Background Image

One of those early morning Tea messages from the Crusher of Dreams

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Oveur, Aug 5, 2015.

?

So, Nathan starts promising unreal stuff when he drinks tea?

1. Yes, the filthy liar he is giving us false hope for a great game

2. No, he's informing us, and speculating on a solution they might have found

3. No, he informs us, has intent on trying a new solution, and wants to talk about PVE as well

4. No, that just wasn't tea in the cup

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Nathan Richardsson Oveur Senior Producer

Hail all, xenos, infidels, heretics, demi-gods and assorted immortals,

We attended E3 recently to meet press, partners (think Alienware) and potential distributors of the games to digital and physical stores. We still have things to come out of those meetings, but I’m going to give you some highlights, in case you missed it in the press.

Much of this won’t be news if you’ve been following the coverage, so there is some extra nifty info at the end, if you manage to get through all the updates.

Getting access earlier!

Yes! We’re getting access earlier than before to Founder's Access (or Closed Alpha as I prefer the actual industry term), the trade-off is that we have to start with an NDA due to restrictions we can’t go into. Nothing to do with something that could be embarrassing for us. If that was the case, we wouldn't have me on the forums ;)

The NDA is simply a very small price to pay and I accept it, compared to the huge benefit of getting Founder's in, starting playtesting earlier and affect the direction of the game.

This is simply a very important conversation I want to start having as soon as possible. If we get to know if something is wrong early, then it's often easier to course correct. Try an almost finished game, and it's been going in the wrong direction for a year, it’s very, or even impossible, to correct.

What is the NDA? No screens, no videos, no talking, except in the Founders forum obviously. So for all intents and purposes, this is a Closed Alpha as mentioned earlier. We commit to lifting as soon as possible, because we want you to be screaming on the rooftops, and streaming as crazy, the Eternal Crusade.

We have a shooter engine, for our massive online shooter!

We’re proud to finally announce that we’re using Unreal Engine 4 for Eternal Crusade! The power and proven versatility of UE makes it the ideal candidate for a massive war like in the Eternal Crusade. Not only will it look good and perform good, it makes us move much faster.

This also means that we will have weekly updates to the client, be that new maps, improvements to performance, fixing bugs, adding features, changing features, new weapons, mods, character progression, fortresses, territorial conflict, warmasters. It all comes in gradually.

And that’s what getting you into the development process and becoming a part of it. It will have faults and it will break, in fact, you are supposed to try to break it as much as you can. So thank the god of your choice and EPIC for delivering a tool, which allows us to move fast, iterate and give you stuff early.

Consoles are confirmed

While we can’t say WHEN the XB1 and PS4 versions are coming, it’s 100% official that they are coming. Again it’s EPIC that’s helping out here. We at Behaviour have been doing upports, downports and sideports for many years, so this does not affect our main development pipeline. In fact, we made some great deals in this all so I’d say it’s actually a benefit for our development pipeline. But there are huge questions. Can I transfer my characters to another platform? Or even play on all platforms? Play against other platforms?

No, it’s simply not allowed yet. We’ve seen exceptions, and who knows what the future will bring us. But at this point in time, the Founder’s program is a program for PC and buying a package is not for Consoles – but they will become available shortly. I’m hoping we’ll have the transfers as a commonplace service in the future between platforms, I think that’s only fair to customers, but it’s not entirely our choice. But we’ll fight, for your right, to … uhm … transfer. That sounded better in my head.

More upcoming news

As you see us moving forward with many designs, our intent becoming more clear, and the state of the crusades being a vehicle to deliver that intent, design direction and news, you’ll be exposed to more and more.

We have upcoming an area in the State of the Crusade and press interviews which we haven’t talked about much lately, PVE and Tyranids. And we have more on the territorial conquest, because a lot of you were very interested in the Campaigns (as are we). They are less fleshed out, but judging by the response to the last SotC on the territories, I think you'd like to hear our speculation. It might take a while though to write.

Mainly because we think we found a way to start off with territories containing 3 outposts, the strongold, the campaign aspect and so forth, all as one open world, each even as big as 16x16KM if we deem that fun. Then we have multiple territories as before. You will see us attempt to do that in closed alpha or beta.

But we believe the proof is in the pudding. I never understood that saying myself, I mean, it’s pudding. However, having you involved as soon as possible, will allow you to participate like a true crusader, in making this the best massively online shooter ever made in the Warhammer 40,000 universe.

We will be in there with you, and I look forward to it.

I'm also out of tea.
  2. -edit-

Just had a chance to read this, a couple of things I didn't know, which is nice to know, it's nice to know you guys are going to push for cross platform transfers, which is nice, although I understand why it's on the maybe cards (unfortunately).

What the ... I'm too tired to read this right now, I'll read it later.

All I remember from E3 was something something fishtank shoes.

Goodnight.
    Tyborc likes this.
  3. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

Nathan... what did you put in your tea?

And what's the point of this announcement?
    Is Founder's Access finally starting? 'cause if not, then what's the point of constantly repeating that we'll get it earlier when we're not actually getting anything? You'll need to do better than that to keep the hype alive.
    Tarkus and Crioxus like this.
  4. Seriously?

Am I the ONLY ONE here who knows how to make tea from the blood of your enemies?
  5. Crioxus Arigulius Crioxus Arkhona Vanguard

It's not false...

Where is the button to download the Launcher ?
    We will be able to break the game ! :eek:
  6. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

This is very good news, if the game starts as a 3 outposts + 1 stronghold all as 1 territory rather then them all being a separate instance that would be a massive boon for when the game launches. Definitely will peak tons more interest from the masses over the before planned small lobby shooter.

If im not mistaken, this by relation means you are pushing for larger scale battles as well, considering the size of the giant instance?

Also less tea more Founders Access invites! :eek:
  7. Origin of "proof is in the pudding"

"the proof is in the pudding is a new twist on a very old proverb. The original version is the proof of the pudding is in the eating. And what it meant was that you had to try out food in order to know whether it was good."
    Psyctooth and Oveur like this.
  8. Bajinda Bajinda Curator

The only sad part is the "out of tea" part. :( More tea means more stuffs...we should send welfare tea crates to the studio...and probably pudding too. Got to feed the laboring serfs...
    Brother_Nemiel and Oveur like this.
  9. Dark Knight Dark-Knight Nickname Change

Dear Mother and Father.

I write to you from a place I sadly cannot reveal to you at this time, I am living a good life here with minimal contact with the outside world, I have been here for quite sometime and will possible be here for a few months longer. I do not know for certain and if I did I couldn't possibly tell you at this moment in time. What I am permitted to reveal is that my work here is going to a very good cause and that there is a perfectly good reason for the secrecy. How is my sister Hannah? It seems like a century since I last heard her sweet voice, well that's all for now, the paper here is being rationed due to security reasons and ink is not allowed, my excuse for etching this on a cereal box.

I cannot wait to see you both again.

Yours yearningly

George.
  10. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

Nonono, then they will get fat and sleepy from the pudding, and we wont be having FA since they will go into hibernation, like bears.
    Crioxus and Bajinda like this.