Background Image

Is there a way to see fps and ping? If not can it be implemented?

Discussion in 'Ask the Team' started by Kasrkin, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Kasrkin Kasrkin New Member

I live in Australia, so ping is usually pretty bad when connecting to the US. However, seeing the actual ping would give an appreciation of the current connection. As well as seeing the current fps, this would help greatly in determining what is slowing down game performance.

Often I have very poor game performance in large games (large games are the norm afaik), and I regurally wonder if its because of my PC and/or the network connection and/or the game itself. I know Eternal Crusade is in Alpha and that there are no Pacific servers available at the moment. But if I am to invest any more money into Eternal Crusade tomorrow, or in the next few months, I need to know this basic information today. It sounds very entitled but I hope you understand my situation. Of course I could hold out and not play Eternal Crusade until game performance improves (it is only just going into Beta after all), but that would be very depressing.

The UI (fps/ping) can be simple black/white.
    Could be turned on/off via the console (chat box) with a command.

Thank you.

PS:
    Do AMD graphics cards have any problems normal running of Eternal Crusade atm? (i.e.: in a 10v10 match).
  2. Tarl68 TARL68 Arkhona Vanguard

you can turn the frame rate display on via steam settings
  3. Roopevil roopevil Arkhona Vanguard

yes the game is currently undergoing AMD gpu problem worse if u have CPU
    Quag likes this.
  4. You can also check your latency/ping through windows task manager.
    Open task manager
    Find the resource monitor
    Click on the network tab
    Go to tcp connections
    And there will be a latency catagory there

I am not sure how accurate it is but I am in Australia and it is usually in the high 200s for me, which is pretty much what I get with other games. So I guess it cant be too far off.
    Kasrkin likes this.
  5. Unreal Engine has a built in console command to display information about the client and server. At its most detailed, it looks like this:

[​IMG]

I know this has carried over to UE4 since I've seen Brent using it on stream from time to time during production updates.
    Any chance that we could get access to this as a chat command? It'd go a long way in measuring performance and seeing if any gameplay quirks are related to spikes in frame time or server latency.
  6. Or you use Steams FPS Tracker.
    In Settings under In-Game, you can activate it and choose a corner and it works in every game
  7. PhilosAzel Philos Ordinate

8. Steam doesn't track latency, server framerate, frame time, spikes, or memory usage.