Background Image

Is It Astartes Or Astarte?

Discussion in 'Space Marines' started by XXLiberatorXX, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Shonedar Shonedar Well-Known Member

yeah, Adeptus Astartes is probably something like "masters of the stars", in a very loose translation.
    XXLiberatorXX likes this.
  2. Proteus Lychoro ProteusVM Forum Beta Tester

I prefer to have Astartes refer to the collective "subspecies" and Astarte refer to a single one.

But by GW's definition, it's pretty much just Astartes for everything, plural and not.
    Avatos likes this.
  3. I think Astartes is both a play on the latin word (which is arguably the high gothic derivative) as well as the Mesopotamian goddess of fertility/war. The strange, contradictory dichotomy of the latter parallels the original purpose for which the Astartes were created - to take to the stars and sow the seed of a newborn Imperium in the wake of the death they leave behind.
    Dark-Knight and XXLiberatorXX like this.
  4. VetSarge Subordinate

It really shouldn't be either. This is one of those bizarre 40Kisms.

The organization is called the Adeptus Astartes which is some pseudo-Latin mumbo jumbo meant to sound like it translates to Adepts of the Stars. It's like calling someone who was in the United States Navy a Navy, or someone in the US Army an Army. Or somebody in the Adeptus Mechanicus a Mechanicus.

You call a US Marine a Marine because he is a member of the United States Marine Corps. Which is a Corps made up of Marines.

The term "Astartes" as a reference to an individual Space Marine (or to multiple individuals) cropped up only relatively recently. In the old days they were always individually known as Space Marines, which would be the only "correct" way to refer to them, grammatically speaking.
    XXLiberatorXX likes this.
  5. Thank you all for your input, I appreciate it.

I was wondering about it the other day, and though I enjoy how Space Marine sounds, it gets repetitive to hear continuously, while Astartes has a particular flavor to it. To use both interchangeably adds more options while writing about them.

I do enjoy the different interpretations of what "Adeptus Astartes" means, I find it quite enlightening.
    Avatos likes this.
  6. ULTRA ULTRAMERC Subordinate

keep in mind, WH40k uses VERY corrupt Latin. and I believe a lot of the names and stuff are just made up because it sounds cool
  7. I wouldn't say it's very corrupt; just bastardized through the tens of thousands of years it's been around. Isn't Gothic Latin that was changed to the official language of the Imperium?
    Golokopitenko likes this.
  8. Golokopitenko Golokopitenko Well-Known Member

Exactly... it sounds like bastardized latin because that's exactly what High Gothic is.
  9. ULTRA ULTRAMERC Subordinate

10. We read High Gothic as Latin-esque and Low Gothic as English.
    But actually High Gothic is what European Languages, including English, becomes after 28,000 years with Low Gothic being a new language which we wouldn't be able to understand.