Background Image

[Lore Team] Story/Campaign status report: 12/26/17

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Katzu_HSM, Dec 26, 2017.

1. If you are like me, you feel a certain lack of transparency from time to time with the team. As my Lore Team and I are an all-volunteer 'wing' of the team, we have the ability to buck a trend and let you know where we stand and what we could really use to help us get moving in fun a creative ways. Feel free to ask whatever questions you have and I'll try to maintain an open dialog here, subject to the understanding that I can't answer anything outside of my sphere of influence and I even then there will be things I can't talk about until they become public knowledge through a different medium.

• Action Item 1: Clean up backstory, lore, and establish the ACTUAL setting Bible - Progress 90% in Draft.
      • Most of our m41 background is written thanks to the efforts of Ivan and Graham, but a shift in the official 40k Lore starting in the Gathering Storm has altered a lot of facts in the timeline and has forced us to re-write much of the narrative they planned to advance.
      • Another hurdle we are facing is that Arkhona is OLD - like War in Heaven old - and much of what Ivan and Graham wrote there is contained in documents that Nathan is working to get us. If you've ever dealt with the complexities of trusting a consumer with matters of your company's intellectual property, you can understand this isn't an easy or overnight process. BHVR wants to help, but in a way that protects itself from possible legal action, as GW has a reputation for being EXTREMELY litigious when it comes to protecting its license. Our current plan to to draft our own backstory in pencil until we can see the original vision.
    • Action Item 2: Write Warzone 1 - Progress 18% in Draft, 21% Ready for GW sign-off/approval.
      • LSM is complete and awaiting the Community Editors to review for theme, continuity, and factional consistency.
      • CSM has a basic frame and I'm waiting for feedback and contribution from my CSM team.
      • Aeldari have a very thin frame at the moment. I have a few people who have volunteered to keep my (admittedly) thin Aeldari lore knowledge in check and I'm reading a few novels to get the 'voice' down right. Then we're gonna attack the story.
      • Orks. We aren't happy with how the Orks are handled by the "EC Campaigns." @KroozaNob and @Gashmangla pitched me a new take and we're redrafting the Ork storyline for a more aggressive, fanatical story arc. This is a guy who tore a Dreadnought apart single-handed, after all... Clearly no tea-drinker... Lol.
    • Action Item 3: Develop Community Submission Pipeline for Storylines - Progress 100%.
      • The submission guidelines are written and waiting for completion and approval of the Setting Bible so we can drop it as a packet for prospective writers.
    • Action Item 4: Find ways to inject Lore into current player experience - Progress Ongoing.
      • I've been snagging screenshots of the continent and factional UI 'boiler plates' and seeing which ones would benefit from more Lore-immersive text instead. This is more a pet project than a true goal of the whole team.

Feel free to ask any questions and I'll answer them as I can.
    t0rahn, Corie and Arafael like this.
  2. Dakka? Kommando Boyz?

Server upgrade when?
  3. Mainfold Mainfold Preacher

Without a doubt, the lore for EC 100% needs to have valid reason as to WHY an entire super-urban fortress world was able to easily fall and leave no trace as to why it happened. In the original early early alpha games played on stream by the devs, there were missile-silos etc that the attacking force were trying to get hold of to fire off salvos to attack orbital ships etc. Didn't have much to do with the lore of what formerly had happened, but definitely to stop others from attaining the knowledge or control of the planet etc.

Needless to say, nids would not be the reason for a fortress-world to just get rampaged with zero trace of the nids having been there or made sizable lairs etc. And if it was forces of chaos or daemons, there'd be traces of it as well (in addition to leftover wrecks etc, that aren't just imperial warhound titans (for this planetary scale of it) outside and inside that were clearly used for defense). And Orks just like nids, leave behind noticeable structures and traits of their waaagh.

There's few sources that could lead to the state of EC's Arkhona, is either Necrons, an assault via entirely psyker elements, Drukhari assault for the sake of assault (Dark Eldar), somehow an attack from the C'Tan (which is 100% unlikely lol), for some reason a Rak'Gol attack (can't see why they would go for a fortress-world ever), or if not an internal tomb of Necrons causing it... Lacrymole infiltration (which would explain why it looks like an unexpected attack from the state of the fortress) revenge attack.

So going from that then, depending on what bE have, the campaigns and the actual maps themselves might be needing some redesigns (or added elements) that would point to why said thing happened, especially when resource-gathering elements were still operational and unharmed.
    Vaanes and Arafael like this.
  4. Kalenath Kalenath Subordinate

Also, we need a VERY good reason why numerous chapters of Space Marines who DO NOT like each other are here.

I hope there is a definitive reason as to why Space Wolves and Dark Angels are fighting beside one another besides 'Lore'.

Because those pansy robe wearers cannot be trusted.
  5. One correction: Arkhona is not a Fortress-World. It is an "Imperial World," but one with a low tithe grade and had been left virtually abandoned for 263 years. The only reason Sergeant Protus arrived was to collect the long-uncollected Tithe. (the short story Blood Price) This world had been claimed and abandoned multiple times by the Space Wolves (Terra Nullus, Wolf Blood.)

But yes there is a reason, it wasn't JUST Tyranids, and the initial reasons will be public knowledge. In fact I've already mentioned some of them before.
    Arafael likes this.
  6. Mainfold Mainfold Preacher

Official GW lore has dictated it as a super urban fortress world in the kharon part of the scyllan sector, unless that has recently changed. In the EC-state it's technically a "dead" class world, but prior to whatever caused it, it was 100% without a doubt a fortress world. This I am absolutely sure about, and you are actually wrong about it just being an "imperial world". It wasn't a mere sergeant marine that discovered it's dead state, it was the inquisition.

If I recall correctly from the original iteration of the lore for EC, it was supposed to have been overrun by nids, but access to the information about what happened was stricken out of the records, and no signs of it being caused by nids of any lesser grade other than a vast biotitan-attack (if any) are left behind
    Arafael likes this.
  7. A bug in my ear gave me some inside knowledge of how Arkhona ended up in it's current state and all your speculations are wrong. I won't spoil anything but one thing is certain. It is NOT a tomb world, so just purge any idea that 'crons are gonna show up.
  8. Cite sources. Mine are the documents Ivan wrote.
  9. From the main website, verbatim:

"Kharon is located in the galactic northern marches of Segmentum Obscuras, in the dead centre of a void of systems – right on the edge of Imperial space. It is a trinary star system, consisting of three suns locked in orbit.

The fifth planet in the system, Arkhona, is a former Imperial world dating back tens of thousands of years. Although mankind at one time stretched across all its continents, when representatives from the Ordo Xenos arrived recently they found that the entire population had been destroyed.

Shortly afterwards, the Inquisitors themselves were lost under terrible circumstances, thus setting events in motion..."
  10. It's still not a tomb world. :)