Background Image

(player Poll)auspex As A Loadout Item Versus Red Dots On Minimap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Psychopski, Aug 9, 2014.

?

Auspex versus Persistent Red Dots(Showing enemy locations) on minimap?

1. Only friendly dots on minimap

20.8%
  2. Auspex hand held as load out option

61.2%
  3. Red dots on minimap

10.7%
  4. None of the Above(please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other(Add your own reply)

7.3%
  1. Sorantam SpiritofRock Subordinate

While Psychopski's accurate but oft-repeated rhetoric about spoonfeeding kiddies has always irked me for some reason ( :p ), I still fully support his arguments. Games that require some level of effort are ultimately more rewarding than those that require very little. Situations where you're encouraged to find and work together with a close knit bunch of teammates builds good community spirit between players, and the game becomes all the more intense when you're left alone in the dark. It rewards solid play by widening the gap between the disorganised masses and those who make the effort to co-operate - which is, in my opinion, totally fair.

Sadly, from the numbers perspective, I highly doubt forced-hardcore games are ever as lucrative as their softer counterparts, and that's honestly the main issue I see with this proposition. I'm not inclined to trawl through the many threads around this sort of topic for a dev response, but I'm pre-emptively betting that the god's eye radar or some not-so-distant permutation of it will be there at release. O, me, of little faith... hoping to be proven wrong!

The voice vs text chat argument is also sound, but as has been said, in a large-scale warfare game you must reasonably accept that denying yourself easy avenues of communication is going to hurt you. Even with the radar available, not using a microphone will put you at a considerable disadvantage.
    SlaytonTheSly and Psychopski like this.

2. I'm not suggesting totally removing the minimap. In fact I would like to see a bit more situational awareness added via a compass being integrated into the current minimap. preferably a military type compass that shows both Cardinal directions(N, S, E, W) along with an option to also use magnetic bearings(0 degrees being due North, 90 degrees is due East, 180 is due South and so on). These added elements to the UI would increase squad and individual situational awareness substantially, along with increasing a squads ability to call out enemy locations using very precise magnetic bearings via their minimap.

As far as red dots on the minimap, I feel the poll results speaks volumes.

Cupcake... As far as the "how" to implement... A simple rendering of the Auspex in your hand via a first person view shouldn't be too complex to implement. Or a pop up on your screen representing the Auspex when it's in hand. There are probably a dozen or more methods that would work... If you've played video games at all surely it's not that difficult to imagine how this could be implemented.

As far as what does it do.. The Auspex does what the minimap doesn't(or what the minimap should NOT render). I see the minimap as a navigational tool along with showing friendly locations. The minimap should also be integrated into the world map showing objectives, structures, trails, roads, ect.

An Auspex, also called a Multi-scanner, or simply a Scanner, is a short-ranged Imperial sensor device used to detect motion, invisible gases and energy emissions across a wide band of the electromagnetic spectrum. This includes such emissions as heat, radiation and most forms of energy given off by vehicles and living troops. Their main tactical use is to use the Auspex to triangulate the location of otherwise hidden enemy forces and allow them to be fired on by Imperial troops. The standard range of an Auspex is fifty metres, although walls more than fifty metres thick as well as certain types of building materials are able to block their active and passive sensor modes.
    Rikamar and SlaytonTheSly like this.
  3. Warhammer Online's "normal" servers died out and were removed much sooner than the hardcore servers. In fact the last handful of servers were all hardcore prior to being reduced to just 2 then 1 server.

That said... I'm looking for a solution that everyone can buy into(Normal vs Hardcore mode players). No passive "always scanning" God mode AI that flags players constantly resulting in a persistant red tide across the minimap. But....players will have the option to actively scan intermittently via equipping then scanning with the Auspex with a risk/ reward type mechanic. So both Normal and Harcore players concerns are addressed and we have a mechanic that fits with the 40k Lore.

It would be a different story if Behavior was going to have Hardcore servers. Seeing as how that's not the plan I feel the Devs need to meet both crowds half way since they're not going to give us the option of choosing which type of server we play on.
  4. I was just going over my recollections of THQ's SM remembering how frustrating it was to play matches spot an enemy trap but not be able to broadcast it as half your side doesn't have comms, and the have that does all except you are in the same party chat. (I was playing on Xbox360.)
  5. Joram Joram Well-Known Member

I think I already said this on a similar thread... What about both? you have a radar with a short range to show friendly targets and spoted/firing enemies and you can improve it if you equip an auspex or similar in your loadout.
  6. I really like the idea with the cardinal directions and magnetic bearings.

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I read the thread but can't remember every detail.

What if we kept the minimap but it just displays friendlies.You also have the scanner and it does short ranged full circle scans. To scan you just equip it and press a button and the character acts out a command real fast that scans. Now friendlies can see the location the enemies were when the scan took place but it doesn't follow them. The auspex would also make the scanners location visible to the enemies on their minimap. The benefit to being the scanner though is that the person scanning would get to see last known enemy locations in his/her helmet, not just on the minimap. Make the auspex effects last maybe 5-10 seconds.
    Psychopski likes this.

7. Voice comms are integrated in THQs Space Marine. You voice chat with your team mates by default whether in Exterminatus or Versus modes. If you're in an Xbox Live party... you can still take your party chat into the match chat and still talk with players NOT in your Live party. Whether or not your team mates decide to cooperate and speak back to you is another story.

With voice comms being pretty much the norm now days, I really can't have any empathy for players that choose not to speak or at the very least LISTEN to their team mates so they know the plan and their responsibilities. It's not like a mic and speakers or headphones break the bank. If you can afford a gaming PC, you can afford a mic and headphones or integrated headset. If you purchase a console, the mic is included.
  8. Sorry, I could never do that. It was either Party Chat or Team Chat with no simple way to switch between the two. And I think it was that way for most players.

I completely agree. But the amount of gamers that didn't use them....
  9. Tarl68 TARL68 Arkhona Vanguard

you have to consider timezone language cross over as well when it comes to voice comm,

I find that the majority of players on in my usual gaming windows are usually russian or asian speakers rather then english speakers,

hence listening to them isnt worth my time since I dont speak russian or asian languages
  10. Or Vice-Versa?