Background Image

I've been trying to play Lair for ages. Is this mode worth the wait?

Discussion in 'PVE Discussion' started by Isvaelin, Nov 1, 2016.

1. Rathael Rathael Arkhona Vanguard

My experience of PvE so far is that it is initially a fun change from the usual PvP. Seeing the nids is pretty cool.

Sticking together is pretty essential. Its easy to die alone if you get swamped by gaunts. Some players frequently rush off alone and get downed easily... which usually result in other players trying to help and getting downed themselves. If you're fine with this sort of mindless player behaviour, you'll probably get some sort of fun most of the time.

The other main issue is the warriors. They are extremely dangerous when they don't bug out or walk off a ledge into lava. Most groups (like over 95%) are not prepared to kill a warrior and will decimate your team. The circumstances for killing them are very specific and require a huge team effort. This is rare in random teams, so the mission fails most of the time

Alternatively you can just try to run from them. If you enjoy the excitement of escaping impossible odds and leaving your team mates to die when it counts, you should enjoy it.

I hate running. It's not exciting for me. Its boring. I prefer challenge. If you are this way inclined, you might take a power fist with you. 4 strong attacks from the power fist kills a warrior and each hit staggers the warrior long enough for another strong attack. If you can land one single strong attack without being attacked by the warrior or blocked by gaunts, you can kill warriors for your team.

However it requires team mates (1) don't drag the warrior around while running away so you can actually land your strong attack... (2) kill gaunts so they don't down you or get in your way... (3) take the warriors attention and (4) help you immediately get up if the warrior focuses you and downs you.

These combined circumstances are basically nonexistant in random groups. People usually don't pay any attention to team mates or waste time helping team mates that cant take down the warrior like like power fist users can.

Theres also krak grenades and melta bombs which are highly effective against warriors but also extremely risky. 9 times out of 10 the blast instantly kills a team mate.. often a power fist user who is trying to land one hit on the warrior.

So yeah. Its fun if you don't mind failure due to tunnel vision team mates and victory by running and bugs. Sometimes you get awesome players who know what's up and succeed against the odds. Right now, the favour is with the nids though.
    JojoKasei likes this.
  2. Lucius Vinicius JojoKasei Arkhona Vanguard

All in all it is fun with an all-premade-team (although you will still lose most of the time).
    Said fun mostly stemming from bickering, funny bugs and sarcastic comments.
    But it is far less rewarding in XP (and related currencies) than PvP.
  3. No_1 No_1 Well-Known Member

I have test the new Lair in UAT and the final stage is bugged cause the last tyranids doesnt spawn and you cant kill all to achieve the goal of the mission.

i guess it is planned to not reveal the final outro until LIVE or maybe it is only bugged.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

new mission is cooler than previous one, it have more levels, more depth in each room, more hordes, new spawns(mocus picture) even an elevator that works XD

I can´t wait to complete this misiion in Live server.

Maybe today!

Hard mode gonna be awesome -- They should add specific stuff for Hard mode success.

Like a chopped tyranid head in a chain XD
    Aislinn, Lord_Cucatrap and Cegorach like this.
  4. No_1 No_1 Well-Known Member

I have been playing solo mode, and even if you pass one level, you dont get any XP...

Hard to farm Tokens.. i get 15 XP with 50 kills.
  5. dhellfox dhellfox Steam Early Access

now that the content update is live i have to say the scaling only realy works 3+ players, less than that you might as well play hard because the outcome is the same (best run i made it half way with 2 players). you still don't get rewarded unless you win however the prize is 4-5k.

the new map is quite fun
  6. Aislinn Aislinn First Blood!

The new map is bugged. The room where you have to hold against fixed amount of nids stops spawning them at certain point.
    That's a bummer.
  7. Lucius Vinicius JojoKasei Arkhona Vanguard

No, we had this 2 times yesterday, it is one gaunt hiding on one of the balconies.
  8. Aislinn Aislinn First Blood!

Can't find the screenshots, but just to clarify- we were holding the only balcony there was in the room. We searched the whole room for the nids afterwards, threw nades in the vents. Still could not hear or see the nid.
  9. Aed Aedwynn Curator

new map looks nice but it was very laggy for me for some reason.
  10. Kalenath Kalenath Subordinate

I am getting high lag too, and not just in PVE. Several guildmates are having similar issues with PVE and PVP, and some of them are also from North America, so it isn't just me.

XP rewards have been raised, number of warriors and health of same have been lowered. Gaunts actually swarm now.

Even with the lag, I LIKE.