Background Image

Phone/tablet Integration

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by McPants, Oct 18, 2013.

1. An API would have to be implemented very carefully. DAOC had problems with something dubbed radar. It showed where all the players were around you and allowed players to avoid fights with even or more numbers and target smaller groups for an unfair advantage.

With the app having access to strategic map data you certainly don't want enemy factions to be able to see the battle plan as orders are given. Yes, it is possible to get around this kind of thing, but it means more work to add the API to insure these kinds of things aren't possible. If you give players access to data feeds, they will be very creative in the manner they use them to gain advantage. Having a talented, creative, engaged player base is both amazing and challenging.

As an app developer I'm intrigued by an API but as a player it makes me very nervous.
  2. Rasczak Rasczak Subordinate

That doesn't change the fact that we still paid for the game. Why then would the map be sold separately? It's not like it even has any use without a valid game account.
  3. Revenlear Revenlear Subordinate

I agree with you. It should be free (or cheap, at max 1-2 dollars), as you can't use it without the game. It would be a feature for the game, a reason to buy it, and you wouldn't charge extra for something like that (if you'd do though, I'd boycott your company). If it'd be released significantly after the official game, than you can argue over a small price tag. Also, you could restrict f2p players from using it, and let them unlock it for a dollar or two.
  4. Kaazid GarySharp Well-Known Member

Neither do any of the items for sale in the Rogue Trader store or the Founders Store, they're all optional and all being sold for points.

Your argument would mean all of it would be for free. Don't forget we are discussing something that comes under that category "nice and useful to have" not something that is required to play the game, if it comes down to being required to play the game then they would have to advertise the platforms that the app supports before anyone buys the game or people will be clamouring for their money back.
  5. Rasczak Rasczak Subordinate

Well that's another reason to make it free, that way if platform support changes you don't have to refund anything because you didn't charge anything.

Besides, why would anyone charge for a method to access an account that you've already paid for? Besides, the app turning up in various app stores would essentially act as a form of advertising for the game.

Technically VOIP is just "nice and useful to have", but VOIP isn't going to be sold separately. This falls into the same category of game features that, while people may not necessarily expect you to have said feature, they also don't expect you to charge for it if you do have it.
  6. Kaazid GarySharp Well-Known Member

To be honest with you I see it both ways and it comes down to if or not the devs want it to go out for free or they want to sell it in the RT shop.

As for your VOIP argument, that is generally an industry standard now, so it would reduce sales not to include it. For an app I've got no idea what the dev's view point in it is, it could go both ways.
  7. Iglooo Iglooo Menial

A form of armoury, where you can
    • change loadout(s)
    • watch your stats (k:d ratio, objectivescore, perks unlocked / locked)
    • interactive story map of the world(timeline to keep us updated)
    • races and classes we can play (with background info / small infolore)
    • Rogue trader
    • check on faction stances (% presence of enemies across the different battlezones, which faction is currently ruling a region)
    • friendslist / chat
    • An active map (would be the same if you press 'M' if that is the case).
  8. Kaazid GarySharp Well-Known Member

I disagree with this one, why should that be common knowledge, surely information like that should come in from physical scouts.
  9. Iglooo Iglooo Menial

Both yes and no. Having an overview of the world or region showing off how the % of different factions are represented, is a good thing.

What you are suggesting(I think), is the actual physical location, and that should of course come from people actually spotting them or relaying to your squad/guild/zone chat.
  10. Kaazid GarySharp Well-Known Member

I see what you are saying, I was more in mind of avoiding having information being given away that base 2 is being held by the Orkz, when Eldar held it 20 minutes ago and the Marines are on their way expecting to fight Eldar at range on;y to find it's a CC fight with Orkz.