Background Image

Lascannon Self Defence

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Saeritan, Nov 14, 2016.

?

Should Devastators have additional self defence options?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Saeritan Saeritan Arkhona Vanguard

So every heavy weapon in the game has some way to defend itself, with the exception of the Lascannon and the Zzap Deffgun. This makes the Lascannon a somewhat unpopular choice, as even though it excels at its intended role of anti tank, it is unpleasant to make use of, as a big red laser constantly giving away your position in combination with the inability to defend yourself tends to end in a lot of frustrating deaths, or hilarious dance parties.

Now an obvious solution to this problem is the much awaited Devastator pistols, but unless anyone has some more up to date information, they do not seem to be coming soon.

Another possible solution is a bayonet mod for heavy weapons, significantly raising their melee damage and perhaps even their impact tier.

What do people think on this topic?

Should a Lascannon Devastator be totally defenceless, entrusting his life entirely to his team?

Should they be able to defend themselves at all, against either ranged or melee threats?

If you think they should be able to defend themselves, what solutions would you propose? (And no, I'm not accepting Krak suicide as suitable self defense)
  2. Valnak Valnak Nickname Change

Yes because krak suicide shouldn't be the only option.
    Sily, Matsukovich, Celestia and 4 others like this.
  3. Galen Galen Arkhona Vanguard

Post launch...;)

On a less salty though just a BP would do a lot imo.A bayonet im not so sure, it would mess the balance between classes a little in my opinion.But i would be willing to give it a try.Afterall several CSM weapons have bayonets on them it would be fun trying them:D(bonus points if we got a new execution for them!)
    Matsukovich likes this.
  4. Wolf Steel Wolf-Steel Subordinate

They should get pistol and knife. Makes no sense why all the heavies for the factions have no viable way to defend their selves long enough for a buddy to step in.
    No_1 likes this.
  5. 0strum 0strum Arkhona Vanguard

The developers have an annoying tendency to give meaningless answers when it comes to pistols for fire support classes... All we know for sure is that they don't consider it a priority and that we won't have them any time soon.
  6. XavierLight XavierLight Well-Known Member

All they need is their pistols, and the RPS to work correctly.
    Celestia and Nether like this.
  7. Kang Kang First Blood!

devastator pistols/melee weapons need new animations... and they'r mocapping other things currently.
    We got no luck on that.
  8. I agree they need pistols but what I would also like to see are some fire support positions on the maps that aren't instantly and easily flankable. I know JPAs are meant to be the hard counter to heavy weapons but currently I think it's too easy for them to get to their target or for anyone else to get to them for that matter.

Every position a devastator (or equivalent) can set up from is either very exposed to jump assaults slamming down on it or has 3-4 different routes for infantry to outflank them. I think heavy players would feel less annoyed at being destroyed in melee if the melee had had a hard time reaching them and the heavy had been able to make life difficult for them.
    Forj likes this.
  9. NurgleBurger NurgleBurger Steam Early Access

Lascannon an unpopular choice? Well yeah it is I guess sometimes as many people do not seem to realise they are the best weapon for Fortress maps. Enough of them targeting vindicators and attackers find it very hard to get the gates down or attempt a tank rush. How does this not register with people?? :confused:

Also for that reason, they don't need buffing. They do what they were designed to do very very well which is anti transport and sniping from afar.

A lascannon users defence should be its team. We need more people to realise you have to support heavies. They cannot do their job if the enemy are allowed to disrupt lines with ease.
    The_Roadwyrm likes this.
  10. Galen Galen Arkhona Vanguard

Those are only 2 maps ...I wasnt aware that weapons get balanced based on fortress maps only.
    And being able to "protect" themselves has little to do with them being able to do what they were designed to do.
    Nether and 0strum like this.