Background Image

Outcast Ranger

Discussion in 'Eldar' started by Konok0, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Phyrak Phyrak Cipher

Sniper and melee sound like a good mix to me

Ceremonial knife or something better?
    Sily likes this.
  2. Saeritan Saeritan Arkhona Vanguard

Pistols are a part of a Ranger's war gear, it would be a little strange for them to be excluded, especially as they are already in game and would take minimal effort to implement. Not to mention that if the Long Rifle has restrictions in place to limit its use outside of long ranges you'd have a hero character competing with the likes of Damned Legionaries and Possessed, but who is as helpless as a Devastator at close ranges.

I'm already a little concerned about having only a pistol and knife for close range combat, honestly. If Rangers are forced into a sniper role I'm worried that actually playing the objective with them will be very difficult, or not very effective. I have no doubt they'll be fun to play, but I worry they won't be as useful an asset to the team as the other factions more close ranged focused Heroes.

Depending on how powerful Heroes are envisioned to be, I'd consider the possibility that Rangers could be armed with Power Swords for close range combat. There are examples of Rangers carrying Power Swords, notably Illic Nightspear, although he is described as almost a Phoenix Lord to Rangers, but also much artwork of Rangers depicts them with swords, including but not limited to EC's own concept art for the Outcast Ranger. It's entirely possible that these are simply close combat weapons, rather than Power Swords, but this would presumably translate to a Chainsword level weapon in EC terms, which is really not a big difference currently.
    Sily and Dragonkindred like this.
  3. Shiani Brujah Preacher

True, though it does depend on how effective the Long Rifle is at close range. If it works like the Stalker Bolter, then what purpose would the pistol even serve?

My thinking is in looking at the Swooping Hawk. In some respects they have a similar schtick and as such, a similar loadout would be appropriate.

I guess as a Hero it wouldn't be terrible for the class to be somewhat effective in melee. Though with the current meta, using a main gun is the most effective you can be in melee, but hey.
    Sily and Dragonkindred like this.
  4. DevilfishJack Steam Early Access

We are still missing mandiblasters with zero news or priority. Devastators only have pistols for executions, don't hold your breath.
    Sily likes this.