Background Image

Learn the Tongue of the Sunless World

Discussion in 'Chaos Space Marines' started by Kilrane, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Kilrane Kilrane Moderator

Vorosh is "to die" in the Lexicon now. Vor is very much the parent word.
    Murtag likes this.
  2. Murtag Murtag Cipher

I was overeager and didn't see the tabs in the lexicon file. :D

Oh, I have one issue. I don't know what source this is from, but it seems to challenge the word for armor/skin.

Acrius Toshallion. Jasith Raspatha vorvelliash kishall-kar
    "Vengeance, as night falls. By dawn, none shall ever recall the Legions name "

I think that -allion is something related to night or midnight, at least in reference because of dasovallion possibly being "midnight clad". I say that because the "midnight clad" wouldn't be a literal reference to armor but what the core of the statement represent, preparedness for battle/violence. In Nostroman culture, this would probably also be related to darkness or something related to uneven odds. I think "midnight clad" is more of a pun on their armor when it's more of a reference to being clad in darkness i.e. ready to strike.
    Kilrane likes this.
  3. Kilrane Kilrane Moderator

Some of the stuff from the official text didn't really follow any grammar rules. We tried to incorporate the canonical source material as much as possible but there will be some differences.
  4. Murtag Murtag Cipher

Yea, of course. I just named a character based on the word, under the assumption that it was "night".

I guess it's just his local Nostraman dialect now. :p
    Kilrane likes this.
  5. Nostramo Born NostramoBorn Forum Beta Tester

*Gulps* This thread... I am impressed, master Kilrane.
    Kilrane and Murtag like this.
  6. Kilrane Kilrane Moderator

Feel free to suggest words. Just make sure they aren't in the Lexicon yet.

*cough* ;)
    Murtag likes this.
  7. Murtag Murtag Cipher

Speaking of suggesting things already in the lexicon, how about a slight compound?

Vayshun (brain/mind+small)
    for "idiot" ;)
  8. Kilrane Kilrane Moderator

Haha! More complex grammar rules and even a way to create names out of root words are being developed :)
    Murtag likes this.
  9. Nostramo Born NostramoBorn Forum Beta Tester

In that case, let me try my hand at this.

Vey'eth vayshun.

As in, I feel like/I am an idiot/This is making my brain hurt. What is your background, mister Kilrane - master of linguistics? I have no words to suggest at this time, but how about you send this thread to dear ol' Bowden himself? I can see the blog post happening now.
    Kilrane likes this.
  10. Kilrane Kilrane Moderator

I sent it to him in a tweet but didn't hear anything back.

I'm not a linguistics expert at all. The person I'm working with is the expert. She has formal education in Linguistic Anthropology and creates conlangs for fun.

Edit: My formal education background is psychology and clinical mental health counseling.