Background Image

[Lore Team] Story/Campaign status report: 1/12/18

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Katzu_HSM, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Yeah its early, and won't be a full post, but I did want to share this milestone with y'all and what the process SHOULD look like going forward.

I just sent Nathan an email that started with the best words I've probably ever typed: "Attached and submitted for your consideration is the text for a series of 6 campaigns in Eternal Crusade, with each campaign set up on a separate worksheet tab." Warzone 1 has been submitted for BHVR and GW review and approval.

So what does this mean? First off, my first rule: Be Realistic. We sent this off. bE's gonna run through it and make sure our quality at least matches their own. Then they're gonna hand it to the people at Games Workshop, who will make sure we aren't breaking their shiny new storyline and that the Codex NPCs sound like they should. If either group has issues, it will kick back down to us with notes and we'll do re-writes for those sections, resubmitting it back up the chain. Once everyone gives it the green light, it goes into the Dev Team's hands to be implemented into the game to be used when the time comes for them.

So when will that be? inb4 "Soon(tm)". Seriously, it'll be when it is. My team is committed to doing this RIGHT, not doing it FAST. I don't ever want to risk my reputation or the rep of the people working with me by cramming a project out the door half-baked. I doubt GW wants that either, and I know bE is taking a big risk with trusting us and can't really take the chance of this being wrong.

So what's next for the Warzone team? Take a breath and go put some bolt rounds/slugga rounds/shuriken shards into bodies. Then we sit back down and start working on the Liaisons and finalizing the last bit of the Setting Bible, then we send those off for approval as well. While that's happening, we play the Campaigns and record their results, tacking them onto the history of the Kharon sector.

As always, if you guys have any questions, don't hesitate to ask away.
  2. Fight the good fight my man and keep up the great work. Hopefully execs @BHVR remove cranium from rectum and give us our devs back in 2018.
    AngelsAbomination17 and Vaanes like this.
  3. Me, too. Besides the obvious "more people to get us moving faster than a glacier", I'd love to award wargear cosmetics to people who participate in key, critical missions, but to do that I'd either need Workshop (when?) or Devs to help me out with that. fRTC and Req only go so far, ya know?
    Vaanes and Njord-Halfhand like this.
  4. Big risk for bE? Please don't make me laugh! I wish you luck, you represent the best of what this community can offer the game. I only wish that your efforts are met with equal efforts by bE to make this a reality. I also hope that you are not committing yourself to anything you cannot continue well into the future of this game. You will probably have quite a bit of work ahead of you going into that future, and since you are not being paid it will have to be a labor of love.
    Njord-Halfhand and Korel like this.
  5. Dorfus Dorfus Steam Early Access

holy shit them gw boys will take a look at those stories, well good luck with that lol
  6. Well being serious a second, it IS a big risk for bE. Yeah they're effectively getting all the man-hours of free-labor and creative talent, but they've given us access to a lot of internal stuff and we've been shared some things in good faith. Beyond that there is really ZERO restriction/restraint on us beyond a 'gentleman's agreement', so to say. Someone unscrupulous may try to take advantage of that trust: I just want to tell cool 40k stories that the community will hopefully like. Lol.

As for bE commitment, my distrust of the senior corporate types still stands and hasn't been significantly altered by this process so far. What I WILL say, and I know how unpopular a position this is, but I don't care, is that Nathan has been my biggest supporter in this process. He's been working to get me every document or piece of information he is legally allowed to. He's been answering any technical question I've asked so that I can help alter the feel of the campaign mechanics (since we can't really alter the fact of them). Remember we're operating on a 'gentleman's agreement" here, and I'm not 'entitled' to anything more than any other member of the community is. More importantly, I wanted to stay away from involving Players/Guilds in the Warzone narratives for reasons I've mentioned before, but Nathan has actually advocated FOR their inclusion, saying he wants to have us mentioned in the stories as a way to solidify OUR involvement in the narrative, making us a part of the story. He really is working for us.

As for long-term commitment, why should I be? According to everyone here, this game'll be dead by March! Lol. Kidding aside, while I AM committed to this and the community, I'm building everything in such a way that I could disappear tomorrow and people could still pick up where I left off and keep putting out content.

But I love 40k, I love EC, and I love you guys (sometimes I don't fully understand why, but I do). Doing this for the community is time well spent for me.
  7. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

Cool.

So does this actually add anything to the game or is this just going to be those text prompts at the start & end of every campaign I just press enter to skip past?
    Vaanes likes this.
  8. Belphegor LordSloth Preacher

Most likely the B option there. Afterall the devteam told us for months that they couldn't revamp the campaign system from "personal wins/ faction wins vs. a win threshold" because it would be far too complex and require alot of cash and manhours. So unless they lied to us or they actually got alot of cash from somewhere to actually do it, we are just going to see the "cosmetics" of the campaigns change.

Which is a good thing in my book. A text full of typos and 5 year old logic combined with a cringeworthy amount of "lore" peppered over it, didn't exactly add anything positive.
    Vaanes likes this.
  9. -WCA-Vola Talron Moderator

Honestly this is the first step into the campaign reboot. The fact that it is happening is a massive step in the right direction and along with this we could see cosmetics and weapon skins at the least come from this that actually make sense with the theme of the campaign.
    AngelsAbomination17 and Vaanes like this.
  10. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

I mean yeah, it's nice that some of the campaign text might be worth reading but this is a bit of a strange thing to have happen. I guess it speaks to how understaffed bE is that the only "meaningful" changes they can make at the moment are better text descriptions for the campaigns, so something that I see for probably less than a minute before skipping past it to play the game.
    Vaanes and LordSloth like this.