Background Image

New Thousand Sons Player/Army

Discussion in 'Table Top' started by Nyhilist, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Nyhilist Nyhilist Active Member

A GW store opened up close to my home it was a matter if time before I made the mistake of walking in. After said mistake now I have a fresh Thousand Sons army to paint. I was hoping for some feed back from the community on what colors/brushes to use and any tips or tricks to help me out. I have been watching youtube videos to help me get a better idea. I have heard all the new stuff coming out for Thousand Sons. I am doing a heresy army. Any tips welcome!!

Thanks for your time!
  2. Are they Heresy era Thousand Sons or 40K TS?

I can help with the Heresy era colours, but not the 40K ones.
  3. Nyhilist Nyhilist Active Member

40k I was on the ropes for a bit and especially now with the new burining of prospero set, but alas I am still doing 40k.
  4. Sariel Searva Ordinate

Their colors during the heresy were Red and Brass (or Gold Depending on the source) just like Magos' profile picture. You are gonna have a few different options whether you want metallic or just flat colored models (and how complicated you want to go with it). You also have differences between whether you want it a little more of a warm or cold red.

I use an airbrush for base coats because its so much faster, easier, I can do a ton of models at once, and gets a very even base coat but you can get similar effects from a brush. I have a few ways that I can list steps for. For any of these if you want a more cool red color you can use Leadbelcher (spray can) for the undercoat and then highlight the trim pieces with Retributor Gold (base paint) and wash with Druchi.

Metallic Style w/ Brush Steps:

1) Spray Retributor Gold (Spray Can)
    2) Wash Druchii Violet (shade)
    3) Drybrush Sigmarite (Dry Paint)
    4) Paint Armor Plates with Spiritstone Red (Technical Paint)
    5) Eye Lens with Waytone Green (Technical Paint)
    6) Highlight gold areas with Leadbelcher (Base Paint)
    7) Paint weapon Leadbelcher
    8) Gun casings Abaddon Black (Base Paint)

Metallic Style w/ Airbrush Steps:

1) Spray Retributor Gold (Spray Can)
    2) Airbrush Tamiya Clear Red mixed with Tamiya Smoke 50/50
    3) Airbrush top highlight with thinned down Runefang Steel
    4) Airbrush top highlight with Tamiya Clear Red
    5) Highlight Trim with Balthasar Gold
    6) Wash Gold areas with Druchi Violet (shade)
    7) Eye Lens with Waytone Green (Technical Paint)
    8) Highlight gold areas with Sycorax Bronze (Layer Paint)
    9) Paint weapon Leadbelcher (Base Paint)
    10) Gun casings Abaddon Black (Base Paint)

*You can use any relatively thin clear paint instead of Tamiya. Forgeworld stopped using Tamiya paints and created their own clear line. The Red is called Tizca Red*
    Flat Finish Style w/ Brush Steps:

1) Undercoat Chaos Black (spray can)
    2) Base model Khorne Red (Base Paint)
    3) Wash entire model with Carroburg Crimson (shade)
    4) Highlight tops of armor plates. If you want a brighter red use Mephiston Red (layer paint) if you want darker use Khore Red (base) again.
    5) Highlight Trim with Balthasar Gold
    6) Wash Gold areas with Druchi Violet (shade)
    7) Eye Lens with Waytone Green (Technical Paint)
    8) Highlight gold areas with Sycorax Bronze (Layer Paint)
    9) Paint weapon Leadbelcher (Base Paint)
    10) Gun casings Abaddon Black (Base Paint)
    Nyhilist likes this.
  5. Sariel Searva Ordinate

if you wanna do 40k instead I can do that in a bit. There are a ton of guides for that out there. The biggest "trick" I would say is yellow is a bitch to paint.
  6. Pre-Heresy, TS colours were Crimson and white/silver, or brass/gold. (Crimson is a red with blue or purple tones to it, which would distinguish them from both Word Bearers and Blood Angels.)
    Certain units used white, some used silver instead of white, and some used gold or brass.

As for 40K, it's mostly blue, with touches of yellow and brass trim.
  7. Nyhilist Nyhilist Active Member

Thanks!! I saved this guide as I will eventually build and paint a 30k army! That would be awesome!! One problem I had last night was figuring out how much to dilute. I couldn't fiigure out how much water to add. I chose 40k TS instead of 30k because technically the 40k ones are CSM and 30k LSM. I loves me some Chaos!!
  8. Nyhilist Nyhilist Active Member

Crimson really awesome!! (Crimson is one of my fav colors) a lot of the vids I saw used reds that looked brighter