Background Image

Multiple Campaigns

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by Mngwa, May 1, 2014.

1. Jolpo Jolpo Well-Known Member

Good map design would solve some problems. And potent allies should be put on different sides of map, so that they could not be direct border buddies.
  2. Mngwa Mngwa Well-Known Member

I still don't like the idea of all races in the same map. Four is still okay, five maybe as well, but I don't want a battlefield with all the 40k factions having a major war together.

Also, if you place allies apart from each other, did you mean they would still count as "friendly fire" if they end up fighting or would it just make encounters more rare? It wouldn't really solve it.
  3. Jolpo Jolpo Well-Known Member

By allies I meant that it would not be wise to place natural allies like IG and SM so that they'll share border. This could maybe prevent them from teaming up.

But I would also give closer look at faction alliance possibilities. Personally I'd stay clear from alliances and have it free for all.

And let's be realistic. I don't believe that we will see all factions in this game. But maybe one or two more added.
  4. Multiple campaigns will just split population and create imbalance issues unless each faction is equally split among the same number of campaigns.

This also makes smaller factions even weaker or will ensure a faction will focus only on one campaign where they are winning leaving the other faction open for the opposition to just steamroll and farm requisition.
    Rikamar and Jolpo like this.
  5. Jolpo Jolpo Well-Known Member

You complete me.
  6. Rasczak Rasczak Subordinate

I agree that a sufficiently large, well-designed map would allow all 7-8 factions (SM, IG, Orks, Eldar, DE, Chaos, Tau, maybe Necrons) to more or less fight on the same map.

It's just that most of the time you'd only face 2-3 other factions at a time, because for example in order for IG to reach the SMs, they'd have to push through Ork territory first.

Really the key to making a large number of factions work is to have a map big enough for all of them, and have a robust diplomacy system so they can avoid having open war with more than a few factions at a time. Think of it in terms of how Civilization games handle having 7+ nations in one game.

Though if we are going to rely on diplomacy to make it work I guess we'll have to make it so that when two War Councils form an alliance, shooting at allied races counts as friendly fire and you cannot capture allied territory (but if your WC feels like backstabbing they *can* station troops in the cap zone, then break the alliance so it quickly flips).

The diplomacy system probably won't need to be too beefy or feature-packed early on, since 4-5 teams on a sufficiently large map should be able to keep things relatively organized without proper diplomacy. But they'll probably want to do a major diplomacy update before they get to 6+ factions.

That said, regarding the multiple campaigns thing, I'm pretty sure the idea is that no faction will ever be split between multiple campaigns? It's just that the total factions would be divided into, for example, two four-faction maps so that nobody has to fight more than three enemies at once. I don't think it will be necessary, though if it does turn out that the map simply isn't large enough for everyone it could be used as a quick-fix.
  7. Mngwa Mngwa Well-Known Member

I am not presenting a complete idea.

Also, how wouldn't that affect the current campaign system with the way it is heading? There are going to be a lot of places where fighting ensues, and the players of factions wont be equally split in them.

I don't think we can compare EC to civilizations.

But if we have alliances that are made by the warcouncils, I am beginning to wonder what kind of screening process there has to be to get there. Silly alliances and un-40k fights between two factions on the same side wouldn't make the game any better.
    And I still stand in keeping it lore-friendlier, a map with 7 or 8 factions is still something that doesn't happen in 40k.
  8. I wonder if campaign X is about to be over and say your side is going to "win", if you can switch over to it and gain the loot?
  9. Bladerunner Bladerunner777 Well-Known Member

You mean is it possible not to take part in a campaign and 'jump in' the last moment to get your piece of pie if your side's winning? I'm curious about that too, I wonder if it's possible simply not to take part in a campaign, I guess it's not and the way I see it is everybody takes part in a global campaign whether they like it or not. Those who are more active and complete more missions\obey orders will simply get more rewards out of it.
  10. We don't have all the information. So we get everyone with an idea chiming in with their little ideas with no real idea if the ideas will be cohesive or just a steaming pile.