Background Image

Motion Capture Ability

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sunbreak, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Sunbreak Sunbreak Subordinate

One thing I have heard regularly as to why certain animations aren't possible is due to the fact they can't do the motion capture. This is more of a theoretical discussion but why is this not possible (I know we've got only a few devs, but is this something we could send them?)
    This comes because I was taking part in a study in uni today which involved motion capture to study various movements (apparently our sports science department have a full IR Mo cap set-up, unused during the night, as is the case in many uni's around the country). Now this was accurately mapping all my movements into the dot format, which should be easy enough to tie to a character model.

Now the community has the skills to create models for say a sorc staff or a glaive. And these can also easily stick this on a current model/puppet.
    Directing this kind of thing would take a bit of effort but essentially its a flow chart with standing to walk, standing to run, FA from standing (fs), HAfs, DBfs, FA from run(fr), HEfr, DBfr, Run to stand, walk to stand, Firing whilst walking, strafing etc. They should already have this for all the other weapon types so could make that available.

I'm just wondering what the limiting factor is. Is it the actual motion capture (if so what program format would be needed), is it the tying of the capture to the puppet or is it just the fact that to add new things in the game is too difficult now? The excuse mo-cap is too expensive doesn't fly with me tbh, unless you really need the EA lab level suite for it (which our animations are contained to a few m^2 so not likely), is it the director or just that BE won't let them do it like this?

In short: what is it that is stopping us from doing this as a community and providing it to behaviour? Lets face it there are enough people who want staffs, glaives and thunderhammers that possible we could do this ourselves if we get lab access?

Thanks,
    Sunbreak.
  2. Krayt Krayt Preacher

Do you have a studio with all the material needed or a million dollar ? Thats what is stopping us from doing animations
    And even then animations are a bit more difficult to send to be than just using workshop it would have a lot of legal issues and other boring things
  3. Viking Vking Arkhona Vanguard

4. Zael Zael Well-Known Member

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooo... You want us to do mo-cap for EC? Just a few questions:

1. Where do we put the dots on the body of the actor?

2. What kind of camera do we have to use?

3. What kind of program do we use to track the movement of the dots? Where do we get it from? What does it cost?

4. How do we know whether the action the actor just performed was any good or whether he better repeat it? (You know, with us not having any experience with that.)

5. Once we have filmed the motion and translated it into a movement of dots, as what kind of file do we save the data? What kind of file does EC use? Do we need the metadata?
  5. Sunbreak Sunbreak Subordinate

I was just attempting to start a general discussion about the technology and what are the difficulties in implimenting it, mainly out of intellectual curiosity. Motion capture itself is not difficult. And I highly doubt its that expensive.
    Sending a file in the correct format via the various file sharing options wouldn't be difficult, and there is little legal issues if it's a gift freely given.

Just wondering whether it'd be possible and these are the questions I was asking.
    Dots is an easy one, either see their current models or use a common system of dots either side of the joint. For a leg, you need front and back of the foot, ankle, one just above the ankle and one below the knee. You then need one on the lower thigh and upper thigh, hip and waist. Same thing with all the rest of the body.

Camera wise it shouldn't matter in the slightest, so long as you can ge 3d positioning data on the dots you're ok from what I can see. You need multiple cameras, the ones I saw yesterday were 10 IR lit cameras.

The file format, whether it is any good and what files I'd love to know, hence asking. Wasn't sure if those who'd been around for a while and generated some cool models would know more about it. (or the Devs themselves) Maybe the motion flow chart for other weapon configurations etc

Sorry if my discussion came across as we SHOULD do mo-cap for EC, it was meant to open a dialogue about would it be possible and does anyone know what they'd need. Purely theoretical at the moment but I enjoy talking tech with people, rather than just lameting the death of the game.
    BrotherDamnatus likes this.
  6. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

Dude's I literally just watched 3 guides on how to mocap in blender at home using knect's and some downloadable software stuffs.

I appears technology caught up to you BE and we can now to all that stuff for $85 bucks in my moms shed, without a bubble suit, and a 360 camera tracking rig.
  7. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

no it actually doesn't look like shit. I was actually quite surprised on how good that actually looked on the wire frame.
    You know what does look like shit?
    Ork walking animations made with a hired actor and a very expensive mocap room

You can ask Anyone at BE how long the pvc tubing will need to be that we can use as the rig for the gun so your hands are at the right distance and alignment..
    Besides you can even fix that later once the animations are on the wireframe by just moving the hand to where it should be.

Pvc tube fixes all your problems son.
    We use tons of it over at the studio I work at for shit like this on blue screens.
    [​IMG]
  8. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

Who's talking about BE doing this at this point.
  9. check out Richard Boylan, he self started learning animation, motion capture etc and create the helsreach series:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0tIxalxIfz52tOCOzKgRGZQdNlCnnooF

He has also a few streams on how he Creates each episode. This tells me it does not take millions of dollars but you do need equipment, time to learn and your own effort. So this is not impossible for the likes of you and I.

As to how to provide such animations, in what format to bE, and what has to happen after that I have not idea but maybe reach out to Nathan or one of the devs for advice.
  10. it would be pretty amazing if this could be done for EC