Background Image

New to Game

Discussion in 'Chaos Space Marines' started by Slayer88, May 17, 2017.

1. Slayer88 Recruit

Hey guys,

Big time warhammer fan. I was following this game while it was being developed but as it released I was told by my friend not to buy it because it was rushed and the community was dead. It doesn't seem like this is the case, though, so I'm planning to get in and play tonight.

Can I get some beginner tips? What should I do first? What should I save my currency for? What things can I do to unlock the stuff I want? etc, etc. Anything that you wish you knew earlier, y'know?

I will be playing Chaos, so that is why I'm posting here. I will be focusing on melee, despite hearing that melee is not as powerful as shooting (what else is new, right?). I'll be a spiritual World Eater, since that legion doesn't seem to exist yet. So, I'm planning to get started using the Raptor as I loved them in Space Marine and I think it's the closest fit to what I'm looking for.

Does Chaos have the melee footslogger with the storm shield or is that just Space Marines?

Thanks

P.S. any advice on how to git gud in melee would also be appreciated, but talk to me like I'm 12 because I've spent less than 5min in the game so far.
  2. SmurfKun Tamu Well-Known Member

1) Go trought the servo skulls in garrasion and then look up guides/vids (try to see if they are recent or not 1.3 changed a lot)
    2) Boxes of fun, Best bet is get 500 and 1k first then buy 10k wepons so you dont spend 12k to unlock em
    3) Do not go melee until you have unlocked a bunch of stuff first, save your self the pain be prepapred first
    4) Always try to have a AV weapon load out
    5) Shield is just LSM
    6) Raptor is best with 2 path. MON + posigon chain sword= slow but has staying power, Slenesh + posgion chain sword= get in , hit people, get out little staying power
    7) any questions before i purge you?
    Tior likes this.
  3. Slayer88 Recruit

Hey thanks!

What kind of stuff should I unlock for melee guys? Where can I find information on load outs and stuff? Like, what does MoK do for various units? Or is it only Nurgle and Slaanesh?
  4. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

If you are using the free version of the game, you will not have access to the Raptor or any other flying/jumping class. I don't know how much the upgrade to the "full" version costs... Ignore this if you already have the full version.

The Chaos "footslogger" (Traitor Assault) gets no shield, but can capture points and has access to the frag bundle (2) and the melta bomb.

Gitting gud in melee... Well, there's a rock/paper/scissors system. Fast attack (tap melee attack button) will counter heavy attack. Heavy attack (hold melee attack button) will counter defensive bash. Defensive bash (you can bind this button in the settings. I don't know if it's assigned by default as you can also do it with a combination of keys) will counter fast attack.
    Spend some time in the garrison and do melee duels with other players in the "danger zone", that's a good place to practice.

Progression works in two ways, there are the advancements: basically skill trees where you can unlock equipment to make your character more tanky and get stuff like god marks to fit your playstyle (mark of Khorne for lifesteal).
    Save your requisition points (RP) for the loot boxes, you can find them in the store. Loot boxes contain weapons and mods for said weapons. Loot boxes randomly give you one of the various items assigned to the specific loot box in question and can save you RP compared to unlocking weapons directly. Unlock the cheapest ones first.

In my experience the easiest ways to get XP in PVE are healing and destroying vehicles.

Also, for the god marks:
    - Khorne gives lifesteal but prevents you from getting healing.
    - Nurgle makes you regain stamina way slower (for dodging) but gives you toughness (damage reduction stat).
    - Slaanesh makes you run faster but slows down your armour regeneration.
    - Tzeentch makes your armour regenerate much faster but reduces your health.
  5. SmurfKun Tamu Well-Known Member

At the start unlock the weapon proficients and the little trinkets that give you armor, hp boost or just boost your stam regen. Save for armor next to unlock 2nd tier armor.
    Be aware that raptors have separate special armor that only they can equip and must be unlocked. (its better to get the general armor so every one can use it and then unlock raptor armor or alternatively you can try to unlock raptor armor first but if you end up not liking rapots then you will wish you had unlocked the general armor first)
    Also due to the pregense of lag beware that some times your moves will be countred by the enemy first as the system can count the enemy doing their anaimtion first even if in your screen you started first/ at same time. There is a weapon clang/tier system as well. Knife/knuckles,then Swords, then Mauls and finally fist. This determines impact damage (how fast you break enemy melee weapon if you clang) but you can get a mod to tier it up a bit. Sword+ clang mod= can stand relatively toe to toe with normal muals etc.
  6. Slayer88 Recruit

All right.

So first I need to see whether or not the full game would be worth it, not sure what I have.

Then I need to spend my requisition on weapons and trinkets, and eventually armor.

What are the melee options? Traitor Assault and Raptor? What advantage does the traitor assault have?
  7. SmurfKun Tamu Well-Known Member

It can cap, it can be more tanky then raptor, it can make you live the khrone bezerker fantesy and thats bout it. If you dont have full game then gl because trying to enjoy melee takes shild+ fist for me as a LSM.
  8. Slayer88 Recruit

So Raptors cannot capture bases? I might go ahead and play with whatever version I have as a Traitor Assault and try to do exactly that, become a Khorne Berserker.

I LOVED the raptors in Space Marine and they seem similar enough here, though we'll see. I'm worried a footslogging melee unit wouldn't work so well. How much control over your stats do you have? Could I make an extra tough melee guy with Khorne's life steal? Or can I buff my damage a lot to reduce the number of hits to kill an enemy? Or is it mostly based on the weapons with a give and take mechanic where things are just balanced for different roles?

Are there any melee weapons that are superior to others? I saw your tier list, but I'm not sure what exactly that's explaining. Are fists the best and knives the worst?
  9. SmurfKun Tamu Well-Known Member

You can do both but only to certain extant as devs want you to have 1 or 2 of the 3 (armor,hp,killyness) but not all 3. It is balanced on LP and wepons. This being a team game you get a lot more milage trying various things out. You can buff your damage but to reduce the number of hits to kill an enemy by more then 1 hit you need support, you can be very tough with khorne life steal but to reach the enemy your gonna need support ( seing the pic here?), It is perfectuly possible to do thing by your self but your gona need to have a lot of skill and little to no lag and a whole lota luck for that.
  10. BrotherCastro Recruit

Tips for melee

-Stay with your squad = +XP
    -Dont charge enemies when you are with your squad.. support them with your pistol.
    -Protect your friends (+Devastators) against melee attackers.
    -If you go solo.. focus on mobility and stealth.. go for unawared opponents.

If you like melee try sorcerer.. you start with a power sword plus utility.