Background Image

Of Strong attack and Dbash

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fiendly, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Mkoll Oan-Mkoll Steam Early Access

Krayt likes this.
  2. Krayt Krayt Preacher

@Durash Stop cheating bruh , we all know melee is dead and axes are not viable u must be cheating to top the chart with GA
    Durash likes this.
  3. Antheus Fiendly Confessor

Seriously is that so fucking hard to keep on the topic at hand?

In this whole 15 mins of footage, there are like 3 occurrences of strong attack vs dbash, there's for sure conclusions to get from this, but it's not the why of this thread.

If we want to keep on the why, in these 3 occurrences, strong attack is doing full damage, because the casting time of strong attack with an axe is such that it's very likely its single casting time on its own will go over the damage reduction timeframe.

Now if you're done playing the smartass, being a troll or idk what shit, we can get back on topic.
    Delgear likes this.
  4. Mkoll Oan-Mkoll Steam Early Access

I am sorry. As apology I made a video and tested all the weapons. It is 100% reproducible and happens with all weapons

I try to test it on a live game with @jbregg to make sure its not a garrison only thing since the interactions there are sometimes strange. But dont forget you get a free autoattack in after the heavy so its still full damage

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzm68Nyk9lk
  5. Antheus Fiendly Confessor

Now that's some evidence, thanks for sparring me the time to go do this on my own.

Also it is happening in live games, I'll take couple examples but well timestamps and forums aren't good :

At 3:40 and 5:06 for example.

It's actually a thing being in for a long time, as in this 6 months old video there are occurrences of this too at 1:35 and 3:03 for example.

Now if a dev is stepping in and telling it's not a bug it's ok for me, but I doubt it's something intended.
  6. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

This wasnt known? I was under the impression that this was an intended feature:
    -You throw a HA vs DB, deal the damage of a QA and get a bit of stagger you can use as you deem it most effective, for instance for another QA, effectively dealing ~ the full damage of the original attack.
    Krayt and Durash like this.
  7. Durash Durash Arkhona Vanguard

During the part of the D-bash animation where the character goes into the "Defensive/Block" Stance it seems to apply some sort of "Super-Armor" and you take reduced damage. Further into the animation, once the kick is thrown out you lose the super-armor, and take full damage from the powered attack.

This seems intentional to me, considering the fact that you can reproduce it consistently.
    EpicHiLuss, ProteusVM and Krayt like this.
  8. Krayt Krayt Preacher

Maybe its intentional to prevent being one shot ?
    if you take full damage from HA and take a HA after than because of stagger you would be dead in 1 Rps round
  9. Antheus Fiendly Confessor

Idk if it's an intended feature or not, I can only guess, though my guess is it's not intended.

Why would you benefit a 50% damage reduction for the first part of the dbash when both moves are supposed to be casted at the same time? If we just take raw damage values, doing a successful dbash + 2 fast attacks is more damage than doing a HA on dbash + fast attack.

The opposite is true too, why shouldn't this "bonus" still be active while engaged in the second part of the dbash?

For all my logic, if it was actually intended, this "bonus" should only be applied on the second phase of the dbash, for you're "supposed" to cast a melee move roughly at the same time as your opponent.

Was that already a thing back before dbash was changed? I think it wasn't and appeared with the later "revamp" of the dbash, but I have no evidence for this.

Also if we take "the fact that you can reproduce it consistently." then probably rollex, cancel weapon spread value by toggling scope, JP stagger for ages in the air - just to name a few - must be intended features too? I mean in any games there are flaws, the fact you can reproduce something 100% sure isn't making it all intended.

I mean back in time when I used to try speedruns for majora's mask there was a 100% reproductible "feature" :

I highly doubt bombs were intended to be used this way originally.

And no Krayt, after a stagger from a HA on a dbash, you don't have enough time to land another HA straight unless the guy you attack is having serious cognitive problems.

Now don't get me wrong, if it's intended to be like this, fair enough, but I never read something about this on forums, I never heard Brent/Nathan/Noah/Katie talk about this on the streams at any point, that is leading me to wonder if that's actually intended to be this way.
  10. Forgrim Forj Battle-Skald

This explains a great deal. I'd noticed something was going on, but I chalked it up to hit registration being wonky. But every now and then the HA would land and I would mysteriously do less damage - I couldn't figure that one out, and it wasn't consistent.

And yes, this has been going on for a long time. My Strong Attacks have never been as effective as they should be. Latency of 280+ has just masked this effect we're talking about here.

Thanks for narrowing this down and finding the source!
    Njord-Halfhand likes this.