Background Image

Lore question: Do the Craftworld Eldar have an economy?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by TARINunit9, Apr 10, 2017.

1. Jorimel Jorimel Well-Known Member

The Craftworld Eldar are living in a society best described as post-scarcity. They have the technology to make sure that the processes for everyday living are taken care of so that no-one has to work or wants for food, clothing etc. While this is stated in the Eldar Codices, unfortunately there isn't ever much in the way of detail as to what these processes are. Given that the Exodites distrust the ways of the Craftworlders as decadent and too close to the old life of the pre-Fall Eldar, w can extrapolate without too much of a stretch that they don't have to till the soil, herd animals or perform any kind of manual labour. Unless they want to. A Craftworld Eldar can use the Path to concentrate on personal development, which is its purpose; that is why they might spend a whole Path on poems no-one will ever see :)

I'd suggest a high degree of very efficient automation as well as complex recycling processes that utilise whole bio-systems to do so, as they have whole continent-sized spaces to play with here :) Added to the fact that the Eldar can crate items with psychic power, there are a couple of things that it's hard to quantify but that I think we can use to say that they have ways of simply not having to worry about where the next meal is coming from. People who want to cook can do so, and if they are celebrated then people will want to eat what they make - rather like Cisco's father in Deep Space Nine (is that right? It's been a while since I've seen it) who has a restaurant because he likes to cook, rather than to earn a wage.

Informally, because I don't think it ever states it anywhere in official GW books, I always took it that when playing Eldar great works of art and the artisans who made them were celebrated and their work in demand, but they were not paid except in accolades. Eldar might trade such things of abstract value for other such items, or less tangible things such as performances.

This is what I know and can speculate, anyway :)
    Maensith likes this.
  2. CEldar economy is based around shekels.
    Xanxas likes this.
  3. Hunter Tarrus TARINunit9 Well-Known Member

Post-scarcity, that was the word I was looking for

Oh, it was? That's pretty definitive then
    Jorimel likes this.
  4. Jorimel Jorimel Well-Known Member

It is, though I'd love to know more about it. But then that's true of nearly all Eldar background for me :)
  5. Same with Necrons here, though I would also be interested in such things for eldar. Unfortunately, since not only is culture and such not apart of "muh grimdark" and "muh only war", relegating it to who cares land for GW, it also isn't about the speee muhreens or other humans, so Geedubs double doesn't care about it.
    Jorimel likes this.
  6. Arleniel Arphenior Steam Early Access

I have never heard specific about the economy in the Eldar society, but have noted some references to it while was reading the trilogy "Path of the Eldar" and have even found them now.

However, straightforward mentions of some kind of currency or payments have never beed encountered by me. We receive only nebulous impression about activities of such vendors and stallholders and can not form an opinion basing on such examples.