Background Image

(player Poll)auspex As A Loadout Item Versus Red Dots On Minimap

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Psychopski, Aug 9, 2014.

?

Auspex versus Persistent Red Dots(Showing enemy locations) on minimap?

1. Only friendly dots on minimap

20.8%
  2. Auspex hand held as load out option

61.2%
  3. Red dots on minimap

10.7%
  4. None of the Above(please explain)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other(Add your own reply)

7.3%
  1. Nice concept. I'm hoping for ANYTHING other than the generic, ever persistent minimap with red dots that's become so prevalent in many of todays shooters. Thank god for hardcore servers or I wouldn't have many games to play.
  2. XavierLight XavierLight Well-Known Member

The Auspex idea sounds a lot like the Active Scanners in Dust514. I have no complaint about that.

It could be possible to have variations of the Auspex; such as one with an improved range but weaker scanning, so enemies only show up while firing, jumping etc at 50+ meters or a short range, powerful scan that shows the direction the enemy faces etc.
    Corphy likes this.
  3. would like to get more votes on this topic, regardless of outcome.
  4. Golokopitenko Golokopitenko Well-Known Member

If anything, auspex-es should enhance the map. I like the idea of enemies showing on the map if they shoot or make obvious noises (sprinting, and such). Using an auspex would, instead, pinpoint the exact location of hostiles, with limits (time, range?).

It'd be cool to have such an iconic tool of the 40k universe in this game, but as I see it, it's a low priority feature.
  5. I voted only for load-out option. I don't want to be "hand-hold" by the game, telling me where enemy is. Can't we for once simply skip mini-map nonsense (which is like in every fps game) and simply rely on our own senses, coordination and teamwork?

Also. Remember reading Horus Heresy. That part when Horus's forces descended on Davin's Moon and had to march through the fog. I don't remember there being any green dots on Loken's "mini-map" either...

Auspex as loadout option is just so much better, fresher and more interesting for both immersion and team-play (what devs actually talk about from time to time on streams and even mentioned in last stream that classes are there to support each other).
    Corphy, Wreckson and Psychopski like this.
  6. Bernardus Relative Well-Known Member

A red dot on the minimap when you've moused over an enemy isn't too bad.
    Anyone you're not focused on didn't seem to remain long on the map.
    The technology exists today to have a helmet capable of reality enhancement using eye tracking.
    Hell, cellphones can almost do it.
    If anything the red and green dots will let you know to be careful where you shoot.
  7. This....
  8. What about having the auspex occasionally ping the area automatically instead of having the wielder remain stationary for several seconds? This way you still have time to be surprised when using an auspex but the wielder doesn't feel like they're locked into a boring job. It only takes one hand to use so you're free to equip a bolter/close combat weapon in your other hand.

It's a compromise of sorts between both systems: You don't have the game holding your hand telling you where everything is at all times and the person using the auspex isn't a complete liability to their team.
    Corphy likes this.
  9. That's not what we've been seeing in the Pre Alpha footage and Twitch Live Streams. Red dots light up the minimap pretty much at all times. And there's the totally bogus fact that you're automatically lit up the millisecond you fire.

Seriously guys does anybody play on hardcore servers? You can easily detect the direction of enemy fire in every single game on the market these days. Do you really need a minimap to show you every enemy that fires a weapon within 100 meters? Can't we leave a little to chance? Can't we rely on team work and communications, instead of persistent dots on my minimap every second of game play?

The main reason I brought up the Auspex was in hopes Behavior would steer away from churning out another COD/BF4 copy cat. If I want that experience, I'll hop on the next BF4 in 2016. I'm really hoping for a unique 4oK experience.
    Corphy and SlaytonTheSly like this.
  10. Bernardus Relative Well-Known Member

Yeah, yeah. I've played Arma, I have 7.1 surround headphones.
    My car instantly notifies me of objects approaching, what direction, and how far.
    My car is not a combat vehicle from the future.
    I couldn't really care less about any augmented reality armies of the 41st millennium have relative to todays "combat simulators"
    This isn't a combat simulator and it's in the future. It really didn't appear to be 100 meter range either. But I don't know for sure.
    I can't imagine how a little motion tracker would bug you that much. I was talking about Space Hulk in another thread and the screen had an auspex in the corner there too. It didn't lock North either.
    I do think the minimap will get a lil congested at times and be absolutely useless.