Background Image

Let's Make Some Noise! Now with MathieuLavoie

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by NoiseMaker, May 27, 2015.

1. Ian Chuprun NoiseMaker Senior Sound Designer

Hey there Crusaders!

This thread is where you may ask Mathieu and I audio questions regarding Eternal Crusade. In spite of our time constraints, we will do our best to answer as many as possible, and re-direct the ones that might fall into game design or some other field. As well, we will also use this space to occasionally give you micro-updates on recent audio additions to the game.

First up is a little about me: I have been working at Behaviour since the summer of 2006, and joined the Eternal Crusade audio team January 2015. My principle task is to free up Mathieu so he can focus on high level systems and asset management issues, which means for now I am the sound designer who gets to jump into the nitty-gritty of just about everything you hear in-game.

As Mathieu and I are new to this forum it will take us a while to catch up with any questions that may be buried in the 1400+ threads, so if you never got an answer to your audio question, please bring it over here and we will try to sort it out for you.

'Till we meet on Arkhona!
    starflo13, Andy251, Defiance and 16 others like this.
  2. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

only audio effect or also music?
    BikerTroll likes this.
  3. Laanshor Laanshor Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forums Ian :)
  4. Ian Chuprun NoiseMaker Senior Sound Designer

Mathieu will have to handle all music questions for now as I have been completely outside that loop. I can speak to VO and SFX.
  5. Ian Chuprun NoiseMaker Senior Sound Designer

Thanks Laanshor!
    Korel and BikerTroll like this.
  6. Demetri Dominov Demetri_Dominov Arkhona Vanguard

Welcome!

To help save you some time there are several popular questions that will repeat themselves endlessly until they beat you into the ground.

1. What will the Bolter sound like?

Your answer:

Their response: "It's not good enough because of x."
    Your response: "Ok, we can modify it to y."
    Them: "Still not good enough."
    You: "How about z?"
    Some other of them: "Nope."
    Ad nasum.

Your best bet here is to make it as loud and destructive as possible to drown out their cries of indignation.

2. What will explosions sound like?
    Your answer: "Awesome. And not like Planetside."

3. What will Eldar Weapons sound like?
    Good luck lol.
  7. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

Not so long ago Ivan came out with the statement that him and Brent were trying to make a really indepth "bark system" (those small pre-recorded commands that activate on a button prompt).

He said you guys are trying to make them subfaction specific as well where applicable. My question would be if this same unique bark system is thought about when designing specific items? For example putting on a God Mark replacing these barks to be more in line with the respective god whos Mark you are wearing.

For example changing the regular "For the Dark Gods" bark to "Blood for the Blood God" or "Skulls for the Skull Throne" when your character is wearing the Mark of Khorne loadout item.
    Would really sell immersion to the player.
  8. when you shoot at different obstacles will the impact sound be different? (hitting metal or hitting sand etc)
    Matsukovich, Crioxus, Arkdawn and 2 others like this.
  9. Laanshor Laanshor Well-Known Member

Better we get the questions about questions we can ask out of the way :p

• Are you two overseeing the voice modulation for the Razer Comms ? Been looking forward to news on that :)
    • Have you started recording the autobarks for other races beyond the Space Marines ? How many barks have you got down so far ?
    • Can I hear what Plasma weapons or Power Fists sound like anytime soon ? :p
    • Anything you guys have put into the weekly twitch preview build that you're particularly proud of ? Good to hear an expert's own opinion.
    Arkdawn, Rikamar and BikerTroll like this.
  10. Grigdusher Grigdusher Arch-Cardinal

^ this! when we can thest the voice modulator?