Background Image

Learn the Tongue of the Sunless World

Discussion in 'Chaos Space Marines' started by Kilrane, Apr 7, 2016.

1. Bladerunner Bladerunner777 Well-Known Member

Holy shit :eek:
    Kotenov, Malgaroth and Kilrane like this.
  2. Murtag Murtag Cipher

Dude, you gotta fill me in. How do? Are you constructing this partially on your own or are there sources I'm unaware of? The blog I previously read was pretty good, but your perspective seems much more logical. It's been a while since my linguistics course, and it was never my strong suit, but you're basically a god to me right now. I had been looking at figuring out a few things on my own but made little progress.

I think I figured out one morpheme, but that's it. Now I want to see if I'm right.
  3. Kilrane Kilrane Moderator

I wish I could take all the credit but I'm being assisted by a polyglot with expertise in linguistic anthropology. A lot of the grammatical rules are formed by looking at the source text and using similar patterns found in other languages. Like with puzzle pieces if we are able to find commonalities then we are able to put the edges together and fill in the rest with more detail.

So to answer your question in a tl;dr way: we made it up using what material we do have as a reference.
  4. Murtag Murtag Cipher

Still cool as hell, dude.

I'm rusty on my linguistics so I can't remember all the terms. Have you discussed the cultural influences on how phrases are made? From what I remember, the language itself is heavily metaphorical and usually encodes a lot of meaning into culturally understood things that aren't stated outright. For example the, "breath now" colloquialism. It's "breathe now (while you can) (because we intend to harm you) (because we're here with a purpose)". The floweriness of it comes partially from how words and phrases are implemented, I think. Much of the meaning will go unspoken because it will be like a mix between high society speech and gutter colloquialism. Both types of speech that rely heavily on the unspoken, if I remember correctly.

I am legit giddy right now. I was hoping to do some investigation myself, but now I actually get to see it take place. like oh em gee. Nostraman has become a personal fascination recently. I just read the NL trilogy last year, and I joined up with Lords of Arkhona, who uses some of the language for guild purposes. And my education has generally instilled a fascination for language in me, plus my love of 40k. Perfect storm.
  5. Kilrane Kilrane Moderator

Do you mean colloquialisms? We haven't really addressed that yet as, like I said in the OP, this is a very limited First Edition. Pretty much setting the edges of the puzzle before filling it in with the good stuff.
  6. Murtag Murtag Cipher

Yea, I guess how colloquialisms are formed, but it also deals with how meaning is formed.

Well, I seriously excited to see the work you guys come up with. I'll have to look at everything it more depth later on.
  7. Kilrane Kilrane Moderator

Later today (Sunday) I'll be posting the last of the 1st edition rules and then a lexicon. I'll be asking for suggestions for words. So be sure to look back today or tomorrow and you can help shape what I hope will become a living project.
    Thurservorr and Murtag like this.
  8. This is one of the greatest contributions to the NL community I have seen so far. @Kilrane i cannot thank you enough for this.
    Jorimel and Kilrane like this.
  9. Grímr Svempa Arkhona Vanguard

Kosh'eth tay Kilrane, this is truly incredible.
    Kilrane likes this.
  10. DjemoSRB Djemo-SRB Preacher

Now all i can imagine is a group of small Nostramo born children running around Abaddon singing "Vasha si nuray, vasha si nuray!"

Good job btw.
    Ventanus and Kilrane like this.