable."
    - Urien Rakarth, Master Haemonculus
    Mngwa and Farseer Urist like this.
  4. Pm713 Pm713 Subordinate

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers, all of which are true and terrifying to know.Inqusitor Czevak
  5. Tankred Cloten Subordinate

"AND IN THE SMOKE HELL OF THE AFTERMATH, FUADAR SWOOPING HAWK IS THE LAST ONE STANDING.
    THE FALLEN OF ULTHWE LAY AROUND HIM, TEN HUNDRED SCORE, THEIR ASPECT ARMOUR CRUSHED AND BURNT, BURST AND LIFELESS.
    BUT HE IS ALIVE, AND THEREFORE VICTORY BELONGS TO THE ELDAR.
    THE DEAD SING TO HIM THEIR GRATITUDE.
    DEATH SMOKE BOILS INTO THE SKY.
    AND WHEN IT CLEARS, FUADAR SWOOPING HAWK IS STILL THE LAST ONE STANDING."
    TAKEN FROM "SINGLE COMBAT"
    DAN ABNETT, KEV HOPGOOD
  6. Samtheman FreedomFighter Active Member

We are like echoes in a cave, or waves upon the water: performing our part every time we are called. We who have glimpsed into the flow of time see that it is exactly such vast confluence, paths crossed and re-crossed. All are swept along. And we Eldar, masters of hindsight, insight, and foresight are bound that much more tightly to our duty than the ignorant, the belligerent, the blind.
    When one truly understands fate as it is, myriad branching paths, then one can truly see that duty is cleaving to a particular fate, and glory is the accomplishment of duty’s ends. When we are true to the nature of the Eldar, we cannot fail.

-FarseerCaerys of Ulthwé

You think to challenge me, pitiful human? I, the bane of empires. the father of pain? Let me educate you; I need a new pet...
    -Archon K'shaic of the Kabal of the Bladed Lotus

You want death? I'm afraid that would be far too boring.
    -Lord Sarnak of the Kabal of the Black Heart Death?

Death is my meat; terror my wine.
    'BEG FOR MERCY!, Not that it will do you any good.
    -Asdrubael Vect, Supreme Lord of the Kabal of the Black Heart

Trust not in their appearance, for the Eldar are as alien to good, honest men as the vile Tyranids and savage Orks. There is no understanding them for there is nothing to understand - they are a random force in the universe.
    -Imperial Commander Abriel Hume

The time for using the knife to remove this cancer is long gone. Bring forth the torch.
    -Exarch Quaillindral

The stars themselves once lived and died at our command, yet you still dare to oppose our will.
    -Farseer Mirehn Bielann

I come to dance the Dance of Death.
    -Unknown Harlequin

Phoenix Lord Maugan Ra
    -War is my master; Death my mistress.

But the favorite of all quotes!:
    Eldrad is the greatest among us. He is the sun which eclipses the light of our stars. He is Ulthwé and the fate of our kind rests in his hands. His eyes are the keenest, no detail goes unnoticed. Four thousand runes can he cast, guiding our path through torment and war, death and salvation. He is the pathfinder, the seeker, the true guide. Even your race has trembled before his might, though you may not have known it. It was he who guided us to the Ork known as Ghazghkull, and commanded us to steer his path to your world of Armageddon. Ten thousand Eldar lives would have been lost if he had not done so. What sacrifice is a million humans for such a cause?
    He knows your affairs better than you do yourself. He warned that weakling seer you call Emperor of the treachery of Horus and the strife which would engulf us, just as it engulfed the rest of the galaxy, but your arrogance deafened you to his words. Your stupidity almost destroyed the galaxy, yet you never knew how close the forces of light were to our ultimate defeat. He saw the Great Devourer and warned our kin on Iyanden, even before they had neared our galaxy.
    To him all futures are laid out, just as your crude implements of torture are laid out on the cold metal of that shelf. You say we are random and capricious, we say you are vulgar and idiotic. Some of you call us your enemies. All races are our enemy in time. Some of you call us your allies. You are not allies, any more than a butcher’s knife is his ally. You are tools, nothing more. To be used and expended to protect our race, that is your fate.
    Your kind think you are so magnificent, yet even now, at the nadir of our power, we can manipulate you, turn you to our ends, as easily as you might pull a trigger and fire a gun. Our time will come again, Eldrad has promised us. Once more you upstart Mon-keigh [subject spits] shall kneel before our power! This time we will not be so lenient! We will exterminate you, every world, every vessel, every one of you! Eldrad has seen the stars stained red with your blood, and it pleases him!
    You think us weak, but we will be your doom, children of Earth.
    -Last words of a captured Eldar Ranger, subsequently executed
  7. Tankred Cloten Subordinate

Nice! Can I bother you to ask what Eldar books you would recommend that have your favorite quotes? :D
  8. Fireeye Fireeye Well-Known Member

"I hear the song of the celestial heavens, and its music is cacophonous. It is strange, but I find comfort in its dissonance. Righting the discord of the universal opus is what's given my purpose when, by all rights, we as a race sure would have collapsed in upon ourselves. It is in such moments that species find their greatness, or settle back into the muck that spawned them. For myself, I have purpose of only to correct one particular stray note in the symphony run amok. Win or lose, this battle already is my victory, my triumph. It is now fate which decides whether I am there to celebrate that fact, or not."

Farseer Taldeer of Ulthwe, Dawn of War: Winter Assault.
    Dakka-Face and IdranelLives like this.
  9. Luciasar Luciasar Well-Known Member

"Never apologize for asking questions young seers, for through asking questions we find answers, and through those answers we gain greater knowledge of ourselves and the universe around us.

Our people stopped asking questions once before and our complacency all but destroyed us.
    That must never happen again."

- Eldar codex, 3rd ed.
    So-Kiel, Dakka-Face, NukaDude and 2 others like this.
  10. Mngwa Mngwa Well-Known Member

"Walking is controlled falling."
    - Nyos Yllithian
    vtipoman and SonOfKeuartoc like this.