Background Image

Making Defense Feel Impactful/rewarding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rasako, Dec 2, 2013.

1. Rasako Rasako Well-Known Member

Greetings fellow 40k fans! I have started this thread to culminate ideas on how the development team can make defense feel rewarding and get rid of the extremely boring "base sitting" that has plagued most PvP games.

This is vastly important for Eternal Crusade considering the developers want holding and controlling territory to be meaningful. If players don't feel rewarded for defending territories and maintaining control over the map then territories will be meaningless.

Are there any suggestions or ideas that the community has that they would like to present here? I definitely would love to hear it and I'm sure the developers would appreciate the feedback!
  2. REDWUN Active Member

Make base capture complicated. Rather than a single button that has to be pressed, or room that must be held, give bases multiple points that serve different purposes: Turrets, lights, doors, etc.
    It will make fights more dynamic.
  3. Rasako Rasako Well-Known Member

Planetside uses this system but I still feel as though it's not REWARDING enough which is the major issue in many pvp games, I do definitely agree with you that that, if refined and built upon, would definitely help to avoid "base sitting".
    Ardenstrom and Chaplain Valerius like this.
  4. Krake Hakula Arkhona Vanguard

Sounds rather complicated and thats just one base. What about the open areas that has the held and so on. I actualy wish there will be a trench somewhere in the area but yeah I see what the OP is trying to say.

The game will definetly need something that keeps people trying to keep a place for them selfs and gives people a good motivation to launch attacks to places. The problem isn't the hardcore players that do the warcounsils bidding without questions but the common players who are trying to spend the little time they have and play the game and have fun while doing it and still get something out from the game.

Personaly I don't have any good solutions or ideas for this one I'm affraid.
    FreedomFighter08 and Rasako like this.
  5. Rasako Rasako Well-Known Member

This is a great point you've brought up and what I was hoping to hear! could you elaborate on that and explain how they could implement a system that allows more than just point capturing to contribute to the control of a zone? I like to think of the original WAR system with tickets, where many of your actions filled up a bar that was constantly teetering back and forth based on the influence of each side.
    Murtag likes this.
  6. REDWUN Active Member

PS2's bases are badly designed and undefendable.

The one good base (the crown) was the most fun people had in that game, until they inevitably broke it.

So yeah, bases should be defendable. Not excesively large with empty buildings.
  7. Joram Joram Well-Known Member

The devs already told us we can get special stuff for holding facilities, like differents types of ammo, less cooldown to spawn tanks and stuff like that, we can also upgrade the bases and if i spend all my resources to do that is enough reason for me to defend it.

BTW the crown wasn't a good design imo, it was just a farm fest, 3 zerg crushing in the middle of the map.
  8. Rasako Rasako Well-Known Member

But how are they going to convey this to the entire playerbase? we as hardcore players might understand that we NEED that manufactorum because in the long run it will help us out with increased vehicle production or ammo production, etc. But the average player looks for much more upfront and tangible rewards that have real immediate impact.
  9. Joram Joram Well-Known Member

Well, first of all if they want people to defend bases, defense should be fun, how to make it fun? well, every single facility and outpost should be defensible, i don't want to capture a fortress monastery in 5 minutes, i don't want to lose my first defensive position and get trapped in the spawn i should be able to retreat to at least a couple more defensive positions be fore i give up a single capture point. It's all about base design, i think Behaviour needs to send Steven Lumpkin and his team to Spain/Scotland to see castles (i can not emphasize enough how different is to see pictures of a castle and to stand on top of the walls, is overwhelming).

What do you mean with tangible rewards? being able to spawn different types of ammo and having tanks more often is tangible enough for me.

I have to say that i'm crazy enough to have more than double facilities defended than captured in PS2 (3500 vs 1500) so maybe things i like and want about facility defense cannot apply to other people ^_^
    ThisHermitGuy, Mencalinam and Rasako like this.
  10. Rasako Rasako Well-Known Member

in terms of tangible rewards one of the huge things I'm thinking of is how it factors into your progression or currency of course. Also, planetside has a serious problem in the fact that the bases are the only thing that really matter and territory trades hands far too quickly and defending a base is not as rewarding on a mathematical scale. You personally may love defending but the rewards for doing so do not make up for the time spent defending a base.

Back to the base design point in planetside though, there's actually NO reason for the territories to exist other than to make the map a little more cohesive, because all that matters when it comes to capturing a zone is taking the base and that's it. There's no overarching progressional feeling other than "rush the base and seige it until we take it" kind of feel. I am hoping that they can give a sort of reward for fighting over a territory other than "team X defends the base and team Y assaults the base and the only reward you're getting is sitting there killing eachother", there's no special reward for actually defending like a (meaningful) defender's bonus or the like.