Background Image

[Lore Team] Story/Campaign status report: 1/12/18

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Katzu_HSM, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Krooza Nob Bozz KroozaNob Well-Known Member

@ProteusVM probably many people like you are not interested in reading those texts, myself included with the latest campaigns.

However, we have a zoggin chance to create something that's been lacking for a while: a purpose to keep fighting.

Many people will certainly still skip our campaign text, however the lore nerds will most likely enjoy something is happening, at least from a background perspective for the time being, because this is all canon.

So Katzu and the rest of the team is working on delivering the best experience possible with the resources we have.
    Talron and AngelsAbomination17 like this.
  2. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

You're kidding yourself if you think this will give us a purpose to keep fighting, lol.
  3. Deathwish Deathwish Well-Known Member

Is EC understaffed? Sure. A player that gets to write the narrative of a game that they play is unheard-of. This is an opportunity rarely seen in the video game industry. So instead of looking at it like "This game is in such bad shape, they need to turn to it's own players for help" look at it like "This game is in a position to be shaped by it's own players". Ya know, in a positive light.
  4. [WCA] Krataniel Kiwik Steam Early Access

I have to disagree with that. I personally played with The Hammer of Arkhona, a casual but fun LSM guild, and our Commander got into the habit of writing a small piece of lore after our events, with commendations for the best players of the night. Then, when we finally decided it was time to put an end to the guild, we held a series of events, writing our own battle-reports and lore pieces. Honestly, these have been the best events/weeks I've had in this game, and all it took was the feeling of fighting for something, even if it's all in our imagination. And for that, I have to thank our Commander and my brothers who took upon them the hassle of coming up with a cool report once a week.

More lore might not make a difference for random players, but I'm sure the most invested guilds will find a way to turn this into awesome events and matches.
    This is why I think including the playerbase in the lore might not be bad idea after all.
  5. [WCA] Krataniel Kiwik Steam Early Access

This is actually a very cool idea, but did you get any feedback from the Devs? It's kind of been done before, right?
    Some skins might be easy to make, like just a new texture, but would allow serious players to feel like they're fighting for something.
  6. At this point in the process, my team's part of this is going to be the text prompts, writing guidelines, and putting the history on a dedicated wiki and into the world as we can. If that's what does it for you, great. If it doesn't, my team and I don't have the answer for you. Notice what I said though: my team and I don't have that answer for you. I'm handling this corner: I leave it to people more versed in the other aspects of the game to do what they can there.

Also realize we're off the edge of the map here, and there be monsters. bE hasn't tried this regarding EC before, and if this works who knows what else they may try this with going forward. My two pillars are to tell a good story for people that care about such things and to set the stage for telling better stories in the future. Once we're sure that's stable, we have other targets we want to take a swing at, and I'll tell you I don't dream or plan small. There's a giant pyramid of an idea sitting in my head, but I'm not gonna throw it all up until I have the foundations steady.

Monday I'll write about my 'Sylvanas' approach to this process and it should make more sense, but you're smart and so it'll probably be more for other people's benefit than for yours.

Things gone from the Warzone campaigns:
    * Binary resolution of actions among sixteen possible outcomes ("So was the Bloodthrister summoned or not?")
    * Truly even storytelling emphasis ("Why is this the THIRD 'all-faction' campaign centered on Chaos getting shit to kill us with?")
    * Spelling errors (in the English version: I'm sorry most of my team speaks English. Blame the British for colonizing most of the countries my team comes from.)
    * Most Lore universe inconsistencies (Jain Zar won't consult her Archons about an issue; Skarblitz don't give a Grots pinkie 'bout no zoggin' tea!)
    * Bland, generic stories with no reason to read them.

What you get from the Warzone campaigns:
    * A team dedicated to this game and the 40k universe.
    * A reason why you're here putting rounds in bodies, if story matters to you.
    * A story written 'season-upon-season', where successes and failures from one Warzone will translate into new missions and storylines birthed of those actions. What you kill (and let live) can have a huge effect on the story.
    * A group of nerds trying to find new ways to use the current systems and jury-rig new ideas into them to possibly make new systems if we can. Workin' hard to serve you better.
    * The possibility to be featured in a Lexicanum-referenced planet and be enshrined in the Lore of Arkhona, the Kharon System, the Segmentum Obscurus, and the 40k universe as a whole.

First off they took a long break during the holidays and didn't really ramp up operations until last Monday. I don't have a hard confirmation one way or the other ATM, but my impression is that those approvals are tied to the Workshop, which will come in time. Right now I want to keep the horse before the cart and focus on maintaining solid footing with as many of the steps as we can. One step at a time; one foot in front of the other.
  7. npcs confirmed!!!
    AngelsAbomination17 likes this.
  8. Yes; among other things.
    Aidwell likes this.