Background Image

Maps/Gamemodes Improvement Feedback

Discussion in 'Information' started by KharnVarus, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Safreadis Safreadis Arkhona Vanguard

Wouldn't a conquest type game like DoW2 be nice? Each team starts with 600 Morale. For each capture point a team has more than the opponent, the opposing team lose 1 morale/sec. A capture point being contested (capturing) counts as neutral.
    Exemples:
    TeamA: 2 points / Team B: 1 point -> TeamB loses 1 morale/sec. -->> 10 minutes to win with 1 point difference
    TeamA: 1 point / TeamB: 1 point / 1 point contested -> No morale loss.
    TeamA: 0 point / TeamB: 2 points / 1 point contested -> TeamA loses 2 morale/sec -->> 5minutes to win
    TeamA: 3 points / TeamB: 0 points -> TeamB loses 3 morale/sec -->> 3min 20sec to win... seems too short...

Match supposed average duration: 7-12 minutes
  2. Kharn KharnVarus Eternal Battles Moderator

Very well constructed, thanks!
  3. This is my thread from 1 1/2 years ago brainstorming about game modes. Please don't necro it but maybe it contains some valuable suggestion worth to be included into your list.
    In case you guys also plan to take the whole project on a meta level and not only skirmish after skirmish and plan to develop an alternative worldmap to EC's official one these suggestions might also be interesting ;)

Good luck with your project. It sounds very interesting.
    DJPenguin, KharnVarus and Elector like this.
  4. Demetri Dominov Demetri_Dominov Arkhona Vanguard

I think this is definitely the direction.

I'm not sold on the times though, still feels a bit too short.

What about instead of double depletion, it's 600 influence divided between forces, and the force that holds the most points steals tickets away from the enemy until a force reaches 0?

The rate and tickets can then be adjusted accordingly. So maybe 200 tickets split between two forces.

This seems like it would play into multifactionl battles pretty readily since the faction with the most points held would be the one stealing from others... Effectively making it a "Kingmaker" match.
  5. Smorcest Elector Eternal Battles Moderator

Consider also that the time will be dragged out with points being contested, as teams will be forced to always be pushing a point. But as you said, this can be easily adjusted. And we simply don't know what is balanced until we try it.
  6. Demetri Dominov Demetri_Dominov Arkhona Vanguard

Right. I know. In DoW2 for example as long as you held a point, the other side was on a timer towards defeat. What wasn't mentioned was what happens when both sides hold an even number of points. It's been awhile so I can't actually remember but I believe in a double depletion game both sides continue losing tickets and it's possible to get a draw. I think that would probably blow up EC since it doesn't know what to do in that case. Having tickets be pirated from each other has some benefits:

Even number of points held equals a territorial stalemate that must broken for a victor to be declared. It's pretty thematic.

A victor will be declared.

Games could last a very long time.

It's harder to knock a 3rd or 4th faction out of the game.

Devs can change the infulence rate to enter sudden death if the game reaches time thresholds.

Leaves what's possible in these games really open ended.
    Warriant likes this.
  7. Kharn KharnVarus Eternal Battles Moderator

So far that conquest idea has been added to the list by premission of the author and we adjusted it for the general concept, without fiddling with time and other features for now!
  8. No_1 No_1 Well-Known Member

Could we play Zedek and Magoon in the opposite direction?

Maggon from C to A.

Zedek from D to A.
  9. Kharn KharnVarus Eternal Battles Moderator

That could technically work but don't see much point to work for it... seems like an insignificant change and some of the map details would also have to be changed!
  10. No_1 No_1 Well-Known Member

i think it would improve the feeling of conquer / reconquer territories with a low cost dev task.

And i think it will be more fun to reconquer that only defend.

It would give another point of view for those maps.

It would also change defensive positions and alternative routes.
    Kaptin_Pokkets likes this.