Background Image

Night Lord Design

Discussion in 'Chaos Space Marines' started by Two_Face, May 11, 2014.

?

How scary should Night-Lords be?

1. 0 Scaries

8 vote(s)
    2.7%
  2. 1 Scary

3 vote(s)
    1.0%
  3. 2 Scaries

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  4. 3 Scaries

13 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. 4 Scaries

5 vote(s)
    1.7%
  6. All the scaries!

265 vote(s)
    88.6%
  1. Fox Fox Active Member

2. Baygle Baygle Well-Known Member

Yeah, because I can already see people freaking out like a murderer is behind them because they were shot at in a video game ô.o
  3. Fox Fox Active Member

You don't know much about the people who play video games, then. People get scared playing Minecraft in survival mode. If it can surprise you, do it with an abruptly loud noise, and accomplish this at night time, then it can scare people.
  4. Baygle Baygle Well-Known Member

I'd say that that is a rather small group of people who are easily scared, not a common thing about people in general. Also, survival mode in minecraft is not even similar to the experience of an MMO shooter so it's not the best choice for a comparison. In Minecraft, you can become startled because something suddenly creeps up from behind and you're not expecting it, or able to defend yourself - that's a different setting and getting afraid when playing minecraft, and I'm not talking about short shocking moments but an extend time where you actually fear for your own well-being is not something that happens often or to I don't know how many people you think you're speaking for. In addition, saying that people get scared so easily is a generalisation in its own right. I don't actually expect people to become afraid when they are competing with each other in a Warhammer shooter, even if you think that I don't know much about people who play video games then.

I think we are talking about two different concepts when talking about "fear" because I think that you're not talking about how people are running away from their PC and hide under the bed, right? ;)
  5. Fox Fox Active Member

After reading this, I've come to the conclusion that you aren't very familiar with the horror genre, nor the people who play/avoid these games.

It's very hard to explain the horror genre, and fear, to someone who doesn't already have some kind of familiarity with the issue. That would be the next logical step, in this discussion, but I am not going to do that since it won't yield fruit.

Instead, we'll look at it like this. All of the factions are scary. All of them can employ night time terror tactics, but that is what is iconic of the Night Lords. How you dress up your Night Lords' Chaos Space Marine won't matter much if you can't fight like them in the first place, and if you can't fight like the Night Lords, then bE might as well just replace them and put another Legion/Warband in that's easier to portray in the game. It's a wasted opportunity in EC, for the Night Lords, if they can't represent them effectively.

If there are day/night cycles, and the Night Lords have some ability to fight better at night, people will learn to look over their shoulders from time to time, worried that the Night Lords are out to hunt. All of the factions could replicate this tactic, but the Night Lords would be the ones famous and feared for it, just as they should be.
  6. Baygle Baygle Well-Known Member

Now I'm very much trying to get you to understand why I think that your statement that people will be afraid in a game where it is totally expected to be attacked at any time and that you have the power to defend yourself, while actually trying to attack another faction is a little bit ridiculous. You may be right that people will be cautious when someone can sneak up on them, but that's not fear at all - you're not terrified and trying to run away from it, you're preparing and ready to react to it when it comes. Horror games trick you into expecting something when there's nothing there, building an atmosphere that makes you paranoid up to the point when something suddenly happens to catch you off guard and you are defenseless against it - That's the complete opposite of what is happening in a pvp game. You don't see people getting scared in regular shooters either, even if they are surprised because they totally know what is going on and what to expect.

In addition, giving Night Lords (and them alone) a benefit when fighting during night would be an incredible advantage and making the game very much unbalanced, since there would be a time during every day/night circle when they are unmatched, so that won't happen. The only thing than can is like you said that people try to use Night Lord tactics to catch their enemies offguard and get them into expecting them every time. That's a nice tactic, but one that anyone will be able to use, regardless of their colour scheme and looks. Still, most people will just be like "Hey look, a Night Lord trying to sneak up on me, let's shoot him" while playing with their friends over teamspeak and not terrified that someone might just attack them at any given point. That's exactly what you should be expecting when playing a shooter against other people.
  7. So what sort of mechanic could you include that would replicate this ability for the Night Lords? Stealth abilities of some kind? Additional damage or better chance to hit when attacking from the rear?
  8. I'd have it be, if we have a HUD with blips for allies/enemies, make it so their blips show up very infrequently and when they do it's kind of faded (as if they were above or below the person) - almost like a ghost signature. Instead of giving them like an actual stealth.

So this sort of would add a small element of confusion where you have people expecting attacks from above/below, or just not noticing. And then the blip solidifies when the NL closes into melee killing range.

But, I think all in all, the majority of replicating the feel of a Night Lord is going to fall to the players and tactics. If they include the NL's screech, you could have it where a few do the screech from one direction and then have the rest of the group attack from the opposite.
    Warpsmith, Alchir and Djemo-SRB like this.
  9. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

An automated warcry button (that is already confirmed to be ingame last i checked) could fill this role. Just instead of screaming the praises to a god or whomever the primarch of the screamer is, the Night Lord would let out a blood freezing scream.

I would adore to see people do the tactics you mentioned above, raptors flying all about screaming for blood while they confuse their prey. Then striking when the prey is at its weakest to drown them in a sea of claws.

10. It would be a beautiful sight...
    Erobar, Warpsmith and Sledgecrushr like this.