Background Image

Ork player that recently started using the gravgun

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by Rokdakgut-rippa, Jun 16, 2017.

1. I really don't see it as vomit inducingly bad. Like I get a fair amount of kills and a shit ton of assists with it. Its really decent support as some of you lot have mentioned. On your own its lacking but with a squad its great for supporting melee bros or for just fucking around with an enemy as your friends lay down fire on him.
    Cegorach likes this.
  2. Auzor Auzor Menial

I wonder if perhaps you're going up against the 'Snapgrav' often, a 'relic' grav gun; instead of 108 dps vs infantry, it has 135.
    a +25% buff.
    I don't know the loadout cost of that one, and I do think it consumes more heat per shot, but still.
    That almost halves the DPS difference (besides headshots) between bolter and normal gravgun, for reference.
    Maybe all the 'pro' players (well.. everyone that played more than me) have all the boxes unlocked and pick only the good relic weapons; and otherwise stick to normal weapons. Makes sense..
    I don't touch Chaos Power axes completely for background reasons, honest! :s
  3. It takes an Ork player to show SM how to use their own shit. Kinda funny. I have to show SM how to melee without a shield all the time.
    Rokdakgut-rippa likes this.
  4. Well us orks get used to playing with shit, so when we get the good stuff its a field day
    Deathwish likes this.
  5. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

Can you try and act less retarded?

Grav weapons are a fucking meme, they have zero purpose. Supporting another AV? bring two AV and the vehicle is dead before it can get away. Holding a doorway? bring a multi-melta and watch anyone that runs through it die. The grav weapons do not have a reason to exist at the moment outside of bad players (who can't aim, and thus need a target to be slowed down) or retards from other factions suffering from 'grass is greener' syndrome.

Fuck knows why you'd want to be supporting a melee player, considering how worthless melee is outside of distracting people - the melee guy is already dealing with the issue, you don't need another player wasting their time on distraction when you could have another tactical with a bolter and likely, significantly more enemies dead or injured.

But, by all means, if you want to LARP and pretend that you're using a useful weapon, go right ahead. But don't come on the forums are start posting horseshit about how 'viable' grav weapons are, they're dogshit for anything but killing melee players, which you can actually do faster with a bolter - grav weapons are just a safety net since the melee player will be unable to get close to you if you back away.

Any situation that a grav player helped out, another tactical/devastator w/ heavy bolter would have done better, any vehicle that they've assisted in killing, another lascannon or meltagun would have killed the vehicle faster and before it could attempt escape. It has no niche outside of pub games and even then, barely.
  6. Wanna try LasCannon on a moving Wave Serp before it clears that corner and breaks LoS? All I'm saying is that while Grav isn't the end all be all of weapons, it DOES have a purpose as a SUPPORT role in enhancing another player. Here is that whole damn pesky "team play" thing again. Your reply clearly shows you only focus on the solo game. As a fellow lone wolf and Khornate, I can see the merit in that but I also see the benefits of being a team player. Even when the rest of LSM doesn't seem to.
    Trashed likes this.
  7. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

he's never had the satisfaction of grav gunning a JPA out of the sky while it's attempting to do its silly ground slam thing.

I use 2 grav gun loadouts 1 with a skull for full AP support.
    and one which is essentially a melta gun trooper just with a grav gun .
    So it has a melta bomb and it wrecks vehicles in the same amount of time as a melta gun trooper does so I don't really see his point in " being a second AV'' because it is an av... it does similar dps to a melta gun, it just doesn't do it with a burn effect you need to stack up , instead it just does damage.
    you need to equip the damage mod on it tho which kinda makes it 30 lp more expensive but you get a slow for that aswell so its orite.

For peeps who seen my chaos vs eldar melta gun/knife BBQ shish kabab video . the grav gun does the exact same thing basically. slightly better even since it also slows them down.
    Trashed likes this.
  8. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

Easy. Master-craft lascannon and two of them, makes AV duty trivial.

It won't break line of sight because if it does, that's likely down to your approach - not the wave serpent. Had you attacked from a better position, it would be dead. And taking a grav weapon wouldn't kill it, it'd just allow you to potentially get one hit off from a bad attack rather than going back and planning a new angle of assault for transports in that location.

It does not have a role as a support weapon, a team mate supports the team better by bringing a 233 DPS weapon rather than a 150 DPS weapon, it allows them to kill more people and thus prevent them from being a threat, the grav weapon does not prevent anyone from doing anything, it slows down transports but they can still run you over, they can still shoot and can still escape. It's a soft counter to wave serpent ramming and nothing else.

The only thing it does well is generate salt from dedicated melee players.

You seem to have somewhere picked up the idea that 'team work' requires a team to equip LARP weapons so that they can pretend to have a semblance of cooperation when a grav gun slows someone so a bolter can shoot them easier. Use your head, I shouldn't have to point out how retarded the logic in that is.

Because I can aim with the Bolter. Dealing approx 160 - 200 damage causes a JPA to fall out of the sky (it's not a feature unique to grav weapons) which the Bolter does tremendously well if you can 'aim', but that seems to be a lost art for many players that consider themselves 'good'.

It doesn't do similar DPS to a melta-gun, not even close. You take a meltagun + melta bombs every time, there's no reason to take a grav weapon outside of killing melee players like Njord, because the rage from being slowed down is hilarious.

The grav weapons are a bad meme advocated by some of the worst players in this game, it's as simple as that.
  9. You must be annoying as shit to be around both in game and IRL. One of those Mr. Know-it-alls who thinks that your opinion is the only one that matters. How about you play the way you want to and let other people play the way they want to.
  10. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

Sure, play the game the way you want to all you want, no one's telling you that you can't play that way. People might just attempt to convince you that there's a better way as, unfortunately, the way you want to does not always translate to the optimal way to play.