Background Image

Is the Boltgun Obsolete for Normal Tactical Loadouts?

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by acepost, Jan 7, 2019.

1. acepost acepost Active Member

Hi guys, since the nerf to the drum barrel mod do people still use the Boltgun over weapons like the Plasma Gun, Melta Gun or Storm Bolter?

Just wondering what you guys think about the boltgun now compared to other Tactical weapons?

Thanks for your input.
  2. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

I use storm bolter, not because bolter sucks but because knife sucks.
    Plasma gun still sucks D btw. do to lack of ammo capacity and general uselessness with its mediocre alt fire mode.
    Why bring a plasma gun when you can bring a plasma cannon.
  3. acepost acepost Active Member

I rarely deploy Plasma Cannon unless on Hold The Line maps as Attacker.

I agree the Plasma Gun could be Buffed or Rebalanced, currently its a Nice To Have weapon sometimes in my point of view.
  4. Lady Rheeva Steam Early Access

It's somewhat balanced.
    -Plasma can be really nice if you get used to it but I don't think your average EC-player handles it well.
    -Stormbolter with it's superior DPS is nice spray and pray and can be even deadlier in the right hands.
    -Melta is an AV-weapon. Stop running Meltaguns against infantry, I have no idea why people keep doing that! (Other than because good players will beat their opponents with any weapon and they like to troll)
    -The Boltgun is still the overall most versatile, most useful rifle and will perform at least as good- or better than the alternatives.
  5. Catnium Catnium Well-Known Member

Hmm I think the Bolter has changed with the small changes they made not to long ago
    Turned it into a good all round weapon for the guy on the move that's just good at being all round but nothing spectacular anymore.

Storm Bolters have become competitive enough with cqc bolters nowadays thanks to the drum nerf.

The bolter still has ammo advantage over Plasma gun but plasma gun has a very competitive damage output with just its normal fire mode and a scope to eliminate its bigger spread.
    I'd argue that the bolter is slightly better at hip fire over the plasma gun tho thanks to that spread.
    But Plasma guns packs more punch on the head shots. also where the scope comes in handy.
    And can be taken as a MC and even decant mods for lsm to work around that spread issue.
    Can Press and hold R to vent for faster recharge as well to reduce its down time.
    Giving it a really competitive reload time tbh.
    The charge up stun thingy is kinda mediocre tho. most ppl will just get out of the way anyways because of their natural movements.

Obviously better than the melta gun at AI accept maybe vs eldar or shield bro's.

Long barrel loadouts on bolter are just .. why .... just take a stalker instead..(why they ever removed long barrel from CSM I will never understand, at least they'd have somewhat of a use for it... for their Marks of Tzeenagers)

I feel that now you have an actual choice in what gun to take for which job you have in mind.
    You can still go bolter all the wai but now you atleast have competitive alternatives that have somewhat of a niche now.
  6. Viking Vking Arkhona Vanguard

The plasma gun charge up is really really good to stop someone from capping. Its basically a free kill.
  7. I've been getting mowed down a lot by storm bolters lately, seems to be the new meta for a lot of tacs.
  8. Krayt Krayt Preacher

thats what happens when all the good players are gone