Background Image

(player Poll)auspex As A Loadout Item Versus Red Dots On Minimap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Psychopski, Aug 9, 2014.

?

Auspex versus Persistent Red Dots(Showing enemy locations) on minimap?

1. Only friendly dots on minimap

20.8%
  2. Auspex hand held as load out option

61.2%
  3. Red dots on minimap

10.7%
  4. None of the Above(please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other(Add your own reply)

7.3%
  1. That could work, but I dont think we will ever see players bothering to set them up.
    Unless they jam Auspex's or those types of scanning abilities, so you can set them up in bases that you are attacking to be used as an advantage
  2. Appledrink Appledrink First Blood!

As an incentive to using the auspex, anyone who was scanned and killed on the enemy team should give exp/gold/etc. to the auspex user as an assist.
  3. A hand held Auspex device OMG this is good shit!!! i want this. :)

Psychopski VS The World
    1 - 0
  4. Well on the TT the principal reason for taking an Auspex is to improve chances of detecting enemy stealth troops.
    In the Lore it is a combination of motion tracker, lifeform scanner, energy scanner, etc.

It has been suggested that the standard Radar only shows you and your Faction as definite points whilst the enemy units show up as undefined blobs of unknown numbers at range and only resolve into blips as you close the distance.
    An Auspex in this situation would increase the resolution of blips so you get a better disposition of the enemy.

Whether you want this, or the more Hardcore version of no Radar unless you're looking at an Auspex, is currently up for debate.

5. I think the big question is the legitimacy of this mysterious "radar" that keeps rearing it's ugly head. What's the basis for this "radar" in lore? You know... the all seeing, all knowing radar that pings enemy players as red dots. Pick up any 40K book and keep track of how many times Space Marines or Chaos Space Marines are tracking their enemy via "radar". A majority of the time they're hunting their foes via sight and sound by physically searching and relaying enemy locations via voice comms to their Battle Brothers, NOT via "radar". For whatever reason even the Auspex is rarely used in the 40k novels. I suppose knowing the exact location of all enemies in your immediate vicinity doesn't make for a good story... Nor does it make for challenging, immersive, team based game play in my opinion.

So the legitimacy of "radar" in an Infantry centric 40K game is null and void for all intents and purposes. Unless of course we're talking about war machines such as Titans and Warhounds which have onboard Auspex active scanning that's almost always active. While hardcore fans such as myself and most of my friends prefer ZERO radar and only friendlies on the minimap in the game modes we play, I feel a happy medium can be found via a hand held Auspex that requires an active scan... as in you must be holding it and scanning while stationary. Once you put the Auspex away the enemy blips disappear.

It's seems from the poll that most players interested in this thread are hoping for something other than your standard God mode minimap thats always passively scanning and always flooded with a sea of red dots which spoon feed the kiddies easy kills.
    SlaytonTheSly, Kell and Wreckson like this.
  6. Well we didn't have a 'Radar' in THQ's Space Marine, and I never heard complaints (at least none that I remember).
  7. 'EadThwacka Im_a_Turtle Arkhona Vanguard

I hope we don't get the spotting system found in Planetside 2 where the game is literally playing for you by marking the targets for you.

I agree with the auspex radar, but it should be able to scan around the general vicinity as long as it's equipped, not just one direction. Try being useful when you've only have a pistol in one hand and an auspex in the other while trying to locate and fend off enemy clusters with teammates yelling at you on why you aren't scanning the areas fast enough.

8. That's the entire point of having the Auspex as hand held. It's situational and not practical to always be scanning, just like it is in most of the 40k novels, just like you see in the Ultramarine movie.

I cant really comprehend how Behavior can be so dedicated to the Lore and giving players the ultimate 40K experience, then going in a totally different direction with a God's eye minimap that's always spotting enemy players. There are a myriad of games and game modes that dont use the red blips on the minimap, I wonder what compels Behavior to feel the need to implement this mechanic.

I'd like to invite you guys and gals at Behavior to join me and my friends for a night of gaming on Xbox360(or Xbox One) a little BF4 on the hardcore servers(with no minimap) to see first hand how much more team work and comms with team mates is required and encouraged. Along with seeing how gaming without relying on your minimap to spoon feed you kills makes for a much more immersive experience.
  9. I really don't want them messin with my minimap. If this were an arena shooter or some linear campaign map like CoD, sure give it a try, but this is a massive open world game, I certainly don't want to be running blind through some labyrinthine hive city or mountain range or wherever. Of course having a constant feed of red dots marking your foe would be ridiculous, as knowing where everyone is at all times eliminates a significant amount of strategy, but having friendlies and terrain easily available is far more fun than having it needlessly difficult to access.

Perhaps sharing enemy locations could be tied to auspex scanner, instead of marked enemies being shared with your allies, the enemies you see on your radar are only seen by you unless you have equipment to do otherwise.
    Rikamar and Cupcakeunleashed like this.
  10. This plus 10.

I cant really see how the auspex would work, in a 3rd person game, how the hell do I see it?
    If it comes up on my screen what will it do thats different to my minimap?
    If its like the radar from Aliens, that would be cool, but as I said, how will it come up?