Background Image

Naming Protocols

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Jericho, Oct 17, 2013.

1. Jericho Jericho Forum Beta Tester

*Copied from Beta Forums*

How would you guys like to see the naming process handled in the game?

If there are going to be hopefully thousands of players would you rather see a system where everyone has to have a unique name or some other system.

I find that if i come to a game late then it is almost impossible to get a name that I would like due to them all being taken and this results in many crap names being used or ones that go totally against the lore or break immersion. This is also painful if you happen to have a name that you always use and are know within your circle of gamer's as such.

I have seen some games use a system where your name is whatever@accountname where you only display the 1st part of your name, this allows multiples of the same name but your account name stops it from being a duplicate.

I think I would prefer a system like this as I wouldn't be too bothered about someone having the same name as me, as the chances are they might be playing in a different time zone, race whatever. It also pains me to think that many viable names might be taken by players that don't even play anymore but have the rights to the name.

I would approve of quite a strict naming policy with regards to keeping with the lore, even to the point some roleplay servers enforce as I hate to see totally crap names such as IPwnU and such.

Do you think some names from the universe will be off limits, I have used names from literature in previous games but with such a rich lore they might not wanting you to name you char Konrad Curze or such forth?
  2. Jericho Jericho Forum Beta Tester

*Some replies*

WarpSmith Aadil - the devs could make a option whether the player wants to see other people's names or not, something similar to red orchestra. It would make the game play more realistic, as after all, if you were doing a zerg rush full of infantry, you would see people's names all over your screen instead of the actual battle.

Anyways, back on topic, names that I wish to be off limits:
    Khorne
    Slaneesh
    Nurgle
    Tzeentch
    Abaddon
    Horus
    and DEFINITELY The Emperor or anything similar. I wouldn't want to see a couple hundred space marines all called "The Emperor"

I could keep going on and on, there are a lot of names that I think should be off limits...

Savij - patrick or some other dev mentioned that there will be a first-, nick-, lastname and the nick have to be unique

Vet. Proteus Lychol - I think most 40k-esque names should just be blocked, It'll be a sad day to see someone named Malcador, Roboute Guilliman or Apollo Diomedes.

Sadon Tholdus - I honestly don't want to see names period unless they're in my squad or I'm looking at members of my team; and even then I hope it's minimal. Let them have their "SupanoobkillaXXX" names, just don't make me look at them. Everyone wins.

So'Kiel - Definitely the name filters should exclude numbers (1234567890) and symbols (!@#$%^&*():;\|/).. as well as conjunctions of the same letters (xXx and such). And of course, all variations of the lore names must be blocked.
    Hope to see adequate name filtering from the Dev side and some naming culture from players' side.

Or like Sadon said - don't make us look at those names. MMORPG experience tells me that most of the time in this case you see only names, especially if there are many people in one place.
    But it should be compromised anyway, as I want to know those who killed me, and may be curious to know who I kill too.

Traejun - I'd love it if everyone stuck to the naming conventions of 40k... they won't. For every one person naming their Space Marine something like Octavius or Darius, there will be a couple dozen people naming themselves Pwntastic or Rapemahreen. The F2P orks will be far worse when it comes to this, but that's to be expected in a PvP game that has a F2P element.

Such is life.

On the bright side, if we can see those names, we know who gets the business end of the chainsword first.

There may be a button that shows names while pressed.
    Chaos Lord Aadil likes this.
  3. Revenlear Revenlear Subordinate

I agree with Sadon on this one, it would probably just get to messy on the battlefield with names showing up all over the place. I think we shouldn't be forced to pick a last name. Most characters from Wh40k have only their title and their name. Maybe they should add some kind of name generator for people without fantasy. Maaaaybe, but only maybe, add an option to report people with names like xXCallofDuty360NoScopeXx (this is actually an elite Planetside player) and then offer them to change their name.
  4. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

all the war 40k name must be proibited, also all fictional name must be proibited. manga/otherbook/movie.
    Yes real life history character (because war 40k take a lot from this name)
  5. Brother Prophet Brother_Prophet Arkhona Vanguard

Agree. Game will be better without xXxAbbadonSlayerXx names)
    DocButcher likes this.
  6. Praeter Praeter Curator

The_Emp3ror17
    HorusOwnzU
    DaChaosMasta2001
    OrkzizBest98
    Valrak40k

They were talking about potentially doing it TSW style. A first and last name and a nickname that actually appears on HUDs.
    Khanistrello and Valkr like this.
  7. Valrak Valrak Arch Cardinal Superior

No numbers, no weird characters, no known characters, no offensive words - they will do it for me, it will be hard to moderate different kind of spellings etc.
    DocButcher likes this.
  8. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

a report name will work.
  9. Praeter Praeter Curator

You have a problem with special characters? :p

No one will be able to spell my name in order to report it. :D
    Valkr likes this.
  10. Valrak Valrak Arch Cardinal Superior

Agreed, but what stops them from re-doing the name with another added character. I really hate the idea of anchoring down the staff in game with name requests if people are glitching and hacking.

My computer dislikes you :p
    Præter likes this.