Background Image

Nids and melee

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fenrir4life, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Fenrir4life Fenrir4life Subordinate

Can we get some data on the Warriors? There's no way to practice against them in a controlled environment, so all we have are impressions. The following are mine, but I'm creating this thread to gather data, not announce that I'm right. If your experience differs from mine, I want to hear it!

1) Their melee attacks appear to bypass storm/looted shields. I think this is actually a position detection bug, rather than a design feature- it typically manifests as them lunging through you, with the damage and stun being applied without interacting with the shield at all- as if it registers the hit as either coming from behind you, or initiating between the shield hitbox and your own.

2) They don't have any Dbashable attacks. To clarify, I've seen them pushed back by a kick, but their swing still does its damage, which kind of negates the purpose.

Is there a way to outplay them? Do they have patterns you can exploit, to chip away at them? Right now, it seems like the general anti-warrior tactic is to leg it, which doesn't interact well with the profusion of waist-high sludge areas.
    Sumshine likes this.
  2. XavierLight XavierLight Well-Known Member

Warriors attacks seem to be all strong attacks; D-Bash does nothing and user ends up staggered.

EDIT : seen the Warrior face a wall and just stand there. Opened up with the HB until someone rushed it and pissed it off. Guess the bugs still have bugs.
  3. Fenrir4life Fenrir4life Subordinate

Now, the double overhead blow, that's a proper strong attack- it telegraphs enough that you can get out of the way. Their normal swings are just too fast for how hard they hit, and don't seem to have a counter. Grinding req to get a power fist to see if that can knock them out of their swings.
  4. Kalenath Kalenath Subordinate

Strong attack from Power Fist/Klaw stuns a warrior. A good player can keep them stunned while killing it.

Kill the surrounding smaller Nids first and you have a clear shot at it.

Problem is that on one map in particular, the Gaunts surround the Warrior and keep spawning. It is a bug. Every other place I have seen, they stop spawning when he shows up so you have a CHANCE to take him out. That map? No chance. It is the Crucible map that you go to after starting in the Ventilation Chamber.

If anyone CAN beat that, they are a HELL of a lot better than any of the groups i have tried with for the last two days.
  5. Kyros Drakonite Preacher

On top of my head:

If you attack the ranged warrior from the FRONT about twice, it will stop shooting, raise its arms and do a super-charged attack. I don't think this attack can be blocked/parried in any way that I've tried. Best bet is to swing two or three times, and then roll out once it starts the charge. This keeps it from shooting, which is the deadliest thing this can do. The attack itself will not one-shot you (It did about 20% damage to my health after armor), but the stun lasts quite a bit and it can finish you off if it decides to shoot you instead of an ally.

For the Melee one, it seems to spam regular Fast attacks most of the time. You can actually clang them and receive no damage. I don't know its force level, but it was certainly beating my Sword. Normal strategy seemed to be to attack it until weapon durability gets low, then disengage. This is somewhat risky however, because if he manages to break your weapon, he'll proceed to STUN-LOCK you until you die (Since you have no Weapon durability, every hit stuns you).

I haven't tried a heavier weapon against the Melee Warrior, but I imagine their weapon takes much longer to break (Or outright beat his).

Oh and the shield seems to work fine for the Melee one. It can eat about two attacks before breaking (Which you absolutely want to avoid, since it super-stuns you).
    Sumshine likes this.
  6. GratLurking Recruit

Krak Grenades will also stun the warrior for a short time as well, though can't say much about melee, as most the time I'm showing up for PVE as the support or my heavier dakka specifically for anti-Warrior.
  7. Kalenath Kalenath Subordinate

Yeah, I agree.

Problem with Krak Grenades is that if it isn't the melee guy using them, he can't always get away from the warrior in time. Boom, TK. Frag grenades just piss off your team. 'Once the pin has been pulled, Mr Grenade is no longer your friend!'

Always fun when the tactical runs up to place a melta bomb on the warrior's unprotected back, the warrior spins to stun him and the melee guy takes a swing. Hits the melta bomb! BOOM! 2 TK.

Plasma cannon overcharge shot stuns the warrior as well, but hitting it can be tricky. And if anyone else jumps in as the glob of star matter is flying... well... ouch.

Melta can work, but SUCKS against anything else in the mission and you WILL set teammates on fire. They will NOT thank you for that.

Apothecary/Painboy poison does some damage over time, but you BETTER be able to roll fast to get away. Rites of Fire and Burny Choppa seem to do some, but the thing is VERY tough.

Haven't tried Rokkits or Abbadon's Grace. Haven't tried any Chaos in PVE yet. Probably will today.
  8. I have only won one pve mission on normal. The warriors seem a bit too hard to kill. @Drakonite how do you get up to the shooty warrior (to smack it twice)? Is there a trick to it other than being lucky with cover and lack of underlings?

What melee weapon do you recommend?
  9. Kalenath Kalenath Subordinate

Power Fist of you have it. Power Axe or Sword if not. Lifesteal is a GREAT help with either of those, but if you have a decent healer, not really needed.

Thing is, you need to be able to dodge and the lag sometimes takes that away.

Right now there is a problem with one of the maps. The one that starts with you going into the Ventilator Chamber to purge it. According to the devs, Warriors are not supposed to spawn in every room after the Ventilator chamber EXCEPT on Hard Mode. But they do. Then in the Crucible, the Warrior spawning is supposed to stop the gaunts from spawning until you leave the room. They keep spawning. Ouch.
    Sumshine likes this.
  10. GratLurking Recruit

As Chaos in PVE, Autocannon is one of your best bets. It's a nice combo of damage and utility, able to kill the base gaunts in a shot or two, then when the Warrior comes you can pelt it with spammed headshots to help take it down with little risk of friendly fire.