Background Image

Nurgle has got to stop

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Buffalotrace, Jun 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NurgleBurger NurgleBurger Steam Early Access

And it will then be just be another unused crap weapon which I'm pretty sure the devs would rather not intend. Nerfing the range is not the way forward. Making it a "Gets hot" weapon will balance it as it won't be able to constantly target and will require a lot more thought about using. It would keep with the lore also as powers should be deadly but also deadly to the user if they are not careful.

Saying that it would be cool if had a mechanic where the "gets hot" bar had a long charge on it but if it reached max the sorc got turned into a very slow moving Spawn of Nurgle until they died. :D
  2. Celestia Celestia Prefectus

Just tested, close range the bolter wins by about half the time to kill (time takes for bolter to kill vs a lethal stack applied), thanks to cats for being a wonderful tester with me and the one jpa who didn't continue shooting us. That's counting stacks to kill, it takes 10 seconds total for a fatal dose to kill with no heals (which is ~4x the bolter ttk). 11 bolts vs 20 warp ammo.
  3. Galen Galen Arkhona Vanguard

We kinda knew that though .The problem seems to be at long range .
  4. NurgleBurger NurgleBurger Steam Early Access

But it will have a new problem if the range is reduced. Say a one on one, pistols at dawn fight, the sorc would need that range to be able to do as much damage as anyone else as like said above, the time to kill with poison is 10 seconds which in a one on one with any class, they could easily take down a sorc in that time if they didn't have the range it does now. If they reduce it to med-close range, they will just get shot to pieces before it does anything worthwhile to bother using it.
    Pigofwar and Wiawyr like this.
  5. BaronXIII Arkhona Vanguard

Yes, at close range a Bolter can outdamage the SoC. As Galen stated, the problem arises due to the range and accuracy. At longer ranges, the SoC has a much higher damage potential due to the accuracy changes with ranged weapons. Obviously up close, accuracy is much less of an issue so the Bolter will outright win.

The range of the SoC combined with the lock-mechanic (when bugs don't fudge it up at least) is what really makes the ability stand head and shoulders above other ranged options.

Note: I may of contradicted myself somewhere in my posts so I'm going to try to clarify what I am trying to say so I don't become that hypocrite who changes views every 2 seconds. While the Bolter may able to outright out DPS the SoC, the damage potential and effectiveness of a Bolter at range are heavily influenced by the new accuracy changes. When you compare the accuracies of most ranged weapons and the SoC, the SoC will almost always do more damage simply because it is so much easier to hit with it. At close range yes the Bolter will win (assuming the user can aim), but at longer ranges the SoC is not only more effective, but much easier to use. This not only creates an imbalance in the form of a highly effective attack that is difficult to "shake", but also an imbalance in the amount of skill needed to perform. It is alot easier to hit with a 100% accurate beam with lock-on, than a Bolter. Asymmetrical balance is, and should, be a thing in this game, but the SoC is currently just too plain effective (at least in my opinion). This is why I believe a range reduction, LOS cover fixes, and at the most extreme case a damage dropoff over range may be needed to bring it in line.
    Adristor and Forj like this.
  6. Galen Galen Arkhona Vanguard

Or we could get rid of all the beams and have actual spells?
    Wulf and Celestia like this.
  7. Scales Neuroactive Arkhona Vanguard

yeah turns out standing this far away, 20 warp ammo still kills, though it takes about 1-3 seconds longer.

imo it should either keep the range and largely reduce the direct damge-over-time from the spell and add the increased damage from other sources to it (kinda like aids, if you have it, even a common cold could kill you)

-or-

keep the damage and range where it's at, but they can only use it twice like a suddenly 'oh shit moment' damaging warp power.
    if they want to use it more in that case, add a class difference that when sorcs use the warp crystal it refills their warp ammo, and perhaps with this idea they could start consuming their health if they run out of ammo. (but it would ignore the caster's armor obviously)

Attached Files:

8. Scales Neuroactive Arkhona Vanguard

also if nobody's going to mention the almost immediate filling of the poison bar when an apothecary manages to get a hit on you, I will.
    granted it's melee, but still with stunlocks and tiers, oddly the apothecary's narthecium outranks them all if they manage to get a hit in and back off.
    Aislinn, Wiawyr and CabalTrainee like this.
  9. Galen Galen Arkhona Vanguard

Im pretty sure it has been mentioned in another thread about SoC or perhaps even in this one but alas it is something that belongs to the apothecary it is "balanced":rolleyes:
    Wiawyr likes this.
  10. Im telling you, its a concentration ability. If you just made it break with supression, half the spammers would drop the class in an instant.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.